Prospect Info: 17th overall Curtis Lazar (C/RW) from the Edmonton Oil Kings

BonkTastic

ಠ_ಠ
Nov 9, 2010
Parts Unknown
Sometimes I wonder about these boards... No one called Lazar a bust and yet here we are, multiple posters making witty remarks about how how a bunch of us thinks that he is....

HFSens as a whole is a funny duckling:

- Wikstrand is a top-5 prospect based on a 3-week sample size
- Bobby Butler is a Calder candidate
- Brian Lee is indispensable
- etc...

BK201

Apr 11, 2011

- Bobby Butler is a Calder candidate
- Brian Lee is indispensable
- etc...

I wasn't going to retort anything but this sums it up.

DylanSensFan

BEESHIP: NBH
Aug 3, 2010
Calgary
Regin was considered a burgeoning top-6 forward after that Pittsburgh series.

He still very well could be with a fresh start. He had injury after injury and lost all of his confidence. It goes a long way in professional sports.

I would not say Regin is done by any means.

YouGotAStuGoing

Mar 26, 2010
Ottawa, Ontario
Guy with character issues... Nichushkin? Shinkaruk, maybe?

Really happy to see Lazar topping the Quality rankings in the Priority 1 list. And the praise when they're discussing Rychel. Obviously we weren't the only ones to like him a lot. I'm surprised they're allowed to show parts where they discuss players not in their organization, though.

Interesting but not surprising that Buffalo wanted Domi.

Love that he shut down Marc Bergevin so thoroughly on pick 19.

Marko Dano is going to be great for Columbus. Maybe a bit early, but since they couldn't find a deal to swap down it's still a damn solid pick. Been pumping his tires since before the draft.

I love these kinds of videos. Sure wish more teams would make themselves as available.

Karlssonlee

Jan 13, 2009
An interesting behind the scenes look at CBJ draft day.

Thought it was kinda neat to hear how highly they had Lazar ranked and how they kept talking about his leadership and his character.

http://video.bluejackets.nhl.com/videocenter/console?catid=219&id=263713&cmpid=embed-share-video

Great video coverage.

check out the Philly behind the scene. It looks like they have Lazar ranked 15th.

http://www.cbssports.com/nhl/blog/e...s-take-you-behind-the-scenes-before-the-draft

FunkySeeFunkyDoo

Feb 3, 2009
Ottawa

Fyi this never happened.

During the WJC with numerous over the top glowing reports on his play, but me not having seen any of his games, I posted something like:

"So where does he rank in our prospect poll? Top 5?"

I wasn't asserting he was top 5, and only put a number in the question to force people to slot him realistically.

No one, absolutely no one, came back and said "yeah, he is in the top 5".

Icelevel

During these difficult times...
Sep 9, 2009

Thought it was kinda neat to hear how highly they had Lazar ranked and how they kept talking about his leadership and his character.

http://video.bluejackets.nhl.com/videocenter/console?catid=219&id=263713&cmpid=embed-share-video

Good stuff. Although really makes me appreciate our management/scouting staff a little more. These guys look a little on the less informed, amateur side in comparison in my opinion.

DJB

Jan 6, 2009
twitter.com

Loved seeing the phone calls coming in left right and centre. My guess is that when Bergervin called, he wanted Rychel too. Settled on the bottom 6 tough guy with limited offensive skill instead.

ElRossoMatt

Feb 13, 2010
Bucharest,Romania
Great video coverage.

check out the Philly behind the scene. It looks like they have Lazar ranked 15th.

http://www.cbssports.com/nhl/blog/e...s-take-you-behind-the-scenes-before-the-draft

What the ****??!? I thought the Jackets staff is unprepared but looking at this Philly behind the scene..man they take it to another level of stupidity. They're moving Monahan to no. 11 or 12 on their list from no. 6 based on a couple of hours discussion right before the draft? Look at Holmgren. He is shocked, he can't believe what the scouts did.

Thank god we have Pierre Dorion. This vids make me think that in 8-9 years our scouting staff will be recognised more than it is now because this kind of amateurism will bite teams like the Flyers in the future.

BondraTime

Nov 20, 2005
East Coast
What the ****??!? I thought the Jackets staff is unprepared but looking at this Philly behind the scene..man they take it to another level of stupidity. They're moving Monahan to no. 11 or 12 on their list from no. 6 based on a couple of hours discussion right before the draft? Look at Holmgren. He is shocked, he can't believe what the scouts did.

Thank god we have Pierre Dorion. This vids make me think that in 8-9 years our scouting staff will be recognised more than it is now because this kind of amateurism will bite teams like the Flyers in the future.

The "couple of hours of discussion" was based on the whole second half of scouting they did prior to the draft.

It's not as though they made the list they are discussing a day before this discussion.

There is no "amateurism" involved in this. If you don't think the Sens, and every team in the league, had a similar discussion and meeting leading to similar moves you are being foolish.

danielpalfredsson

youtube dot com /watch?v=CdqMZ_s7Y6k
Aug 14, 2013
Curtis Lazar has a 4.5 star potential rating in NHL 13....I think they made the right choice.

danielpalfredsson

youtube dot com /watch?v=CdqMZ_s7Y6k
Aug 14, 2013
:facepalm:

According to NHL 13 David Rundblad is an 86/87 overall by this coming season too...

We have nothing to worry about, we can just trade our 2020 and 2021 first round draft picks for Nathan McKinnon during the off season.

IranCondraAffair

Mar 10, 2006
Lazar's draft position wasn't set in stone, he's kind of like Domi in that regard, different teams had him all over their boards. I would imagine his draft position had a high degree of variance.

Some teams will love him for his skills, attitude, and potential which makes him a top-10 pick.
Others will look at his actual WHL production and see him as a bottom-10 pick or a 2nd rounder.

Columbus and Ottawa had Lazar rated very highly.
Philly had him at 15
I'm sure others had him in the late 1st round.

Personally, I think he was drafted where he should have been. I know we have some of the best scouts in the league but if Ottawa had moved up into the top-10 to grab him I would have been pissed.

We actually had some very good options where we were. Rychel, Lazar, and Mueller were all very good players and would have been worth it at #15. I was less high on Mantha and Shinkaruk.

ElRossoMatt

Feb 13, 2010
Bucharest,Romania
The "couple of hours of discussion" was based on the whole second half of scouting they did prior to the draft.

It's not as though they made the list they are discussing a day before this discussion.

There is no "amateurism" involved in this. If you don't think the Sens, and every team in the league, had a similar discussion and meeting leading to similar moves you are being foolish.

That's exactly what I'm saying. They probably worked a lot on that list. I'm sure that the Sens and all the teams have such discussions but at that point(the meeting clearly takes place a couple of days before the draft) and that's what I can't believe, to move a guy from 6 to 11 or 12 is insane. Who does such drastic moves days before the draft? And Holmgren is shocked. You have to be blind not to see that. Especially after what he says to the scouts.

Or you may be right, I don't know. But the GM's reaction tells me that they were out to lunch with the Monahan move.

Last edited:

Icelevel

During these difficult times...
Sep 9, 2009
trade this guy asap
package him up with phillips

or demand he changes agencies

Beville

#ForTheBoys
Mar 4, 2011
Engerlanddd!
Fyi this never happened.

During the WJC with numerous over the top glowing reports on his play, but me not having seen any of his games, I posted something like:

"So where does he rank in our prospect poll? Top 5?"

I wasn't asserting he was top 5, and only put a number in the question to force people to slot him realistically.

No one, absolutely no one, came back and said "yeah, he is in the top 5".

I'm sure he's not specifically talking about you...

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad