Prospect Info: 17th overall Curtis Lazar (C/RW) from the Edmonton Oil Kings

DJB

Jan 6, 2009
twitter.com
I think that if you're looking at Lazar purely from a numbers standpoint over his last two seasons it would be a mistake. He wasn't given the same kind of opportunity other top flight offensive prospects were given in Edmonton, and he also made a very obvious effort to work on other parts of his game that will make him a true winner at the next level (determination, grit, defensive work, leadership).

Just my opinion though...he's a guy that I really liked all year.

Exactly. Lazar played mostly 2nd line minutes around 16-17 minutes a game with 2nd line pp and still put up 38 goals. Guys like Rychel, Mantha etc played huge minutes upwards of 25 minutes a night.

Lazar is going to have a monster season. 40+ goals for sure.

Do Make Say Think

& Yet & Yet
Jun 26, 2007
Was that a joke post?

The way some people seem to be talking about him you'd expect him to have more than one assist in a game where his team scores seven goals

I'm not worried though, he's still very far away from making the NHL so he's got plenty of time

sens613

Apr 12, 2012
If Lazar had a hat-trick today, I can guarantee you everyone would be eager to deduce...

So since it would be ridiculous for people to celebrate a meaningless hat trick in an exhibition game it would not be ridiculous to pout over a 1 point game in a route? pot meet tea kettle.

BK201

Apr 11, 2011
Ahhhh knee jerk reactions never change around here.

I remember when last year when I had to argue Zibanejad was fine now a 1 point game(which is better than no points I might add) where we know nothing more than that, not even his line mates or minutes and you guys get upset.

Sometimes I just don't understand. What is he was playing a defensive shutdown role?

Proust*

Dec 8, 2010
So since it would be ridiculous for people to celebrate a meaningless hat trick in an exhibition game it would not be ridiculous to pout over a 1 point game in a route? pot meet tea kettle.

It was in semi-jest. I thought that was obvious. Of course one game does not mean anything.

Optimistic posts about a hat-trick would have been celebrated, not dismissed. My pessimistic post is proving a lot more abrasive. It's called homerism: Excuse bad performances, celebrate good ones.

Exhibit A:

Sometimes I just don't understand. What is he was playing a defensive shutdown role?

h2

Mar 26, 2002
Zibanejad was considered a bust back in December around here, Lazar will be fine.

Do Make Say Think

& Yet & Yet
Jun 26, 2007
Sometimes I wonder about these boards... No one called Lazar a bust and yet here we are, multiple posters making witty remarks about how how a bunch of us thinks that he is....

It was fairly obvious that Proust was jesting

BK201

Apr 11, 2011
It was in semi-jest. I thought that was obvious. Of course one game does not mean anything.

Optimistic posts about a hat-trick would have been celebrated, not dismissed. My pessimistic post is proving a lot more abrasive. It's called homerism: Excuse bad performances, celebrate good ones.

Exhibit A:

I excuse nothing I ask questions how is it negative to have 1 point. There's no context to the post. I have to take it at face value and around here I expect pretty crappy reactions tbh.

Do Make Say Think

& Yet & Yet
Jun 26, 2007
I excuse nothing I ask questions how is it negative to have 1 point. There's no context to the post. I have to take it at face value and around here I expect pretty crappy reactions tbh.

I'd say that a strong majority of posters on here are fairly reasonnable. Why expect crappy reactions?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad