Prospect Info: #170 OA - Defenseman - Patrick Holway, USMAAAE

Marky9er

Jan 30, 2008
Got him 170 overall, good size and athletic...hes a lacrosse player which usually translates to good hands. Going to develop at Maine, I think that is an excellent recipe...if you have just an ounce of patience.

sarcastro

Jul 28, 2005
Like every other draft eligible player, I know nothing about this guy or how he might turn out. But I like the idea of a 6'4 RH offensive defenseman with extra time to develop in college. Maine is a good hockey program.

Syckle78

Nov 5, 2011
Redford, MI
This is the only intriguing pick to me outside of the first. I guess the speedy midget defenseman might turn into something.

Boomhower

Aug 23, 2003
Ontario
Visit site
Shouldn't you have decided by 18 wether you're a hockey or lacrosse player?

At 16 Yo Seth Griffith was said to be the best lacrosse player for his age.
Commited to hockey that year, was eventually 5th round pick and played for Boston last year.

Lots of American athletes play baseball and football into their late teens. Russell Wilson, Jamies Winston ect. are most recent.
Some experts argue that playing two sports growing up is better for development.

Maine committed to him, yes he played at a low level last year, but he is a known talent and sounds like he has potential to greatly improve. That's what you look for in a 6th round pick IMO.

Last edited:

ChadS

Jun 30, 2009
http://www.eliteprospects.com/player.php?player=203358

I'll reserve judgement on this one for now, but not very excited based on the league he plays in at his age.
Same league where Dekeyser spent his draft year. Holway 25 points 28 games, DK 14 points 25 games so not all hope is lost. ;)

Seriously, this pick is so far off the board that whoever is responsible for it must really think highly of this kid. He'll play for Dubuque (USHL) next year so that should give us somewhat of an idea on his upside.

Rzombo4 prez

May 17, 2012
I don't mind the Holway pick at all. Sure you wish he had spent his draft year in a better league, but he sounds like a very good athlete. Dubuque will be good for him. If you aren't taking projects late in the draft, when are you going to take them?

ChadS

Jun 30, 2009
Holway played for Boston Advantage's U18 AAA team last season and has committed to play for the University of Maine in 2016-17. He hopes to play in the USHL or BJCHL before going to college.

"He played at a lower level in Midget hockey in Boston, so he might need a little time," Wright said. "But he's a big kid that can skate; he's got good hockey sense. He's kind of got the full package; he just hasn't played at a high level. We would have been devastated if we couldn't have gotten him in the seventh so we stepped up on him in the sixth."

http://www.mlive.com/redwings/index.ssf/2015/06/detroit_red_wings_fill_needs_a.html

zecke26

Jan 16, 2003
I took the bait.

Mike Lundin and Doug Janik were the best ones. Keith Carney before the cutoff.

ok, good ones. but neither lundin nor janik were involved in offensive play at the NHL level.

i'm not sold on maine's program much. it could be worse, but it could also be a lot better. though it's interesting to have two players at maine soon. and of course it did no damage to gus to develop there. no media coverage for most of the time and focus on hockey (and some education).

Run the Jewels

Make Detroit Great Again
Jun 22, 2006
In the Garage
Surprised people aren't more excited about this pick. Huge RH offensive defenseman. Yeah, he's a college player, but he's exactly the kind of guy Detroit needs to draft.

It's a quality pickup and he'll have time to develop in college. I don't think Maine has a rep for developing d-men so we'll see how that works out. The Black Bears have done a better job with goalies and forwards.

Vatican Roulette

Baile de Los Locos
Feb 28, 2002
Gorillaz-EPWRID
Visit site
Same league where Dekeyser spent his draft year. Holway 25 points 28 games, DK 14 points 25 games so not all hope is lost. ;)

Seriously, this pick is so far off the board that whoever is responsible for it must really think highly of this kid. He'll play for Dubuque (USHL) next year so that should give us somewhat of an idea on his upside.

Really...interesting.

Bench

3 is a good start
Aug 14, 2011
crease
I always feel nervous about drafting north americans in the really later rounds. I feel like they never pan out.

It's a long shot, no question. For offensive leaders, you've got Tyler Johnson (undrafted) and Mark Stone (178th) that were among NHL scoring leaders and North American.

For defenders, it's more optimistic. Dennis Wideman (241st), Muzzin (141st), Giordano (undrafted), Dustin Byfuglien (245th), Krug (undrafted), Wisniewski (156).

There's more, but I won't dig through all of them. Gems to be found even in North America, but it's certainly tricky.

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010
It's a long shot, no question. For offensive leaders, you've got Tyler Johnson (undrafted) and Mark Stone (178th) that were among NHL scoring leaders and North American.

For defenders, it's more optimistic. Dennis Wideman (241st), Muzzin (141st), Giordano (undrafted), Dustin Byfuglien (245th), Krug (undrafted), Wisniewski (156).

There's more, but I won't dig through all of them. Gems to be found even in North America, but it's certainly tricky.

Palat (208th), Moulson (263), Hornqvist (230th), Pavelski (205th) to name some forwards

Bench

3 is a good start
Aug 14, 2011
crease
Palat (208th), Moulson (263), Hornqvist (230th), Pavelski (205th) to name some forwards

Hornqvist was in Sweden. Palat is Czech, but was playing in Canada at the draft, I didn't notice that at first glance. Pavelski is a good one!

The Zetterberg Era

Ball Hockey Sucks
Nov 8, 2011
Ft. Myers, FL

North American players Frk It. So those two do not really apply, though Palat was drafted out of the Q.

Pavalski and Moulson dropped because of significant skating questions.

I like this pick a lot, once again an example of the Wings going to areas they think are undervalued and not scouted as heavily. They do an amazing job of that in my opinion.

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010
North American players Frk It. So those two do not really apply, though Palat was drafted out of the Q.

Pavalski and Moulson dropped because of significant skating questions.

It's Saturday night ok, I've had a few drinks!

Bench

3 is a good start
Aug 14, 2011
crease
It's Saturday night ok, I've had a few drinks!

I hear you, brother.

anigif_enhanced-buzz-17565-1381777195-49.gif

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad