Prospect Info: #170 OA - Defenseman - Patrick Holway, USMAAAE

Chex LeMeneux

May 4, 2014
Metro Detroit
I honestly think this guy may be the most intriguing prospect in this draft behind Svech and Saarijarvi. Big, rangy d-man who skates well and has a decent right handed shot... sounds pretty exciting to me. I'd be interested in seeing research on athletes who played multiple sports prior to the draft. I feel like those guys may have more room to grow because they can now focus on developing in one sport instead of two.

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010
Kid is reportedly up to 210 lbs, per recent MLive article.

So 6'4", 210lb RHD. Pretty intriguing. With room for more weight it sounds.

The Red Wings liked Holway's size when they drafted him and he's gotten even bigger since then, adding 26 pounds to his still-lean 6-foot-4 frame.

"I came in a little bit scrawny last year, was about 184. Now I'm up to 210. I put on a little bit of muscle so I can muscle guys around in the corner."
http://www.mlive.com/redwings/index..._prospect_patrick_hol.html#incart_river_index

The Zetterberg Era

Ball Hockey Sucks
Nov 8, 2011
Ft. Myers, FL
Kid is reportedly up to 210 lbs, per recent MLive article.

So 6'4", 210lb RHD. Pretty intriguing. With room for more weight it sounds.

http://www.mlive.com/redwings/index..._prospect_patrick_hol.html#incart_river_index

I am pretty fascinated to see him at Maine. Pearson is a talented player so for Wings fans tuning in to see both will be pretty awesome. I know you said you were hoping to make it up to a game this year right Frk It?

In terms of Holway what I have trouble with is determining what kind of skater he actually is. I expected him to get quite big, he had the frame from what little I have seen when looking him up. But I am not sure he is very good skater which along with the glut in numbers really did in Nedomlel who has a similar profile while being a mean hockey player. So it will come down to skating gains likely in terms of Holway. Probably should be put in as the add soon though in terms of our prospect rankings. Lots of room to grow and lots of time to do that at Maine.

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010
I am pretty fascinated to see him at Maine. Pearson is a talented player so for Wings fans tuning in to see both will be pretty awesome. I know you said you were hoping to make it up to a game this year right Frk It?

In terms of Holway what I have trouble with is determining what kind of skater he actually is. I expected him to get quite big, he had the frame from what little I have seen when looking him up. But I am not sure he is very good skater which along with the glut in numbers really did in Nedomlel who has a similar profile while being a mean hockey player. So it will come down to skating gains likely in terms of Holway. Probably should be put in as the add soon though in terms of our prospect rankings. Lots of room to grow and lots of time to do that at Maine.

Hoping to make it to a game to see both these guys, yeah. I have 2 cousins that go there. If so I'll definitely give an impression of our guys.

I know next to nothing about Holway, so interested to see what he looks like.

Regarding his skating, wasn't he a lacrosse player who started playing hockey late or something? Could just be a technique thing, and as he refines it the foot speed comes with it.

Lampedampe

Feb 26, 2015
I've just been stat watching but it seems like this guy has really taken another step this season. Has anyone here watched him play this season, if so, how has his overall game looked and what kind of defenseman is he?

Leading his team in ppg with 12pts in 13 gp as a defenseman is quite impressive.

ChadS

Jun 30, 2009
Quite unusual that he's had a point in only 6 of 13 games but is still almost a point per game. Three 3-point nights so far.

Oddbob

Jan 21, 2016
What kind of realistic projection is there for this guy? Is he a potential Top 4, Bottom 6, AHL guy? Also where does he stand on our current prospect depth chart?

Henkka

Jan 31, 2004
Tampere, Finland
What kind of realistic projection is there for this guy? Is he a potential Top 4, Bottom 6, AHL guy? Also where does he stand on our current prospect depth chart?

I could project him as 3rd pair righty, 2nd PK guy who plays ~15min at maximum.

If he will reach his potential. Tough to say about these college kids. They'll come in after those "hidden" years at college and can suddenly be damn ready.

Reactions: Oddbob

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->