Post-Game Talk: #17 - Rangers @ Sens

Status
Not open for further replies.

aufheben

#Norris4Fox
Jan 31, 2013
New Jersey
Can we do away with the narative that this teams defense isnt good enough.

This team is on an epic run and its being sustained by playing some very good defense which is lead by an all world goalie who is locked and loaded right now.

Add another legit scorer and this team is a juggernaut.

Pls Zuccarello is better defensively than half of them.

24th in 5-on-5 High-Danger Scoring Chances Against/60
20th in 5-on-5 Scoring Chances Against/60
24th in 5-on-5 Shots Against/60
25th in 5-on-5 Shot Attempts/60
15th in 5-on-5 Shot Attempts Close/60

Meanwhile Henrik's SV% in High-Danger areas is astronomical. Not saying this team can't win a Cup or anything but it's not a narrative.

Last edited:

Captain Lindy

Formerly known as Kreider Beast
Apr 1, 2006
Virginia

Meanwhile Henrik's SV% in High-Danger areas is astronomical. Not saying this team can't win a Cup or anything but it's not a narrative.
Huh??? :huh:

aufheben

#Norris4Fox
Jan 31, 2013
New Jersey
It's a long season, (although already almost 20% over!), we'll see how Boyle holds up and if Staal gets his head out of his ass. Never know what could happen at the TDL.

aufheben

#Norris4Fox
Jan 31, 2013
New Jersey
With montreal getting dismantled tonight, we're now in 1st place by having a game in hand. feelsgoodman.jpg
rofl thanks Avs

Man-with-beard-approves.gif

TheTakedown

Puck is Life
Jul 11, 2012
Can we do away with the narative that this teams defense isnt good enough.

This team is on an epic run and its being sustained by playing some very good defense which is lead by an all world goalie who is locked and loaded right now.

Add another legit scorer and this team is a juggernaut.

LORD GOD.... we are bleeding shots against so bad...

This defense is NOT elite. Actually, it's not even good! 1/3 of it is slow, old, declining, and totally overpaid (Staal and Girardi). 1/6th of it is on it's last legs (Boyle). Anyone would know that if they watched another team who was actually good defensively--which, to their fairness, is like 2 teams in the east.

Glen Sathers Cigar

Sather 4 Ever
Feb 4, 2013
New York
Honestly, is Marc Staal our Glass this season? Not nearly as bad of a hockey player but completely out of place on a top team in the league.

There is no Glass this year. Glass was one of the worst players in the post 04 lockout era of the NHL. He was a complete anchor on a successful team and it was such an easy fix that 99% of hockey fans could see, yet he remained an every day player. He wasn't on the ice for a 5v5 goal for until February I believe, he didn't score his first and only goal as a Ranger until March. He was a truly awful specimen.

On top of that, he was blocking superior players from playing, he was playing the majority of the season while Anthony Duclair, James Sheppard or JT Miller would be in the press box.

Staal is god damn Chris Pronger compared to Glass.

Glen Sathers Cigar

Sather 4 Ever
Feb 4, 2013
New York
Yeah, Staal sucks just as bad as Girardi...

Girardi's only here because the RHD on this team is trash (sigh, Stralsy)... Staal's here because Skjei wasn't ready. There's a difference

What is scary is that the front office may believe that it's not Staal who is here because Skjei isn't ready, but Yandle is the stop gap until Skjei is ready.

I forgot we had Diaz in the club still. Why isn't Diaz playing? I never could figure out why they shipped him out of either Montreal or Vancouver. Solid player, rarely makes mistakes, and can contribute on the offense too. A poor mans Strålman, but still can play 2nd paring if his partner is good enough.

Sorry, but this is just not true. Diaz is just not that good. Diaz is a journeyman, if he was playing 2nd pair minutes it would be an utter disaster. He makes copious amounts of mistakes, most Rangers fans just don't realize this because he only played about 10 games for us and all anyone remembers is him having an itchy trigger on the PP and throwing some bombs on net. He was fighting for a roster spot in the preseason and played dreadfully. It's an insult to Stralman to say Diaz is even in the same stratosphere as him.

I thought Girardi was legit good today

I agree, honestly Girardi has looked good for a while now. His start was atrocious and he still has his foibles are a player, but he's been pretty solid and steady lately.

Last edited:

offdacrossbar

misfit fanboy
Jun 25, 2006
da cuse
LORD GOD.... we are bleeding shots against so bad...

This defense is NOT elite. Actually, it's not even good! 1/3 of it is slow, old, declining, and totally overpaid (Staal and Girardi). 1/6th of it is on it's last legs (Boyle). Anyone would know that if they watched another team who was actually good defensively--which, to their fairness, is like 2 teams in the east.

and yet we are in first overall ??? you are the living, breathing narrative of which i speak. corsi guy right ?

seriously, your comment isn't fair nor is it even base in reality. 1/3 old slow and declining...oh and still very effective. boyle is a solid #6 guy when used properly and he is by av. this defense is top notch and the envy of the entire league.

tied in wins

fewest losses

tops in goals against

lead the league in gaa/gp at 1.65

5th in pk

and before you say its all henrik, please note antti raanta and his 3 wins and his stupid numbers. .67 and .976. and that cam talbot guy ? 3.0 and .893, a creation of this bad defense perhaps ? :nod:

by any measure, this is an excellent team. weve beaten good to very good teams, weve beaten bad teams. were winning playing less than our best yet, we are still winning. were doing things good/great teams do. and the numbers show a team that plays great defense.

the above numbers don't agree with your statement that " this defense is not even good". the sense of entitlement here with this defense is comical. all they do is win and all we hear is whining.

thats that narrative again. :shakehead

SA16

Sixstring
Aug 25, 2006
Long Island
Saying absolutely nothing about our defensive play or stats...

I don't understand how the default argument to almost anything criticizing the team is:

13-2-2 record.

offdacrossbar

misfit fanboy
Jun 25, 2006
da cuse
Saying absolutely nothing about our defensive play or stats...

I don't understand how the default argument to almost anything criticizing the team is:

13-2-2 record.

the w/l record speaks for itself.

the defensive numbers speak directly to the narrative

Whitehawk1186

Mar 12, 2015
New Haven, CT
and yet we are in first overall ??? you are the living, breathing narrative of which i speak. corsi guy right ?

seriously, your comment isn't fair nor is it even base in reality. 1/3 old slow and declining...oh and still very effective. boyle is a solid #6 guy when used properly and he is by av. this defense is top notch and the envy of the entire league.

tied in wins

fewest losses

tops in goals against

lead the league in gaa/gp at 1.65

5th in pk

and before you say its all henrik, please note antti raanta and his 3 wins and his stupid numbers. .67 and .976. and that cam talbot guy ? 3.0 and .893, a creation of this bad defense perhaps ? :nod:

by any measure, this is an excellent team. weve beaten good to very good teams, weve beaten bad teams. were winning playing less than our best yet, we are still winning. were doing things good/great teams do. and the numbers show a team that plays great defense.

the above numbers don't agree with your statement that " this defense is not even good". the sense of entitlement here with this defense is comical. all they do is win and all we hear is whining.

thats that narrative again. :shakehead

:handclap::handclap:

Hunter Gathers

The Crown
Feb 27, 2002
parts unknown

And the defensive numbers aren't even bad when you take into account moments when the game is close. We have a solid defense and an elite goalie. The defense keeps shots to the outside when we are leading and takes more chances when the game is close or we are tied/behind. I love the way our team plays right now.

I'm convinced the stats guys who are whining (not guys like Rasp and Machine who grasp the differences in the team with a lead versus close, but guys like TheTakedown who are just whining without context) are really not paying attention to the games. I actually like the perspective of guys like Rasp lately who I think has gotten a lot better at breaking down the game. I ripped on him a bit in the past, yet I think he's one of the most important contributors to the board now even if I disagree with him a fair bit.

aufheben

#Norris4Fox
Jan 31, 2013
New Jersey

Those aren't defensive numbers. Not that numbers are really needed to see this team has not been "very good" defensively this season. I'm not even saying the defense is bad!

The team's record says they win a lot. That doesn't mean anything within this context.

Last edited:

Hunter Gathers

The Crown
Feb 27, 2002
parts unknown
Those aren't defensive numbers. Not that numbers are really needed to see this team has not been "very good" defensively this season. I'm not even saying the defense is bad!

The team has been average to slightly above average when the game is close and then they give up shots when leading but limit prime scoring opportunities. The defense has been fine. The perception is a bit silly since some folks believe that any shot is a bad shot.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad