Speculation: 17 NHL Scouts at Grand Rapids/Texas game tonight

Burnt Biscuits

May 2, 2010
Why are we frustrated? He played very well in his first year in the AHL, fought injuries in his second and then has nearly tied his goal totals from last year through 15 games. I think management is still really into the kid its just we are incredibly deep at LW/C in the NHL and thats his position

To the topic of this thread I would imagine its teams looking at our prospects as we need a 2nd line winger and should be a buyer at the deadline.
I don't know what has or hasn't happened to him injury wise, but I watched him a handful of times in both his rookie and sophomore AHL seasons and it look like his game regressed a bit in his 2nd year, he also demonstrated some inconsistency in terms of effort, which are the prospects that tend to frustrate organizations. I think Dallas drafted him with the intent of him being a top 6 forward and based on production levels in the AHL relative to his age he is tracking more as a bottom 6 forward at the moment.

WhatWhat

Aug 7, 2014
I don't know what has or hasn't happened to him injury wise, but I watched him a handful of times in both his rookie and sophomore AHL seasons and it look like his game regressed a bit in his 2nd year, he also demonstrated some inconsistency in terms of effort, which are the prospects that tend to frustrate organizations. I think Dallas drafted him with the intent of him being a top 6 forward and based on production levels in the AHL relative to his age he is tracking more as a bottom 6 forward at the moment.

Well we drafted him as a guy who had the 2-way label. Middle 6 was always more of where he projected. As for your quote about him regressing in his second year that was due to his injury/surgery he said himself he wasnt 100% until just about the end of last year. So far this year he has 8 goals in 15 games in the AHL and has already had a call up.

Thanks to his "injury" year he probably spends most if not all of this year in the AHL but he should get a spot next year as he was one of the best looking kids in camp this year

Yatzhee

Aug 5, 2010
I think NHL scouts are like a fraternity and they probably like scheduling games together so they can all hang out, maybe compare notes and have dinner & a beer afterwards.

I agree. I was recently talking to a scout who said something similar. "Hey I was at a game and ran across so and so - you remember him!" I didn't but that's beside the point.

Family member is in the NHL scouting business, and no, they aren't there to shoot the breeze or catch up.
This many scouts, Dallas is prepared to make a move.

Jacob

as seen on TV
Feb 27, 2002
All you have to do is find the multitude of previous threads about X, Y, Z scouts at some game and realize it almost never means anything.

WhatWhat

Aug 7, 2014
All you have to do is find the multitude of previous threads about X, Y, Z scouts at some game and realize it almost never means anything.
usually it means nothing as most NHL games will have a handful of scouts from different teams. but 19 team at an AHL game isnt an everyday event

bellringer77

Nov 14, 2017
part of me wants Holland to make a move. the other part is scared Holland will do something obscene

Woodhouse

Dec 20, 2007
New York, NY
I don’t see why 17 scouts are at an AHL game for nothing.
Well, the simplest explanation is that pro scouts are doing their jobs. Any regional scout based out of Chicago and Detroit could have made the drive to Grand Rapids with no closer NHL/AHL games on the schedule, while New York scouts would have had options between Allentown or Hartford on Wednesday night.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad