Post-Game Talk: 17 games to go

SoupGuru

May 12, 2007
Spokane
Or maybe he continues to regress as does everyone because of the coaching staff and/or the lack of talent around him.

I was going to say.... does anyone really feel confident rating players this year? EVERYONE has been so bad. For all we know, Sheahan could be a 20 goal scorer on a different team. Who knows?

Red Stanley

Apr 25, 2015
USA
Well, at least both Boston and Ottawa won tonight. Hoping they end up at 2 and 3 so I have at least one team to cheer for in the second round. Florida grabbing 8th would be nice for us with that conditional pick, but wouldn't mind Philly or NYI taking it. Anyone but TB or Toronto. This season needs to end already ...

FlashyG

Dec 15, 2011
Toronto
I had high hopes for a Riley Sheahan 4 goal 3rd period, sparking the comeback in not only the game, but an 18 game winning streak extending the playoff streak.

You failed me Tinky Winky.

Wood Stick

Dec 25, 2015
Or maybe he continues to regress as does everyone because of the coaching staff and/or the lack of talent around him.

I get that, but defensively he's been so bad. His stick has been terrible, positioning off, physically tormented, and he's getting beat on the feet.

HIFE

May 10, 2011
Detroit, MI
Just watched the highlights......brutal.

To those who endured all 60 minutes - I salute you

Thank you, thank you. Yeah it was really bad but it's been that way for so long I can't remember what month I gave up truly caring. December? I know Toronto started as a blowout but the Wings competed hard until the buzzer and made a game of it. This was terrible in every facet I bet they'd end the season right now if they could.

So many NBC games this month and last it's embarrassing. 2 weeks ago there was a Philadelphia/Colorado game scheduled they ended up switching the broadcast to Rangers I think; they have the freedom to choose. I would rather they pull the plug on the Wings there's nothing to see here.

Pavels Dog

Feb 18, 2013
Sweden
Detroit is on pace for 77 points this season. For reference:

* They had 93 points last year.
* 77 would've been good for the 5th worst record last year (TOR 69, EDM 70, VAN 75, CLB 76. CGY also had 77, but would've had the tiebreaker with a ROW of 33).

Yikes. A ROW of 18, with 17 games remaining. Last year, the Leafs had a league-worst ROW of 23, and that's with being intentionally and openly awful to start a rebuild.

Ugh. Just...just ugh.
Are you now saying this is a bad thing? Losing all our remaining games is ideal. The players have given up, and we don't have a coach like Babcock who will push them to perform at an acceptable level. That fact sucked earlier in the season but at this point it's becoming a necessary evil.

Less teams tanking than last year also means we're less likely to get easy points. Top 3 pick isn't impossible

jkutswings

hot piss hockey
Jul 10, 2014
Are you now saying this is a bad thing? Losing all our remaining games is ideal. The players have given up, and we don't have a coach like Babcock who will push them to perform at an acceptable level. That fact sucked earlier in the season but at this point it's becoming a necessary evil.

Less teams tanking than last year also means we're less likely to get easy points. Top 3 pick isn't impossible
Oh, I completely agree with you in terms of maximizing assets for a rebuild, and I'm totally on board.

But it's still a brutal quality of hockey to watch in the process.

So keep getting beaten with the ugly stick, Wings! :D

joe89

Apr 30, 2009
I've pretty much checked out on this season. Maybe I'll evaluate some players but it's hard to do that on a team in free fall since all of them will naturally look bad.

Maybe root for some Z points, the watch for 1000 points is certainly on after this season.

ArGarBarGar

What do we want!? Unfair!
Sep 8, 2008
It's a good thing we spent to the cap to be competitive the season before the new arena.

Zetterberg4Captain

Aug 11, 2009
Detroit
We're more likely to be the 06-14 leads if Holland thinks he can add veterans via free agency and then after a decade we will begin a 5 test tear it down rebuild

We don't have to be though. Keep our hard working veterans that are our link to our past (zetterberg and kronwalk) trade some players for more picks and prospects, draft high and draft well for two to three years and we will be right back in it

Lazlo Hollyfeld

The jersey ad still sucks
Mar 4, 2004
It's a good thing we spent to the cap to be competitive the season before the new arena.

That's what makes how awful the team is even more embarrassing. The inadvertent tank. Heading in to this season Holland thought they could be a playoff team.

All you can do is laugh really.

Zetterberg4Captain

Aug 11, 2009
Detroit
hopefully the michigan experiment is over

dekeyser is hot garbage, no excuse, he is not a rookie anymore

glendening is a plug

larkin gets a pass as a 20 year old but better get to work this summer and be much better going forward

jkutswings

hot piss hockey
Jul 10, 2014
Check out the new swag at The Joe! Get it while it's hot!

The inadvertent tank:

i_love_inadvertently_tank_top.jpg

Winger98

Feb 27, 2002
Cleveland
That's what makes how awful the team is even more embarrassing. The inadvertent tank. Heading in to this season Holland thought they could be a playoff team.

All you can do is laugh really.

Other than folks who predict every year to be the year it all falls apart, I don't think anyone honestly saw this team being this bad. And it really wouldn't be surprising to see them back to being a playoff bubble team next season.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad