Post-Game Talk: 17 games to go

BinCookin

Feb 15, 2012
London, ON
I don't care what the Holland defenders think, they don't decide anything. Unfortunately the man at the top is under that delusion and thinks he can make this team a playoff team again next year.

Seems like Holland is right, a rebuild takes 10-15 years. But that's only when you waste 5 of those years attempting to re-arrange the deck chairs on the Titanic as if that will make any meaningful difference.

No GM is going to say "we are tanking next year"

Look at his actions going forward.

So far we sold 4 players at the deadline for draft picks.
This is a rebuild so far. Lets see what he does this offseason to confirm it.

Also whatever he says really makes no difference. He has said we are going with the youth for 2 seasons now, and ultimately that is what he has done. But this offseason will be key. As long as he doesnt sign any forwards to 3 or more year contracts over age 29, ill be happy. He is allowed to sign any D man he can.

TheMule93

On a mule rides the swindler
May 26, 2015
Ontario

Also whatever he says really makes no difference. He has said we are going with the youth for 2 seasons now, and ultimately that is what he has done. But this offseason will be key. As long as he doesnt sign any forwards to 3 or more year contracts over age 29, ill be happy. He is allowed to sign any D man he can.

I really don't see the problem with admitting to a rebuild. Why would he be criticized for doing what he's supposed to ****ing do in the situation that the team is in? He'd actualy garner nothing but praise if he admitted to rebuilding. Shanahan went right to Toronto and said they're doing complete rebuild, nobody complained.

Shaman464

No u
May 1, 2009
Boston, MA

No, but they do say they see the need to rebuild. Holland keeps saying this, to him, is an off year. That's what's scary.

jkutswings

hot piss hockey
Jul 10, 2014
DeKeyser is a 4/5 d-man. He's good at eating minutes and is amazing when he's not playing against the other team's stars. This isn't some revelation.
Yet another instance of a player who, when properly slotted according to talent, is decent...yet, when overpaid and thrown in over his head, looks like an awful contract.

The Wings seem to like going that route.

GrafSk8r12

Jul 4, 2011
While I'm all for accumulating a top-three pick in the next couple of drafts, it's still disheartening to see this team get blown out in the way they did tonight. Such a conflicting time to be a Red Wings fan.

Wood Stick

Dec 25, 2015
Expect it's more than that.. DeKeyser played on the top shutdown unit last year with Q in similar minutes. This year he's so, so bad defensively from the best on the team defensively the year prior. Contract has nothing to do with this.

Run the Jewels

Make Detroit Great Again
Jun 22, 2006
In the Garage
While I'm all for accumulating a top-three pick in the next couple of drafts, it's still disheartening to see this team get blown out in the way they did tonight. Such a conflicting time to be a Red Wings fan.

It's gonna be so great when we get that elite player that we know is one of the best in the league. That hasn't happened in a very long time. Imagine back to when Steve Yzerman, Nicklas Kronwall, Sergei Fedorov all just started to enter their prime. There's no guarantee we'll get a player like any of those guys, but the odds are gonna be much better than the ol' Ken Holland trade a late first rounder for two second rounders special.

SoupNazi

Serenity now. Insanity later.
Feb 6, 2010
It's gonna be so great when we get that elite player that we know is one of the best in the league. That hasn't happened in a very long time. Imagine back to when Steve Yzerman, Nicklas Kronwall, Sergei Fedorov all just started to enter their prime. There's no guarantee we'll get a player like any of those guys, but the odds are gonna be much better than the ol' Ken Holland trade a late first rounder for two second rounders special.

Kronwall has never been considered elite by anyone.

The Zetterberg Era

Ball Hockey Sucks
Nov 8, 2011
Ft. Myers, FL
So what do people make of Coreau? I still think he can potentially be a backup but man was he bad tonight.

I completely agree. I think the big guys generally take longer is one positive I think we can point to. He also shouldn't get super expensive in terms of a capable backup hopefully soon when we are on our way back up.

jkutswings

hot piss hockey
Jul 10, 2014
Detroit is on pace for 77 points this season. For reference:

* They had 93 points last year.
* 77 would've been good for the 5th worst record last year (TOR 69, EDM 70, VAN 75, CLB 76. CGY also had 77, but would've had the tiebreaker with a ROW of 33).

Yikes. A ROW of 18, with 17 games remaining. Last year, the Leafs had a league-worst ROW of 23, and that's with being intentionally and openly awful to start a rebuild.

Ugh. Just...just ugh.

Bondurant

Jul 4, 2012
Phoenix, Arizona
I'm actually using a vacation day to see the game here in Arizona next week. When I purchased my ticket earlier in the season it never dawned on me what a disaster this season may have become. At this point I'm just going to enjoy a cup of Timmy's hot chocolate, poutine from Smokes and hope they play Yakety Sax over the PA the entire game.

:yo::yo::yo::yo::yo:

TheMule93

On a mule rides the swindler
May 26, 2015
Ontario
I'm actually using a vacation day to see the game here in Arizona next week. When I purchased my ticket earlier in the season it never dawned on me what a disaster this season may have become. At this point I'm just going to enjoy a cup of Timmy's hot chocolate, poutine from Smokes and hope they play Yakety Sax over the PA the entire game.

:yo::yo::yo::yo::yo:

Tim Hortons exists in Arizona?

Wood Stick

Dec 25, 2015
Kronwall has never been considered elite by anyone.

He had a short peak. He really was only a number one D for a short time. He was behind Lidstrom and Rafalski. I loved his play in 12/13-13-14. His knee ruined him.

Apr 14, 2009
Canada
We have become "that team". "That team" where playoff hopefuls around the NHL see us on their schedule and have a sigh of relief.

We are that sigh of relief....:cry:

Brutal game. No other way to describe it than disgusting. The only player that played with heart was #40. The rest have mailed it in and are debating whether to go to Jamaica or Mexico in April while other teams compete for a trophy that we used to win.

Wood Stick

Dec 25, 2015
We have become "that team". "That team" where playoff hopefuls around the NHL see us on their schedule and have a sigh of relief.

We are that sigh of relief....:cry:

Brutal game. No other way to describe it than disgusting. The only player that played with heart was #40. The rest have mailed it in and are debating whether to go to Jamaica or Mexico in April while other teams compete for a trophy that we used to win.

It happens. I'm worried about being Calgary/Vancouver though, or worse case, Edmonton. First two were limbo teams for years, and terrible at drafting. Players never developed, didn't get high enough picks and continued a dead chase for the playoffs. Edmonton drafted, developed and ruined players.

San Jose has an old core. They missed the playoffs, drafted high for a season, developed really well, and continued right on with success. They added some key pieces. I think that's Holland's game plan. We just don't have the top end talent that they have.

Henkka

Jan 31, 2004
Tampere, Finland
That 4-0 was a beauty. First Tatar makes a gift and then Larkin.

Ok, I understand. Guys have logged out.

Let's go full swing down now to secure 2nd last spot.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad