GDT: #17 | FLYERS (A) vs. Sabres (H) | Sat., Feb. 27 | 1:00 pm ET |ESPN+, SNE, SNO, SNP, MSG-B, NBCSP

Status
Not open for further replies.

flyersnorth

Oct 7, 2019
Of course they do, his TOI has been 7th among D-men both last year and this year.
In other words, when they're forced to play him, they play him as little as possible.
Which tells you what they really thought about Friedman.

Hogberg has 200 SHL games under his belt, is making the adjustment to NA hockey, is a solid two way defenseman.
Probably the biggest question is to what extent has he filled out and is he ready for a more physical game than the SHL.
@Appleyard can probably answer that.
But if he's ready, he should be an upgrade over Hagg.

He's 22, 6', 176#.

2 points in 5 games so far with the Phantoms.

Who is this Logan Day fellow? Seems to have had a nice collegiate career. Is he just another TJ Brennan type that lights up the AHL but can't put it all together? He's 26.

Logan Day Hockey Stats and Profile at hockeydb.com

upload_2021-2-26_13-47-43.png

TB87

Ph'nglui mglw'nafh Cthulhu R'lyeh wgah'nagl fhtagn
May 30, 2018
Ah yes, the implication that the European (Hogberg) needs filling out in order to handle the big bad North American game. Sweet. What a great and astute POV that has no basis in reality. It’s a confirmation bias slam-dunk!

***He didn’t get pushed around in the SHL and he hasn’t gotten pushed around in the AHL...at all***

This isn’t a thing that happened but the Flyers brass created this narrative to...manufacture some false adversity for Hogberg. Because reasons baby!

Magua

Entirely Palatable Product
Apr 25, 2016
Huron of the Lakes
You know how some people like to be handcuffed to their bed because they find it kinky? That’s basically this coaching staff with hockey decisions. What I’m trying to say is: don’t kink shame.

Distasteful doesn’t begin to describe this

AV is an immunologist, dentist, and personal trainer. That is to say he’s an expert. Step off, Ted.

Here4ThaLids

“Sunshine has always been our enemy.”
Sep 28, 2018
This one seems like a pretty good candidate to skip. Not just AV screwing around with the lineup, but no Eichel, Skinner, or even Risto? What am I supposed to watch for, Dahlin running around trying to avenge his bloody nose? The Habsburg prince bust his slump and score a hat trick without lifting his chin off the ice?

Movie recs? I have a pretty wide Cassavetes blind spot. Maybe an older (i.e., pre-'Fast') car movie?

Striiker

Earthquake Survivor
Jun 2, 2013
Pennsylvania
This one seems like a pretty good candidate to skip. Not just AV screwing around with the lineup, but no Eichel, Skinner, or even Risto? What am I supposed to watch for, Dahlin running around trying to avenge his bloody nose? The Habsburg prince bust his slump and score a hat trick without lifting his chin off the ice?

Movie recs? I have a pretty wide Cassavetes blind spot. Maybe an older (i.e., pre-'Fast') car movie?
We're back to the Hakstol days where the only reason to watch is to see if players you like score. Otherwise, things are even worse than the Hakstol days.

ellja3

May 19, 2014
Ķekava, Latvia
I fail to believe that every single coach we've had since Lav is a goddamn f---ing idiot. My BF (who has to hear all my roster-related rants) claims it can't be that simple - that I am failing to see smth. But, honestly, waiving Friedman in favor of Prosser; then scratching a relatively young D in favor of #6 (at best) dude, who's just come off Covid list -- WHAT!? And that's just stupid stuff from /checks notes/ last couple of days, let alone previous stupidities of epic proportions. Ok, assuming it's not one coach after another having intellectual capacity of a goldfish, what is it with this organization!?

Striiker

Earthquake Survivor
Jun 2, 2013
Pennsylvania
I fail to believe that every single coach we've had since Lav is a goddamn f---ing idiot. My BF (who has to hear all my roster-related rants) claims it can't be that simple - that I am failing to see smth. But, honestly, waiving Friedman in favor of Prosser; then scratching a relatively young D in favor of #6 (at best) dude, who's just come off Covid list -- WHAT!? And that's just stupid stuff from /checks notes/ last couple of days, let alone previous stupidities of epic proportions. Ok, assuming it's not one coach after another having intellectual capacity of a goldfish, what is it with this organization!?

It's not the only problem, but yes, Berube, Hakstol, Gordon, and AV were/are all idiots.

There was also the lack of decent goaltending, injury problems, rebuilding phase, bad signings/trades, and stuff like that, but horrible coaching has been a constant.

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
So what's Lavi done lately?
Prosser is a better choice for 1-2 games than Friedman, Hogberg probably is for an extended period.
6 games in 9 days, which game do you rest people? The one where Buffalo is missing key players?
G doesn't need rest, neither do the three returning guys or Braun, they got too much rest.

It's an insane schedule. Got to make do. 17 games in the next 29 days.

FlyTimmo

pit <3
Jul 10, 2013
So what's Lavi done lately?
Prosser is a better choice for 1-2 games than Friedman, Hogberg probably is for an extended period.
6 games in 9 days, which game do you rest people? The one where Buffalo is missing key players?
G doesn't need rest, neither do the three returning guys or Braun, they got too much rest.

It's an insane schedule. Got to make do. 17 games in the next 29 days.

Why?

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014

Because Prosser has a track record of playing well for 1-2 games before he turns into a pumpkin.
Even when he was playing full-time in Minnesota, he posted a respectable xGF% for a #6 D-man
2014-15: 63g xGF 50.43%
2015-16: 54g xGF 50.06%
2016-17: 39g xGF 51.01%
2017-18: 56g xGF 50.08%
2018-19: 15g xGF 51.92%

ellja3

May 19, 2014
Ķekava, Latvia
It's not the only problem, but yes, Berube, Hakstol, Gordon, and AV were/are all idiots.

There was also the lack of decent goaltending, injury problems, rebuilding phase, bad signings/trades, and stuff like that, but horrible coaching has been a constant.

Ok, then my follow-up question, which is surely assumption-based -- if we happened to hire an actually decent coach, to what extent would the headaches go away?

- We have decent goaltending, both starter and backup
- Our injuries lately haven't been that crippling
- Rebuilding phase has brought us tons of ready (and not so ready so - pipeline - prospects)
- There are head-scratching trade/signing moves, but no Bryzgalov/McDonald-esque WTF-s, I'd say

So, if we - at least partially - say that these factors can be crossed out AND happen to hire a good coach, would it really solve it? For whatever reason, I think there's a deeper issue here.

Reactions: marcsson68

Swic21

Jan 8, 2012
Canada
Makes sense that we finally almost have a full lineup, so why not scratch Myers...
Come on AV, do the right thing. Your TK scratch backfired, a young d man is allowed to have a rough game. But stop making it harder on yourself, and us, it’s not the time to get cute. We are playing the shitty Sabres, we need all 4 points. Play your best players, and we should be fine, but this has the potential to be a huge weekend for momentum and the confidence of this team. Do not, for the love of god, sir Myers. Don’t do it. I’m already on the edge with AV, he scratches Myers, he should be gone.

Striiker

Earthquake Survivor
Jun 2, 2013
Pennsylvania
Ok, then my follow-up question, which is surely assumption-based -- if we happened to hire an actually decent coach, to what extent would the headaches go away?

- We have decent goaltending, both starter and backup
- Our injuries lately haven't been that crippling
- Rebuilding phase has brought us tons of ready (and not so ready so - pipeline - prospects)
- There are head-scratching trade/signing moves, but no Bryzgalov/McDonald-esque WTF-s, I'd say

So, if we - at least partially - say that these factors can be crossed out AND happen to hire a good coach, would it really solve it? For whatever reason, I think there's a deeper issue here.
It wouldn't solve every problem, but it'd certainly improve our biggest one.

It's not like a coaching fix would guarantee us a Cup, since winning one is obviously extremely difficult even for great rosters and there will always be things you can't control, like good/bad luck or the ups and downs of each players individual performance.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad