17-18 season

Number1RedWingsFan52

Mar 17, 2013
Winter Haven Florida
So much hinges upon the health and effectiveness of the current centers. If Datsyuk, Richards, and Sheahan are clipping along I don't see much room for Larkin. But if one of them gets hurt, and the team is floundering, that opens up the door.

He pretty much said next season, Pretty sure that Richards wont be on the team next year.

sean3250

Feb 7, 2015
Lol Nobody's going to want to play for a team that's about to fall off the proveribial cliff in 17-18, D,Z and Kronwall are all done being effective then. First off Datsyuk will have reired by then replace by Larkin and yeah Larkin will be a solid top line centerman and as far as Zetterberg and Kronwall Zetterberg will still have 4 years left and 2 for Kronwall and neither one has showed that their done yet. Zetterberg in 77 games last year put up 66 points that's still a solid showing and Kronwall had 44 points I would hardly say that's not being effective. It's not like Tatar, Nyquist, Sheahan aren't solid core players and with Larkin, Mantha and other pieces coming in this team is going to be very solid. And to think that the Wings are going to be basement dwellers period isn't using common sense.

In 17-18 Datsyuk is done. Zetterberg will be 37 and Kronwall be 36. At that point in time Zetterberg will most likely not be a Top 6 player and will be better suited for a bottom 6 role. Kronwall will probably not be a top pairing D either, and may need to get bumped down a pair or two.

Larkin is a very good prospect who has high expectations, but let's have him play a season or two before we declare him a solid top line center who will replace Datsyuk (who can't be replaced btw).

Detroit's in trouble if Sheahan is a part of your core players going forward. He's currently a 3C who maybe tops out as a 2C. Either way I wouldn't want a 2-3C as part of my team's core going forward.

Nyquist and Tatar are good pieces to have. They can't do it alone though. First line wingers can only take you so far especially if you are lacking on D and down the middle. They've both struggled in the playoffs too, which they desperately need to improve on.

Let's wait for Mantha to do well in the AHL before we call him a player who can make an impact with the big club. (And yes, I know that he was injured to start the year)

Detroit's defensive prospect pool is lacking big time. No one is looking like they have top pairing potential. That needs to change if Detroit wants to continue to be a solid team.

Detroit's made it to the playoffs 24 years in a row. Which is a remarkable feat. The pendulum always swings back in the other direction eventually. Detroit isn't going to be a good/playoff team forever. Their gonna have to spend their time in the draft lottery just like every other team does, and just like they did 25+ years ago.

Henkka

Jan 31, 2004
Tampere, Finland
Don't write Datsyuk off for many years after his current contract. He could be "Larionoved" long till his 40's. He. Is. That. Good.

Number1RedWingsFan52

Mar 17, 2013
Winter Haven Florida
Don't write Datsyuk off for many years after his current contract. He could be "Larionoved" long till his 40's. He. Is. That. Good.

Exactly this, After these 2 years are up Datsyuk will only have played 15 seasons. I could see him depending on his health possibly playing 3 more seasons at least and sign 1 year deals ala Nick Lidstrom.

Bench

3 is a good start
Aug 14, 2011
crease
Exactly this, After these 2 years are up Datsyuk will only have played 15 seasons. I could see him depending on his health possibly playing 3 more seasons at least and sign 1 year deals ala Nick Lidstrom.

It's not that he wouldn't be able to play, it's more that he's consistently hinted at wanting to finish his career in Russia.

Maybe he changes his mind, but for now, I think it's a safer bet that he'll go home to play his last few decent years.

Henkka

Jan 31, 2004
Tampere, Finland
It's not that he wouldn't be able to play, it's more that he's consistently hinted at wanting to finish his career in Russia.

Maybe he changes his mind, but for now, I think it's a safer bet that he'll go home to play his last few decent years.

Weak ruble has changed a lot of russian minds lately...

Bench

3 is a good start
Aug 14, 2011
crease
Weak ruble has changed a lot of russian minds lately...

I doubt the captain of the Russian Olympic team is somebody that would find himself without a nice payday. Of course, I don't even think it's about money at this point.

DanZ

Mar 6, 2008
I doubt the captain of the Russian Olympic team is somebody that would find himself without a nice payday. Of course, I don't even think it's about money at this point.

I'm sure Datsyuk would have gotten paid a hefty amount to finish his career in Russia. At least as much, if not more than he would to stay in the NHL. I think Russia's current economic state will certainly factor into his decision. How could it not?

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010

See, what happens is this...

Svechnikov tears up the Q this year. Goes to GR the following year (I think) and then tears up the AHL. He gets called up at the end of the 16-17 season and gets put on a line with Datsyuk and the two of them kill it together.

And then Datsyuk thinks to himself "I finally have this beastly Russian linemate, so might as well stay here" and then plays a couple more years.

SpookyTsuki

Dec 3, 2014
See, what happens is this...

Svechnikov tears up the Q this year. Goes to GR the following year (I think) and then tears up the AHL. He gets called up at the end of the 16-17 season and gets put on a line with Datsyuk and the two of them kill it together.

And then Datsyuk thinks to himself "I finally have this beastly Russian linemate, so might as well stay here" and then plays a couple more years.

Or Or, Marchenko becomes Lidstrom. and then he has 3

Number1RedWingsFan52

Mar 17, 2013
Winter Haven Florida

We shall see, The KHL is falling apart. Oil is dropping big time and the ruble is weak. If he does go home to mother Russia all the power to him though I wouldn't mind seeing him play another season or two after next year if he wants to stay.

sean3250

Feb 7, 2015
You don't think that have a 2nd line center is good?

Having a 2nd line center is a good thing. My comment was in regards to having a 2C as part of your team's core players. That is not a good thing, imo. Your core should be your best 3-4 players, and if your 2C is one of them, your team most likely has problems.

SpookyTsuki

Dec 3, 2014
Having a 2nd line center is a good thing. My comment was in regards to having a 2C as part of your team's core players. That is not a good thing, imo. Your core should be your best 3-4 players, and if your 2C is one of them, your team most likely has problems.

I agree, I dont think Sheahan is really apart of the core, he's one of those people that's like Abby and Cleary. Team will never leave him.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad