17-18 season

ArGarBarGar

What do we want!? Unfair!
Sep 8, 2008
Using an example from 2012 isn't helping your argument. A defensemen like Suter will never, ever hit free agency anymore.

I don't think he was necessarily trying to argue against that. He just wanted to bring up a time when it did happen, which is a sore spot in Wings fandom (hence the Mad World lyrics afterwards).

That's probably a wound that will never heal. :laugh:

Bench

3 is a good start
Aug 14, 2011
crease
That's probably a wound that will never heal. :laugh:

ngbbs4372afdd9d95a.jpg

Crawwwwwllling in my skiinnnnnnnnn :cry:

DanZ

Mar 6, 2008
When do you think Larkin will be on the Wings? He has no chance of making it this season due to not having any roster spots, and he probably won't make the team next year either, whether he deserves it or not.

So you expect him to have a 70 point season either in his 1st or 2nd year in the NHL? That's not an optimistic projection IMO. That's a completely unrealistic projection.

I'd say that if Larkin has a good year in GR he will certainly be on the team next season, maybe even by the end of this one.

Bench

3 is a good start
Aug 14, 2011
crease
I'd say that if Larkin has a good year in GR he will certainly be on the team next season, maybe even by the end of this one.

So much hinges upon the health and effectiveness of the current centers. If Datsyuk, Richards, and Sheahan are clipping along I don't see much room for Larkin. But if one of them gets hurt, and the team is floundering, that opens up the door.

sarcastro

Jul 28, 2005
I don't really want to see much of Larkin this season. He has one season of college hockey and a couple weeks of minor pro hockey under his belt. I'd prefer to see him play 20+ minutes a night for the Griffs, get his butt kicked around a bit by the big bodies so he gets a feel for it, score a mess of points, and maybe get a couple games in with the Wings in January when everyone's hurt. Like every January.

Then you go into camp next summer with an opening for a second line center and Larkin could be primed to step up and take it, if this season goes well.

I'm not eager to start his contract clock just yet. And I'd kind of rather see AA get called up first if they need a center. They have a good idea of what they have in Larkin. If we're talking about a two week cup of coffee, I'd rather see what AA looks like before his clock runs out and he gets Nestrasiled.

The Zetterberg Era

Ball Hockey Sucks
Nov 8, 2011
Ft. Myers, FL
The new building won't hurt. I mean we might like the sight-lines but most things about the JLA are pretty substandard. In particular the lower concourse that the players use a lot. Now is that something at the top of the list? Probably not, but it doesn't hurt to have new facilities to sell to the team that will be state of the art and more in line with how they do everything else as a team.

Free agency wasn't what it once was. But selling the Original Six and the history with what might be for a while one of the nicest buildings in the league can't be looked at as a negative.

DanZ

Mar 6, 2008
So much hinges upon the health and effectiveness of the current centers. If Datsyuk, Richards, and Sheahan are clipping along I don't see much room for Larkin. But if one of them gets hurt, and the team is floundering, that opens up the door.

There was talk of putting Sheahan on the wing and Richards is only signed for one year. I just don't like the idea of keeping a player of Larkin's potential in the AHL if he shows that he's ready this season. I don't know about you but I'd like to see Holland go for it again before Datsyuk and Zetterberg retire. Obviously, I don't agree with rushing Larkin; only if he shows he's ready. I'd love a top 12 of:

Zetterberg-Datsyuk-Abdelkader/Jurco
Nyquist-Richards-Tatar
Pulkkinen-Larkin-Sheahan
Miller/Jurco-Glendenning-Helm

The Zetterberg Era

Ball Hockey Sucks
Nov 8, 2011
Ft. Myers, FL
There was talk of putting Sheahan on the wing and Richards is only signed for one year. I just don't like the idea of keeping a player of Larkin's potential in the AHL if he shows that he's ready this season. I don't know about you but I'd like to see Holland go for it again before Datsyuk and Zetterberg retire. Obviously, I don't agree with rushing Larkin; only if he shows he's ready. I'd love a top 12 of:

Nyquist-Richards-Tatar
Pulkkinen-Larkin-Sheahan

Larkin will be on the team for the post-season if he is one of the best 12. It would be nice for him to do his peaks and valleys in the AHL. He can absolutely force their hand, but that is more of a new years decision. If he is blowing through the AHL we will be having this discussion probably more prematurely than the Wings, but I expect there will be an evaluation in December on Larkin and if he is ready.

We don't talk about him as much, but the same will be true of Mantha, if he bounces back strong even with the depth up front he is a guy that absolutely can impact the playoff roster and will be seen in the second half if he earns it.

jkutswings

hot piss hockey
Jul 10, 2014

Nyquist-Richards-Tatar
Pulkkinen-Larkin-Sheahan
Then Larkin better recruit a top pairing defenseman and a legit power forward to join the club with him.

Mister Ed

Dec 21, 2008
I've already penned Kopitar with Mantha into the 2017 lineup.

Can you imagine that lineup?

Abdelkader - Kopitar - Mantha
Zetterberg - Datsyuk - Nyquist
Sheahan - Larkin - Abdelkader
Bertuzzi - Glendening - Ferraro

Extra : Pulkkinen

Kronwall - Ericsson (or a replacement equivalent, maybe Kulikov or - I wish - Burns?)
Dekeyser - Green
Ouellet - Marchenko

Mrazek
Backup (Lack?)

Last edited:

DanZ

Mar 6, 2008
Then Larkin better recruit a top pairing defenseman and a legit power forward to join the club with him.

It's possible to get a guy like Byfuglien through trade at the deadline. We can afford to move a couple good prospects in my opinion for the opportunity to contend at the end of Datsyuk and Zetterberg's career. What legit power forward does Chicago have? Andrew Shaw? :laugh: A power forward isn't a prerequisite for winning a Cup.

SpookyTsuki

Dec 3, 2014

Kronwall - Ericsson (or a replacement equivalent, maybe Kulikov or - I wish - Burns?)
Dekeyser - Green
Ouellet - Marchenko

Mrazek
Backup (Lack?)

Yummy

Best center core ever? :scared:

HomersWorld

Mar 8, 2012

Dekeyser - Green
Ouellet - Marchenko

Mrazek
Backup (Lack?)

Double shifting Abdelkader? Are we getting Babcock back? ;)

Number1RedWingsFan52

Mar 17, 2013
Winter Haven Florida
Nobody's going to want to play for a team that is about to fall off the proverbial cliff. In 17-18 D,Z, and Kronwall are all done being effective players. Detroit is screwed big time when that happens. Free agents worth a damn aren't looking to play for basement dwellers...

Lol Nobody's going to want to play for a team that's about to fall off the proveribial cliff in 17-18, D,Z and Kronwall are all done being effective then. First off Datsyuk will have reired by then replace by Larkin and yeah Larkin will be a solid top line centerman and as far as Zetterberg and Kronwall Zetterberg will still have 4 years left and 2 for Kronwall and neither one has showed that their done yet. Zetterberg in 77 games last year put up 66 points that's still a solid showing and Kronwall had 44 points I would hardly say that's not being effective. It's not like Tatar, Nyquist, Sheahan aren't solid core players and with Larkin, Mantha and other pieces coming in this team is going to be very solid. And to think that the Wings are going to be basement dwellers period isn't using common sense.

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad