Prospect Info: 17-18 Blues Top Prospect #7

Status
Not open for further replies.

STL fan in MN

Aug 16, 2007
This will be a telling season for Sanford. Supposedly, he almost made the Capitals out of camp. But in his time with the Blues he looked over-matched physically too often.

If he is going to take 2-3 years to get strong enough to be a regular contributor, I think Sanford will get passed over by some of the younger prospects. But if he can beat out guys like Sundqvist, Bennett, Jaskin, Paajarvi now, there is a spot in the line-up for him to seize. He ought to be good enough to manage that if he has built on last year. But if he comes back at the same level/strength, I think he's going to bounce around a while as a tweener and then fizzle out.

I have some hope that he'll have a break-out year and play 60+ games. If that happens, I think either Jaskin or Sundqvist will be lost to waivers (or pass through them I suppose).

Pretty sure Sanford did make the Caps out of camp and was then sent to the minors later in the season before being brought back up and then later traded to the Blues. Pretty impressive to make a loaded Caps team right out of college as a string bean.

Sanford seemed to have decent instincts and soft hands but he was hard to evaluate as he was so top heavy from being a string bean that he was pretty easily overpowered and/or knocked down. I think he has the potential to be MUCH better if/when he fills out but it was a little hard for me to get a good read on him. I think he can put on that muscle/weight but it'll be easier to evaluate him once he starts to fill out more.

stl76

No. 5 in your programs, No. 1 in your hearts
Jul 2, 2015
Hard for me to be objective about Sanford because I think recency bias clouds my judgement a bit with him. His playoffs left a bad taste in my mouth. Watching him continue to start in the playoffs after it was painfully obvious he was in over his head, was really frustrating to me. Clearly it's not fair to hold Yeo's lineup decisions against the player...but it's still hard to get the image of cringing every time he lost a board battle, or just couldn't match the intensity of his opponent, out of my head.

He definitely has the skills to contribute at the NHL level tho. I think his age might count against him for some people in these polls.

BlueDream

Aug 30, 2011
No one else with any love for Sanford yet?
I've been voting for Thompson for the past few polls so I gotta stick with him. But after he wins, Sanford is in the conversation for me.

I think Sanford has all the tools, just needs to add the strength and I think he will do that very soon. I disagree with the notion that he lacks intensity. He definitely does not. He was mixing it up with a few players in the playoffs. The tenacity is there for sure. So as he continues to fill out, I won't have any real concerns with his game.

I'm interested to see what happens if both him and Bennett have a good camp. I think Jaskin will continue to be a bust and I wouldn't mind if we lost him. Because with all these prospects, I think Jaskin's time here is running out. He will get passed up quickly.

Ranksu

Crotch Academy ftw
Sponsor
Apr 28, 2014
Lapland
Seems reasonable if we're essentially having a tie-breaker vote, but we could have a full poll for #8 if there's demand. I doubt the results would change, but it would chew up a few more empty days.

Do it like last year if this goes tie. Dunn vs. Husso.

1) Vince Dunn (Tie 32.88% - Head-to-head tiebreaker 58%)
2) Ville Husso (Tie 32.88% - Head-to-head tiebreaker 42%)

STL fan in MN

Aug 16, 2007
I say set a time that this vote will end. If one of them is leading at that time, even if it's just 1 vote, they win and we move on. If it's tied, have a run-off vote with the loser automatically getting 8.

EastonBlues22

Nov 25, 2003
RIP Fugu ϶(°o°)ϵ
We approached 100 votes a couple of polls ago, and we've barely topped 80 this time around.

I'll give it 24 hours. Poll closes at 10:00pm Central on 7/18. Runoff only if there is an exact tie.

medkit

Mar 22, 2014
Let the winner be the winner.

Agree with this - unless it's a tie of course. We don't do runoffs for other winners that win with ~30% of the vote when a runoff could change the answer. It's not that big of a deal to use consistent rules on this thing.

EastonBlues22

Nov 25, 2003
RIP Fugu ϶(°o°)ϵ
I handle the vast majority of these polls, and I can't remember the last one that was literally within a vote or two (the tie from last year excepting), regardless of what percentage ended up favoring the victor. Feel free to go back and check if you don't believe me.

Nobody is looking to bend the rules, per se. It's only a discussion because this is an unusual situation and someone asked about a run-off. It was subsequently discussed, and now a path is set.

stl76

No. 5 in your programs, No. 1 in your hearts
Jul 2, 2015
I would like to formally enter a request to change my vote from Schmaltz to Thompson. :naughty:

Bobby Orrtuzzo

Ya know
Jul 8, 2015
St. Louis
Me waiting for the results of this poll

200w.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad