Prospect Info: 17-18 Blues Top Prospect #7

Status
Not open for further replies.

Klank Loves You

Feb 21, 2015
Went Kyrou, but Thompson is also acceptable. I want to vote Schmaltz, but on a team with Pie and Parayko, he won't be getting more than 10 minutes a night for the next 2 years.

I have a feeling one of Sundqvist or Sanford probably belong here. I think one of them earns 12-14 minutes a night.

PiggySmalls

Oink Oink MF
Mar 7, 2015
Still a wash between Kyrou and Thompson. But went with Kyrou, I still think he will be the more offensively dynamic of the 2.

Frenzy31

May 21, 2003
I went with TT. First he has a higher ceiling then Schmaltz. Second, I think he really improved his stock. He had a great college campaign. Yes, he didn't put up a ton of points, but to he honest, I wasn't to surprised. He was literally jumping into a two step up league at the end of the year when everyone is upping their game for the playoff push and post season and have been playing at the high speed all year. He really didn't get too much of a chance to catch up to the team speed.

I believe that the lasting impression every fan on this site has had of him was limited production in the AHL and the joke that is the prospects week. Those scrimmage are just junk and you can't really take anything away from them. I don't care if he was hot dogging it or not putting a ton of effort into it. It is a simple show case for the fans, that is really it.

Those voting for JK, while he is a very good prospect seem to forget he didn't really even make it onto the ice in the AHL. Yep, healthy scratch for most of his time there. TT wasn't.

stl76

No. 5 in your programs, No. 1 in your hearts
Jul 2, 2015
Still Schmaltz.

Yup.

He struggled last year in the playoffs, but Schmaltz still has legit top 4 upside and a very good chance of hitting it IMO.

EDIT: I am really surprised people are voting for Kyrou over Schmaltz and Thompson here...

Blueston

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 4, 2016
Houston, TX
After voting for Walman 3x and then Thomas 3x, I'll vote for Tage. Perhaps a couple more times too judging by early results.

Shwabeal

Feb 24, 2016
Went with Thompson. Very close between him and Kyrou for me with Schmaltz, Sanford and Sund close behind. I think Thompson has more upside than the last 3 mentioned and has a better chance of making an impact in the NHL than Kyrou. I think Kyrou's upside is better but am a little more uncertain if he can make the jump. Kyrou, for me, is a little more boom/bust and think Tage has a better chance of carving out some sort of NHL career even if he's nothing more than a 3rd line depth scorer at RW. I think he has a pretty good chance of becoming a solid top 6er, more likely at RW with a chance of potentially being a 2C even if I think that its less likely he sticks there.

Robb_K

Apr 26, 2007
NordHolandNethrlands
I went with Kyrou here, because I think Thompson has a few more questions to answer, or categories to improve in his game. But, IF Thompson solves all of them, he might have a higher ceiling. Thompson and Kyrou are virtually absolutely even at this point, but, more of that is upside potential with Thompson. Schmaltz is a bit behind those 2, who have more upside than he does.

Majorityof1

Mar 6, 2014
Central Florida
Thompson here. Schmaltz and Kyrou are both right there for me. I went with Thompson because I like his upside better than Schmaltz and his floor more than Kyrou.

Dbrownss

Jan 5, 2014
Went Kyrou, but Thompson is also acceptable. I want to vote Schmaltz, but on a team with Pie and Parayko, he won't be getting more than 10 minutes a night for the next 2 years.

I have a feeling one of Sundqvist or Sanford probably belong here. I think one of them earns 12-14 minutes a night.

Why is that a knock on Schmaltz? It doesn't make much sense if that's your formula/evaluation considering the other 2 most likely won't crack the NHL this season and would be pressed to next season. All the while, if Schmaltz is playing, its because he's beat out NHL players for that spot.

nicholas89alex

Nov 16, 2012
Why is that a knock on Schmaltz? It doesn't make much sense if that's your formula/evaluation considering the other 2 most likely won't crack the NHL this season and would be pressed to next season. All the while, if Schmaltz is playing, its because he's beat out NHL players for that spot.

it just depends on how you decide to vote. schmaltz may be a better NHL player than TT and JK but he wont ever be more than a bottom pairing guy because of pie and parayko, which in some peoples eys may make TT and JK more important prospects because they can have a bigger impact on our roster.

does that make any sense?

Dbrownss

Jan 5, 2014
it just depends on how you decide to vote. schmaltz may be a better NHL player than TT and JK but he wont ever be more than a bottom pairing guy because of pie and parayko, which in some peoples eys may make TT and JK more important prospects because they can have a bigger impact on our roster.

No...that makes no sense. That doesn't impact how good He can be. I can say both TT amd Kyrou wont play past 3rd line minutes because they wont pass Schwartz, Tarasenko, Fabbri, Schenn and Stastny. That doesn't really effect how good they are and shouldn't be used against them in rankings. I have real issue with who picks who, just questioning the method.

STL fan in MN

Aug 16, 2007
Going with Thompson. But I could see any of him, Kyrou, Schmaltz or Sanford having the best career in the end.

Thompson has a great shot and he's extremely coachable. He knows what it takes to be an NHLer because of his dad and every coach he has seems to rave about his coachability. I look forward to seeing him take that next step in the AHL this season.

Edgar Carrow

The Misshapen Steed
Oct 12, 2013
Blackwater Park
No...that makes no sense. That doesn't impact how good He can be. I can say both TT amd Kyrou wont play past 3rd line minutes because they wont pass Schwartz, Tarasenko, Fabbri, Schenn and Stastny. That doesn't really effect how good they are and shouldn't be used against them in rankings. I have real issue with who picks who, just questioning the method.

It makes sense. You just don't like it.

Daley Tarasenkshow

Schennsational
Nov 7, 2012
St. Louis MO
I picked Schmaltz here just based on how NHL ready he is.

Also, I've been an advocate of his play but I think Blais deserves at least slight consideration considering he scored 26 goals as an AHL rookie. His play may not be as skillful as Kyrou but still possesses some goal scoring ability.

Novacain

Feb 24, 2012
This is starting to become the point were I want to point out Sunqvist had 46 points in 63 games last year in the AHL. I'm not saying we should be voting for him right now, just time to have him on your radar.

Dbrownss

Jan 5, 2014
This is starting to become the point were I want to point out Sunqvist had 46 points in 63 games last year in the AHL. I'm not saying we should be voting for him right now, just time to have him on your radar.

How many have honestly watched him though? Ive never seen the guy play, scouting report and stats are positive though

STL fan in MN

Aug 16, 2007

I watch Pens games 2nd after Blues games so I've seen Sundqvist a few times. I don't have a great read on him but it's something. I'd say not quite the silky mitts of Sanford but a solid defender. Seemed fairly natural at C. I'd probably put him in the 11 spot.

Davimir Tarablad

Sep 16, 2015

No, it doesn't make sense. It's like saying Parayko will never be more than a middle pairing D because of Petro. Schmaltz can have just as large of an impact on the team as any of these other guys. If he improves his play, he'll get rewarded with more playing time. If Schmaltz can play at a middle pairing quality, which I think is fairly reasonable, it ends up being a similar position to having Petro/Parayko/Shatt as the RHD core.

Also, a young, cheap, top 4 RHD has a ton of trade value, so if Schmaltz plays at a top 4 level, he becomes a great trade chip.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad