Prospect Info: 17-18 Blues Top Prospect #6

Status
Not open for further replies.

2 Minute Minor

Hi Keeba!
Jun 3, 2008
Temple, Texas
Who is the next Ty Rattie? I remember how excited many were when Rattie broke into the AHL. But what early warning signs were there that he might not translate his game to the NHL?

I'd like to try and apply that measuring stick to your B Group prospects (the ones under consideration now). By that standard I'm a bit more guarded about Thompson. I admit I haven't seen enough of Kyrou. On the other hand, I think Thomas has a lot more solid foundation for an NHL style game. (So does Kostin, but I maintain that he's farther away).

Stealth JD

Don't condescend me, man.
Sponsor
Jan 16, 2006
Bonita Springs, FL
How high you are on Schmaltz? Jordan looked pretty damn good last pre-season games. I think he is or should be most ready for NHL compare to Walman and Dunn too, but Dunn's and Walman's ceiling is higher?

I think he could be a good-4 or great-5...maybe he has a bit more to give and becomes a very good 2nd-pairing defenseman for some teams. I don't think it will be here, but that's no fault of Schmaltz or an indictment of his talent.

He looked like a deer in the headlights during his brief playoff career...but I expect him to be a solid defender who may be able to contribute 30 points, playing 16 minutes/game and getting some time on the 2nd power-play. I'd love if he could become a taller Nick Leddy...but he's still got 150 games to figure out his game in the NHL and see if he can carve out a decent career for himself.

STL fan in MN

Aug 16, 2007
Who is the next Ty Rattie? I remember how excited many were when Rattie broke into the AHL. But what early warning signs were there that he might not translate his game to the NHL?

I'd like to try and apply that measuring stick to your B Group prospects (the ones under consideration now). By that standard I'm a bit more guarded about Thompson. I admit I haven't seen enough of Kyrou. On the other hand, I think Thomas has a lot more solid foundation for an NHL style game. (So does Kostin, but I maintain that he's farther away).

I watched a good amount of Rattie his rookie season in the AHL and what I remember is a guy that was behind the play, choppy skater, didn't engage much physically, played on the perimeter and wasn't good at D coverage but who had an uncanny nose for the net with good timing and good puck skills. At that time, I became concerned about him but still thought he could become a Brad Boyes like 3rd liner - not the 40 goal Boyes, but the after his peak Boyes, a guy that could be a secondary scorer but was weak defensively. In the end, Rattie just didn't bring enough to make it in any sort of role.

As for lessons learned and how to apply them to our current prospects...hard to use Rattie specifically as I don't see a prospect that matches his strengths/weaknesses well but I think what's key is focusing on who has the skills/characteristics that will work in the NHL? There are certain skills that, while impressive and useful in Jrs, college or even the minors, that just don't have much use at the NHL level.

I like all 10 of the guys I have in my top-10 and think all 10 have greater than 50% odds of being good NHLers but statistically speaking, it's simply unlikely that all 10 make it. So who fails and becomes the next Rattie? Or who had mild success but still a disappointment like Rundblad? I honestly don't know but I suppose if forced to answer, I'd say Kyrou, Thompson and Schmaltz could be the most likely to falter IMO. I could see Kyrou and Thompson possibly falling into that tweeter area where they aren't quite skilled enough or have a complete enough of a game to take a top-6 job and don't develop the intangibles needed to take a bottom-6 job. And I could see Schmaltz getting caught up in a numbers game of just not forcing his way into a full time role similar to what happened to Lindbohm and then getting passed and not really getting a great opportunity after that.

I'm not necessarily predicting any of that is definitely going to happen but those are the 3 I'd say are most likely to bust.

EastonBlues22

Nov 25, 2003
RIP Fugu ϶(°o°)ϵ
Rattie was a space player who didn't mind sticking his nose in around the net. Didn't really have many tools that allowed him to create his own space and offense, but he did have ones that could potentially complement those that could do those things.

The biggest questions I remember having about him were whether he could successfully find space in the offensive zone at the NHL level, and whether he could contribute enough as a complimentary scoring piece to justify the quality of linemates and minutes that he would need to have any real level of success. That, and the fairly ubiquitous "he needs to improve his defense and play away from the puck" that comes with the vast majority of young prospects.

The first two questions don't really matter much at this point because the latter hasn't seemed to have progressed nearly enough to earn him a shot at the type of role that would utilize his offensive tools best.

Truthfully, though, there really isn't much demand for fringe top 6 complementary pieces in the NHL that rely heavily on others to create chances. If you can't pull your own weight away from the puck, there's essentially no place for that sort of player on a roster.

Thomas is a better all-around player than Rattie. Thompson (shot) and Kyrou (skating) both have impact skills that are more dynamic than anything Rattie has at his disposal, and are better able to create offensive chances for themselves and others.

If the question is whose flaws might keep them from being NHL roster-worthy, I'd say the biggest risk is Kryou. Thompson's size and toolbox combo will earn him an NHL roster spot in some capacity. Between Thomas and Kyrou, the latter is the one with the more significant and concerning flaws (play away from the puck, etc.).

Itsnotatrap

Oct 6, 2013
This was probably the hardest decision for me thus far. I see Kyrou, Thompson, and Thomas having similar upside. Thomas and Kyrou are probably even when it comes to development, even with Kyrou's year advantage, because of Kyrou's lack of two way play and Thomas's more well rounded skill set. So I guess Thompson would be the the most developed, but I still question his mental game, and I have questioned it for quite a while now. All in all, each have a serious argument to be put over the other.

I decided on Thomas because I think he is least likely to have translation issues moving into the pro game.

I'm conceding right up front you have higher level of knowledge and have watched more than I have, so I ask this to gather knowledge: how confident of your read of Kyrou's 2 way play are you? When he's a part of the scoresheet on nearly 40% of Sarnia's goals, and the OHL is more open, how do you know if it's situational more than a matter of will or abiiity? The assumption I'm carrying forward is that his defensive game in the OHL lies in living in the offensive zone. He'll have to adjust at the next level, but his skating ability and stickwork seem more than fine.

PiggySmalls

Oink Oink MF
Mar 7, 2015
I think Thomas, Kyrou and Thompson each has an element that they are better then the other 2. So I can see it go any way, but I went with Kyrou. Mainly for his superior skating and how much he was able to increase his production, especially considering the team he was on.

Itsnotatrap

Oct 6, 2013
I think Thomas, Kyrou and Thompson each has an element that they are better then the other 2. So I can see it go any way, but I went with Kyrou. Mainly for his superior skating and how much he was able to increase his production, especially considering the team he was on.

That's my basic view on it as well. He played with 3 guys that went to NHL the year before, and was relatively productive and won with them. The team obviously suffered last year, but I don't hold that against him personally. I focus on the personal productivity.

He's a very interesting, and skilled, prospect. Looks like one of the more divisive ones too.

Robb_K

Apr 26, 2007
NordHolandNethrlands
I went with Thomas, because of his good all-around game, and his offensive sense and passing ability. He should be able to feed his wingers and make them more effective players. Thompson and Kyrou need to round out their games and both need to gain significant strength to end up being effective on The NHL level.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad