Prospect Info: 17-18 Blues Top Prospect #12

Status
Not open for further replies.

2 Minute Minor

Hi Keeba!
Jun 3, 2008
Temple, Texas
Torpedo. I'm also hearing and seeing (now that I'm watching the video) that Sundqvist might be a disappointment. He doesn't look really good at anything. I might be dropping him lower in my personal list - at least below Blais.

Sounds like you've over-emphasized the Penguin fans' current groupthink about Sundqvist post-trade. It was a swap of 4th liners. In Sundqvist's case, he's a 4th line center prospect, who also may be a waiver casualty if he can't stick. But I'm not sure where he would be dropping lower FROM. If folks have him slated higher, I think that's where the mistake was.

Vincenzo Arelliti

He Can't Play Center
Oct 13, 2014
Lisle, IL
Sounds like you've over-emphasized the Penguin fans' current groupthink about Sundqvist post-trade. It was a swap of 4th liners. In Sundqvist's case, he's a 4th line center prospect, who also may be a waiver casualty if he can't stick. But I'm not sure where he would be dropping lower FROM. If folks have him slated higher, I think that's where the mistake was.

Armstrong has mentioned trying him at 3C. From my viewings I don't think he has the tools to ever be a 3C, and his chances of beating out Brodziak are very slim. As a 4RW, I would rather have Jaskin, I think.

MortiestOfMortys

Jun 27, 2015
Denver, CO
Armstrong has mentioned trying him at 3C. From my viewings I don't think he has the tools to ever be a 3C, and his chances of beating out Brodziak are very slim. As a 4RW, I would rather have Jaskin, I think.

To be fair, Armstrong has said that about half of our roster by now.

I don't think there's any reason to call Sundqvist a dud before he ever puts on the blue note for the first time. From what I've seen and heard about him, he's going to be a tough guy to play against, who is physical, aggressive, and a pest. Add on top of that that he has shown that he can score, and you've got a promising package.

Combine that with the fact that Yeo sat Brodziak in the playoffs last year, and I just think it's too early to say he's a disappointment. Most people here didn't even know he existed prior to the trade, so I'm not sure what expectations there are even to disappoint.

2 Minute Minor

Hi Keeba!
Jun 3, 2008
Temple, Texas

Yeah, I think Armstrong's comment was off too. He's fighting for a slot on the 4th line. Can he beat Jaskin? Can he beat Paajarvi? If so, he probably is secured of a roster spot. I would be surprised if he ends up on the 3rd line, although with Berglund out I guess maybe that could happen.

Davimir Tarablad

Sep 16, 2015
Yeah, I think Armstrong's comment was off too. He's fighting for a slot on the 4th line. Can he beat Jaskin? Can he beat Paajarvi? If so, he probably is secured of a roster spot. I would be surprised if he ends up on the 3rd line, although with Berglund out I guess maybe that could happen.

I feel like trying Sundqvist up at 3C isn't a bad idea, especially at camp/preseason. He scored at a decent pace in the AHL last year, so it's worth a shot in the preseason to see if he can find any chemistry with our 3rd line guys. If he shows decently in the preseason, he could make a case for being the occasional top9 fill in on over Jaskin/Paajarvi. If he doesn't, then no harm done as it'd only be preseason games.

Ranksu

Crotch Academy ftw
Sponsor
Apr 28, 2014
Lapland
giphy.gif

Stealth JD

Don't condescend me, man.
Sponsor
Jan 16, 2006
Bonita Springs, FL
A 6'5" LHD gazelle on the blue-line? That's a J-Bo replacement if he hits his potential...for 1/8th of the price.

I'll take Mikkola again.

MortiestOfMortys

Jun 27, 2015
Denver, CO
Not sure how you can say Mikkola is ahead of Lindbohm... are people considering Lindbohm "graduated"?

FWIW, I voted Musil and I stand by that. His junior production last season was excellent at times, and it translated in a big and important way to the Wolves during the playoffs. I don't expect him to ever be a 1st line player, but that's not where we're at in the rankings. I like Blais a lot, but in terms of a clear path to the NHL, Musil's got the Ryan Reaves Memorial Roster Spot on lock for the future. He could potentially be a quality center as well, and that's his natural position, but I see him contributing for us in some capacity in the not-too-distant future.

If we're just talking about upside, Toropchenko needs to be in the conversation, and Nolan Stevens should be getting more love than he is right now too. He's a big-time sleeper.

At some point Fitzpatrick needs to enter the conversation too. A few weeks pre- and post-injury tanked his stats, but few goalies in the Q did what he did last season. Consistency is an issue, but there's no reason to think that he isn't our top goalie prospect behind Husso at this point. That's going to be a fine duo in the AHL next season, in all likelihood.

Stealth JD

Don't condescend me, man.
Sponsor
Jan 16, 2006
Bonita Springs, FL
Not sure how you can say Mikkola is ahead of Lindbohm... are people considering Lindbohm "graduated"?

Lindbohm may be a full-time bottom-pairing guy for some NHL team...but it likely won't be St. Louis. Mikkola could very well force himself into the club's future over the next 2-3 seasons, as it's very clear that his upside dwarfs that of Lindbohm's.

Vincenzo Arelliti

He Can't Play Center
Oct 13, 2014
Lisle, IL
This isn't a depth chart - it's a prospect ranking. Mikkola has always had higher potential than Lindbohm, and Lindbohm hasn't looked impressive in the AHL.

STL fan in MN

Aug 16, 2007
Agreed with Mikkola ahead of Lindbohm. And it's not that I consider Lindbohm graduated, I just have him down at 17th on my list. I've seen others say he could be a 3rd pairing guy on another team but I don't necessarily agree with that. When I watch Lindbohm, I still see a guy that gets out of position a lot. I see a 2nd pairing AHL d-man. He surprised us all a couple years ago but really plateaued IMO.

medkit

Mar 22, 2014
I went Mikkola. Lets make sure to extend this poll for awhile until Mikkola wins by a vote, thanks.

EastonBlues22

Nov 25, 2003
RIP Fugu ϶(°o°)ϵ
I went Mikkola. Lets make sure to extend this poll for awhile until Mikkola wins by a vote, thanks.
Yup, it was a great conspiracy to make sure "my guy" won the poll for 7th best Blues prospect.

Because if anyone knows anything about me, it's that I carry a torch for Tage Thompson and I'm desperately invested in pumping his tires. :rolleyes:

Vincenzo Arelliti

He Can't Play Center
Oct 13, 2014
Lisle, IL
Yup, it was a great conspiracy to make sure "my guy" won the poll for 7th best Blues prospect.

Because if anyone knows anything about me, it's that I carry a torch for Tage Thompson and I'm desperately invested in pumping his tires. :rolleyes:

If I recall correctly you hate Tage Thompson and complain about him every day on here. Seems like your actions were premeditated and you concocted the perfect cover.

tumblr_minh27MLaM1renhw4o1_500.gif

Last edited:

Ranksu

Crotch Academy ftw
Sponsor
Apr 28, 2014
Lapland
Samuel ****i g Blais getti g more votes then Mikkola. Dear God its gonna be laugh when I arrive here in two years and bump up this year prospect polls. People are gonna be so suprised that we had such a good defender prospect in the pipe and no hype.

#12 pfff... I do understand that people haven't seem him that much, but really?

Bluesnatic27

Aug 5, 2011
Samuel ****i g Blais getti g more votes then Mikkola. Dear God its gonna be laugh when I arrive here in two years and bump up this year prospect polls. People are gonna be so suprised that we had such a good defender prospect in the pipe and no hype.

I really like Mikkola, but it's not like Blais doesn't have an argument to be more highly rated.

Davimir Tarablad

Sep 16, 2015

Blais put up the 2nd most goals by an AHL rookie this past year, so it's fairly reasonable to vote for him over a defenseman who still has the hurdle of adjusting to NA ice.

In previous rankings, Edmundson was ranked #13 in 2014, moved up to #11 in 2015, then made the roster full time from there. Mikkola ending up at #13 just means he's on the same track as Ed. :nod:

Shwabeal

Feb 24, 2016
Blais put up the 2nd most goals by an AHL rookie this past year, so it's fairly reasonable to vote for him over a defenseman who still has the hurdle of adjusting to NA ice.

In previous rankings, Edmundson was ranked #13 in 2014, moved up to #11 in 2015, then made the roster full time from there. Mikkola ending up at #13 just means he's on the same track as Ed. :nod:

Really the fact that they are so close in this voting and we are taking about the TWELFTH best prospect in the Blues pool just shows how deep it is and how far it really has come in the last few years. Despite the fact that there are no "Blue chip" prospects in the system, it is unreal that we are arguing about who is the twelfth best prospect in the system and each guy has a real possibility of becoming an NHLer in some capacity.

Not to mention that if w were to extrapolate the voting in this poll, we would have Mikkola at 13, Musil at 14 and Torpochenko at 15. It really is unreal and arguing over guys at this point is pointless and futile because all of the guys in this tier COULD become NHLers but it all depends on development. Its unfortunate to be having this argument/discussion but it really really is a major positive for the Blues organization.

Dbrownss

Jan 5, 2014

Its almost like you answered your own question....

Its almost like you could use this to explain why top tier talent falls in drafts and "Gems" are found

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad