Prospect Info: 17-18 Blues Top Prospect #1

Status
Not open for further replies.

tfriede2

Aug 8, 2010
Another for Dunn. Walman and Barbashev are close behind. Barbashev is very valuable, even if he "only" ends up as a 35 point 3rd line C. Dunn gets the edge due to the top pairing potential, whereas I think Barbashev's ceiling is a 50 point 2 C.

2018-19 Cup Champs!
Mar 22, 2012
Checking back at this I'm a little surprised by the results. I thought Dunn, Walman, and Barbie would be neck and neck. I really like our prospect pool despite not having a true blue chip prospect in the mix.

Mike Liut

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 12, 2008
I think the listed players above would beat the post lockout Blues

rumrokh

THORBS
Mar 10, 2006
Checking back at this I'm a little surprised by the results. I thought Dunn, Walman, and Barbie would be neck and neck. I really like our prospect pool despite not having a true blue chip prospect in the mix.

Polls don't work that way. Every person who voted for Dunn could think the same thing, but just give a tiny edge to Dunn.

Alklha

Sep 7, 2011
I think Dunn is easily our best prospect at this point. He just produced 45 points in his first pro season as a 20 year old. His skating and offensive ability give him the potential to be a special player in the NHL.

Barbashev is a solid prospect, but he doesn't have the same kind of upside. Walman is more difficult to read with so little pro experience.

Ranksu

Crotch Academy ftw
Sponsor
Apr 28, 2014
Lapland
I already love Dunn's mad edge on his game. Smallish defenseman who can play tough game and doesn't afraid 1on1 battle or even dropp the gloves. :box:

Ranksu

Crotch Academy ftw
Sponsor
Apr 28, 2014
Lapland
I think Dunn is easily our best prospect at this point. He just produced 45 points in his first pro season as a 20 year old. His skating and offensive ability give him the potential to be a special player in the NHL.

Barbashev is a solid prospect, but he doesn't have the same kind of upside. Walman is more difficult to read with so little pro experience.

Bolded: He was by far best 20-years old dmen at AHL last season. Best dmen on that age group.

STL fan in MN

Aug 16, 2007
I've gone back and forth a few times over the last couple of years on Walman and Dunn but as of today, I have Dunn ahead by just a bit. He's proven a little more but Walman has the ability to catch back up this season. I see both as projecting to be 2nd pairing d-men. Dunn with more offensive pop and Walman with a bit safer D game.

After those two, I'd probably go with Barbs.

Stealth JD

Don't condescend me, man.
Sponsor
Jan 16, 2006
Bonita Springs, FL
I have Walman as 1A and Dunn as 1B...picked Walman as I think he's going to be a hair better than Dunn...but you can't go wrong with either.

MissouriMook

Still just a Mook among men
Sponsor
Jul 4, 2014

I'm not going to argue the upside of Dunn versus Barbashev because they are apples to oranges to an extent. What I think people who see this as a slam dunk for Dunn are forgetting is that Barbashev was pacing for over 60 points as a 20 year old in the AHL last year, which I feel is on par with what Dunn did, and that he posted 12 points in 30 games in the NHL as a 20/21 year old. Compare and contrast that with Schwartz, who put up 13 points in 45 games in his first full NHL season (lockout year) as a 20 year old.

Again, I'm not arguing the upside of Barbashev versus Dunn and especially not Barbashev versus Schwartz, I just feel like may of the people weighing in on this poll may have lost sight of just how impressive Barbashev's season was last year.

STL fan in MN

Aug 16, 2007
Are we considering Sanford a prospect? I think we should. He's still only 22 (younger than Schmaltz and Lindbohm) and hasn't established himself as an NHLer yet (only 39 games played).

The old HF criteria was 65 games played or until someone reaches age 24.

rumrokh

THORBS
Mar 10, 2006
Are we looking for closest to being NHL ready or highest potential?

That's always the debate and there is no consensus, so everyone just weighs all the variables (including perceived likelihood of hitting that potential) and takes a stab.

Blanick

Winter is coming
Sep 20, 2011
St. Louis
I have got to go with Dunn here. The season he had in the AHL last year as a 20 year old has to catapult him into top spot for me.

simon IC

Sponsor
Sep 8, 2007
Canada
I went with Walman. I think his game is slightly more well rounded than Dunn's. It was a tough decision, though.

2 Minute Minor

Hi Keeba!
Jun 3, 2008
Temple, Texas
Are we considering Sanford a prospect? I think we should. He's still only 22 (younger than Schmaltz and Lindbohm) and hasn't established himself as an NHLer yet (only 39 games played).

The old HF criteria was 65 games played or until someone reaches age 24.

My preference is that we use this definition strictly, so its not a grey area. Otherwise we spend half the list debating about who is even eligible. This is as close to a neutral arbitrator as there is.

nicholas89alex

Nov 16, 2012
went with Dunn because i think he has the highest reasonably attainable potential.

I think pure potential goes to Kostin but Dunn has a better chance of reaching his ceiling if that makes sense.

David Dennison

I'm a tariff, man.
Jul 5, 2007
Grenyarnia
I voted Dunn, but surprised it is such a rout. I dont know if the Blues have that cant-miss guy, but have 8 or 9 guys who are intriguing.

One thing with Dunn is that there is an immediate opportunity for ice time on the left side of our defense, whereas ice time is going to be tough to come by in our top 6-9 for the next couple of years.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad