Prospect Info: 17-18 Blues Top Prospect #1

Status
Not open for further replies.

Spektre

Apr 10, 2010
Krynn
I'm the lone wolf taking Thomas. Just a guess he will have the best NHL career of any current Blues' prospect.

Blanick

Winter is coming
Sep 20, 2011
St. Louis
I'm the lone wolf taking Thomas. Just a guess he will have the best NHL career of any current Blues' prospect.

I really liked how he got better at each day at prospect camp. Kid has some swagger to his game when he feels comfortable. I still think he is going to be a ways away though.

ChicagoBlues

Sentient
Oct 24, 2006
Voted for Barbashev, but Dunn is a close second. Barbashev was probably just as impressive this past season in the AHL as Dunn, then handled himself quite nicely in NHL call-up duty. I expect him to take another big step in training camp and make the NHL team when camp breaks, especially with Bergy sidelined.

I think Dunn probably impresses in camp in that regard as well, but Gunnarsson may still be blocking him at that point, though I hope we trade Gunnar to make room for Dunn and clear cap space before American Thanksgiving. In fact, I wouldn't be opposed to rotating Dunn and Walman back and forth from the AHL #1 LD spot and the #3 LD NHL spot throughout the year to get them both some NHL experience. If they're both improving enough to earn full-time NHL duty in 2018-19, that gives us the opportunity to move Bouwmeester next offseason and clear some more space for guys like Fabbri, Edmundson, and some additional help up front if needed.

Clap clap clap
Nailed it!

Dunn and Walman and one of the forward prospects will rotate in as Army jetisons the bad cap hits.

Renard

Nov 14, 2011
St. Louis, MO
Its fun to look at the results of previous polls. Parayko was seventh in the 2014 poll, with both Rattie and Jaskin rated ahead of him.

I voted for Kostin, and I did so only because of the ecstatic comments from the Blues organization when the Blues picked him. I expect Dunn, Walman, Barbashev and others to play in the NHL before Kostin, but Kostin is said to have the highest potential.

Alklha

Sep 7, 2011
I'm not going to argue the upside of Dunn versus Barbashev because they are apples to oranges to an extent. What I think people who see this as a slam dunk for Dunn are forgetting is that Barbashev was pacing for over 60 points as a 20 year old in the AHL last year, which I feel is on par with what Dunn did, and that he posted 12 points in 30 games in the NHL as a 20/21 year old. Compare and contrast that with Schwartz, who put up 13 points in 45 games in his first full NHL season (lockout year) as a 20 year old.

Again, I'm not arguing the upside of Barbashev versus Dunn and especially not Barbashev versus Schwartz, I just feel like may of the people weighing in on this poll may have lost sight of just how impressive Barbashev's season was last year.

Barbashev had a very impressive season, but what he done in the AHL was as a second year pro. If we want to put what Dunn into perspective then compare what he done to the rookie season of Barbashev: 3 more goals and 14 more assists in 7 more games for Dunn, from defense.

If both guys were the same age, I'd have it very close. That year difference in development is what makes this not close for me, the attainable ceiling for Dunn looks like more of an impact player.

Ranksu

Crotch Academy ftw
Sponsor
Apr 28, 2014
Lapland
Its fun to look at the results of previous polls. Parayko was seventh in the 2014 poll, with both Rattie and Jaskin rated ahead of him.

I kind of dig also view back and compare what previous polls were. Interesting is also that 2014 Edmundson was #13, 2015 #11 and then he make a big jump or was it year when he was injured? Or was it while back 2014-15 when he was injured and people were low on him?

STL BLUES

Youth Movement
Oct 22, 2013
Up-Nort
Just look around the NHL and you quickly realize how special our AHL depth is. That's one of our strong suites. In a cap era that will make a huge difference.

This was a difficult choice as many of you have pointed out. I've never seen Dunn play so it's hard to vote for him. I can't wait. :handclap:

I was torn between Klim whom I believe could be a real difference maker and Barbie. Klim has by far the greatest upside potential.

However, I voted Barbie because he has in my mind already proven he can play at the NHL level. He showed a lot of tenacity and compete. At times he looked like he could center with Tank -- showing some chemistry together.

Who knows maybe down the road we could see an all Russian line of Kostin-Barbashev-Tarasenko. Could you imagine their chirping in Russian. Every time they light up the goal light we'd play “Dorogoi Dlinnoyuâ€Â. :blues

stl76

No. 5 in your programs, No. 1 in your hearts
Jul 2, 2015
Voted Dunn. When all is said and dunn :)sarcasm:), I think Walman may be the better player. I voted for Walman last year and was tempted to vote for him again, but you've gotta give credit to the season that Dunn just had as a 20 yo rookie in the AHL. Excited to see what Walman can do in a full AHL season this year!

HM to Barb, he's #3 at most IMO.

2018-19 Cup Champs!
Mar 22, 2012
Calling this one. Seems Dunn has an insurmountable lead. Thread 2 is now up.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad