Value of: 16th Overall + Kerfoot

Mersss

Jul 12, 2014
Poster said 16, not 26.

Typo,

Doesn't change the fact the 16th pick doesn't bring you a player of Drouin's talent. Put him in a situation where he plays with guys with ACTUAL talent (Suzuki) and not grinders (like Domi and Gallagher for example) and Drouin's is going to produce a LOT more then he is ATM. Unfortunately, our Coach doesn't understand that and has ALWAYS relly on les talented / grittier team in the past (BOS for example).

NHL has changed unfortunately, you need talent to win... Drouin has all the talent in the world, but no one to help him use it.

cgf

FireBednarsSuccessor
Oct 15, 2010
w/ Renly's Peach
Lol this is absolutely horrible for Colorado

? I'd gladly do that trade for Kadri and keep #16 to trade for Zucker.

EDIT:
Follow that up by signing someone like Donskoi with the money saved by shipping Kerfoot's rights somewhere and then just re-sign Mikko, Zads, Francouz, Compher, Kamenev, Greer & Nemeth to leave the team locked & loaded to capitalize on its window.

Landeskog - MacK - Zucker
Donskoi - Kadri - Rantanen
Calvert - Soderberg - Nieto
Jost - Kamenev - Compher
( A.J. Greer )

Zadorov - Barrie
Girard - Makar
Cole - Nemeth
( Barberio )

Grubauer
Francouz

Call ups:
Meloche, Kaut, Bowers, Toninato, O'Connor, Timmins, etc.

Last edited:
Reactions: Perratrooper

HOPE

Goal Caufield!
Jun 30, 2011
Montreal
Typo,

Doesn't change the fact the 16th pick doesn't bring you a player of Drouin's talent. Put him in a situation where he plays with guys with ACTUAL talent (Suzuki) and not grinders (like Domi and Gallagher for example) and Drouin's is going to produce a LOT more then he is ATM. Unfortunately, our Coach doesn't understand that and has ALWAYS relly on les talented / grittier team in the past (BOS for example).

NHL has changed unfortunately, you need talent to win... Drouin has all the talent in the world, but no one to help him use it.

... Domi isn't a grinder, he's got as much talent as Drouin, just a harder worker, it doesn't make him a grinder.

IWantSakicAsMyGM

Oct 13, 2011
Colorado
Are you speaking about specific UFAs?

Because I’m not sure how you can come to the conclusion that you don’t see anyone in the UFA market that is significantly better than the youngsters, if you’re not talking about only specific UFAs.

I'm talking about all realistic UFAs in relation to how they fit into the Avs long term plans. I expect that the guys who are obvious on-ice upgrades (Panarin, Duchene, Skinner, etc). will get more money/term than the Avs should be spending right now. Pavelski would be interesting on a 2 year contract, but likely won't leave San Jose, so not a lot of hope there. In the end, we're left with our choice of ~50 pt guys, who will likely be overpaid for too much term. I'd much rather take a chance on someone like Jost or Compher reaching ~50 points in their 3rd NHL season, at less than half the AAV of the UFA.

BackhandToedrag

Oct 25, 2016
Unless you can prove that Kessel is going to the piece that wins us a Cup, your "what if" is essentially meaningless.

I'm also not suggesting that we should avoid all UFAs and trades. I'm just saying that trading 16OA + Kerfoot for 3 years of 31 year old Kessel with a NMC for the next 3 years is the wrong thing to do for where the team is now. I also don't see anyone on the UFA market that I think is significantly better than the youngsters we already have. And the youngsters are cheaper, and don't need to be protected in the expansion draft.
Read the UFA list again man how about Panarin Duchene Hayes Nelson Eberle Pavelski Skinner Zucarelllo Ferland Lee... non of those guys appeal to? And when you already have a top five pick in this draft and your roster is stocked with young guy 4 youngest roster in the league and that includes Brassard varlly Wilson and Bourque all 27+ all of which could be gone we can afford to trade a pick as long as an impact forward comes back

The Devilish Buffoon

🇵🇸 viva 🇵🇸 free 🇵🇸
Dec 24, 2018

Interesting... I always held Johnson in higher esteem. I guess I am wrong. I like Kadri a lot too but wouldnt have thought Colorado would trade Johnson for him

Typo,

This is a bad take. Drouins only problem is between the ears. One of the least intelligent players in the league. No chance I trade 16th overall for Drouin, and I'm not even very high on this draft

Mersss

Jul 12, 2014
... Domi isn't a grinder, he's got as much talent as Drouin, just a harder worker, it doesn't make him a grinder.

He is a talented player, but talent-wise, Drouin and Suzuki are on a TOTALLY different planet.

Alex Kovalev was a very talented player with a questionnable work ethic, and he was a god to some Habs fans, iI just do not understand the hate towards Drouin. Give him another talented player to play with and a coach who won't sit him as soon as he does a defensive mistake and we'll see what he's really made of

cgf

FireBednarsSuccessor
Oct 15, 2010
w/ Renly's Peach
Interesting... I always held Johnson in higher esteem. I guess I am wrong. I like Kadri a lot too but wouldnt have thought Colorado would trade Johnson for him

This is a bad take. Drouins only problem is between the ears. One of the least intelligent players in the league. No chance I trade 16th overall for Drouin, and I'm not even very high on this draft

EJ's been surpassed by Barrie & Makar already, with Girard & Zadorov filling out the top 4 alongside those two and Cole already filling one third pairing (and PK-) spot...with Nemeth capable of filling the other until Meloche/Timmins can wrestle it away from him, if we re-sign him this summer. EJ's also slowed down some already, so by the expansion draft I doubt we'll protect him.

Plus we really need the help up front, where Kadri & Zucker would be great help to us even if we struck out completely in FA.

Reactions: Perratrooper

Gabe the Babe

Apr 24, 2014

EDIT:
Follow that up by signing someone like Donskoi with the money saved by shipping Kerfoot's rights somewhere and then just re-sign Mikko, Zads, Francouz, Compher, Kamenev, Greer & Nemeth to leave the team locked & loaded to capitalize on its window.

Landeskog - MacK - Zucker
Donskoi - Kadri - Rantanen
Calvert - Soderberg - Nieto
Jost - Kamenev - Compher
( A.J. Greer )

Zadorov - Barrie
Girard - Makar
Cole - Nemeth
( Barberio )

Grubauer
Francouz

Call ups:
Meloche, Kaut, Bowers, Toninato, O'Connor, Timmins, etc.
Compher and Jost are both better than Donskoi imo. Idk why we’d thirst for Joonas just to block those two from growing and play em 7 mins on line 4. Give em a chance in the middle 6 with PP2 time.

As for the other moves. Yes to Zuck. f*** no to him on the first line. Kadri is a decent stop gap until the 4 pick is ready but he’s also a scumbag.

Landeskog-Mackinnon-Rantanen
Jost-xxxxx-Compher
Zucker-Soderberg-Nieto
Calvert-Kamanev-O’Connor

That 2C spot is what we need to find. And imo they should go big game hunting. Use any assortment of the picks, Kaut, Bowers, Timmins, Meloche, Kerfoot and go get a 1B center.

Imagine what Jost and Compher can do with a Kopitar type. Obviously the 1B has to be available for trade. But I believe there are some that can be had for a price

cgf

FireBednarsSuccessor
Oct 15, 2010
w/ Renly's Peach
Compher and Jost are both better than Donskoi imo. Idk why we’d thirst for Joonas just to block those two from growing and play em 7 mins on line 4. Give em a chance in the middle 6 with PP2 time.

As for the other moves. Yes to Zuck. **** no to him on the first line. Kadri is a decent stop gap until the 4 pick is ready but he’s also a *******.

Landeskog-Mackinnon-Rantanen
Jost-xxxxx-Compher
Zucker-Soderberg-Nieto
Calvert-Kamanev-O’Connor

That 2C spot is what we need to find. And imo they should go big game hunting. Use any assortment of the picks, Kaut, Bowers, Timmins, Meloche, Kerfoot and go get a 1B center.

Imagine what Jost and Compher can do with a Kopitar type. Obviously the 1B has to be available for trade. But I believe there are some that can be had for a price

Making a lot of assumptions there. A) why would Jost & Jimmothy only get 7 minutes? B) Why wouldn't Jost n Jimmothy be on PP2? C) If Jost or Jimmothy ever catch Donskoi they could take that spot from him & only aren't on the "3rd" so that they can be on the more skilled bottom 6 line with Kamenev instead of being stuck with Soda who does better on a grinding line.

As for Zuck, why the hell would you want to get him only to stick him on the 3rd line? The whole point of adding him would be to pair his 30 goals with Gabe & MacK to capitalize on all of the chances that Kerf squandered; while Mikko drives his own line with our new 2c and Donskoi / Jost.

Feels like you're massively over-rating JTC & Jost if you're penciling them onto our 2nd line; even if we got someone like Drae or Barkov to anchor it.

Last edited:

cgf

FireBednarsSuccessor
Oct 15, 2010
w/ Renly's Peach
IMO a trade with Tampa Bay is the best option, this one is good but Sakic and Brisebois can work together for a good trade.

My issue is that I don't want Palat and I'm not sold on Miller as our 2c-solution, so I'd rather use the pick for someone like Zucker...who I know would be a phenomenal fit on our top line who would allow Mikko to anchor his own unit...or on a 2c-solution I was more confident in getting the job done, like Kadri.

Plus I don't see Kerf and the 3.75-4.25per (if not more) that he has the #s to get in arbitration, as being all too appealing to Tampa. Edmonton feels like the team to send Kerf to for a couple of later top-100 picks.

IWantSakicAsMyGM

Oct 13, 2011
Colorado
Read the UFA list again man how about Panarin Duchene Hayes Nelson Eberle Pavelski Skinner Zucarelllo Ferland Lee... non of those guys appeal to? And when you already have a top five pick in this draft and your roster is stocked with young guy 4 youngest roster in the league and that includes Brassard varlly Wilson and Bourque all 27+ all of which could be gone we can afford to trade a pick as long as an impact forward comes back

At the cap hit and term those guys are going to command on the open market, no, none of those guys really appeal to me. If we could get someone in that group on a 2 year contract, I'd definitely consider it, but our cap situation gets complicated in the next couple years, with Landy, Barrie, Makar, Girard, and Jost all needing new contracts, and that's not even considering Rantanen, Zadorov, Compher and Kerfoot? this off season. Overpaying someone based on past performance is only going to further complicate our cap situation. On top of that, how long until 4OA is better than whoever we sign? Or what happens if Jost comes into camp next season ready to be a 2C? Or Compher? I'd rather bet on our youngsters than against them.

I also think that the best way to get an impact player on their ELC is through the draft.

BackhandToedrag

Oct 25, 2016
At the cap hit and term those guys are going to command on the open market, no, none of those guys really appeal to me. If we could get someone in that group on a 2 year contract, I'd definitely consider it, but our cap situation gets complicated in the next couple years, with Landy, Barrie, Makar, Girard, and Jost all needing new contracts, and that's not even considering Rantanen, Zadorov, Compher and Kerfoot? this off season. Overpaying someone based on past performance is only going to further complicate our cap situation. On top of that, how long until 4OA is better than whoever we sign? Or what happens if Jost comes into camp next season ready to be a 2C? Or Compher? I'd rather bet on our youngsters than against them.

I also think that the best way to get an impact player on their ELC is through the draft.
Everyone thinks that that isn't a new idea but what I'm saying is every team that wins has vets on the team, a lot of time those vets are guys that won cups elsewhere think what you want about Kessel or his contract (which isn't bad btw) but you can't question his production (playoffs especially) and he won 2 cups

VikingAv

Mediiic!!
Jun 18, 2006
Norway
Plus I don't see Kerf and the 3.75-4.25per (if not more) that he has the #s to get in arbitration, as being all too appealing to Tampa. Edmonton feels like the team to send Kerf to for a couple of later top-100 picks.

Which contract do we take back from Edmonton in this scenario?

HoseEmDown

Mar 25, 2012
My issue is that I don't want Palat and I'm not sold on Miller as our 2c-solution, so I'd rather use the pick for someone like Zucker...who I know would be a phenomenal fit on our top line who would allow Mikko to anchor his own unit...or on a 2c-solution I was more confident in getting the job done, like Kadri.

Miller and Zucker aren't too far off. Miller can play C too and has a good shot but prefers to pass more. So like I was said Zucker gives you a few more goals but Miller is more versatile as he can play C and brings much more physically.

Kerfoot isn't ideal for us at 4mil but it would save money on Palat and we can use him for a year then try to move him later or flip him right away. Seems like Kerfoot and Palat aren't wanted by either of their teams so value must be good on the two. Is Miller worth 16 though.

IWantSakicAsMyGM

Oct 13, 2011
Colorado
Everyone thinks that that isn't a new idea but what I'm saying is every team that wins has vets on the team, a lot of time those vets are guys that won cups elsewhere think what you want about Kessel or his contract (which isn't bad btw) but you can't question his production (playoffs especially) and he won 2 cups

And yet there are a bunch of people suggesting that we give up a good chance at getting an impact player on their ELC in exchange for a 31 year old. Two years of Kessel isn't worth that asking price. He doesn't guarantee us a Cup, even though he is a very productive playoff player. It's a short term solution, when we should be looking at a long term solution.

As for vets, we have Cole (2 Cups) and Grubauer (1 Cup). How many more vets with rings do we need? Is 3 the magic number to guarantee a Cup?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad