GDT: #16 | Penguins @ Islanders | 7:00pm | Nov 7, 2019

Status
Not open for further replies.

Honour Over Glory

Fire Sully
Jan 30, 2012
Boston, TB, FLA, Vegas And EDM off the top of my head. And even if we didn't win all of them, we should have come away with more than one point.
[insert sully head and roster excuses with shade thrown at the gm for some reason or another]

Mr Jiggyfly

Jan 29, 2004
I hate this "We won a Cup without Letang" stuff. Yeah, we did, but we had overwhelming performances from Sid, Geno, Kessel, and Jake, as well as unbelievably clutch goaltending from MAF and Murray. Our talent covered up a lot of issues. So much so that they continued for multiple years after we won that second Cup of the back to backs.

I think Geno's situation is a different beast than Letang's though. We have forward depth, even if it's not the kind of game breaker stuff Geno can bring. Letang's absence puts a bigger role on the shoulders of guys like Schultz and JJ just by virtue of his responsibilities getting distributed. Excited to see Marino in an increased role though. I think he's our 2nd pairing Schultz replacement if/when Schultz walks this summer. I'd still like to see us go all out in trying to find Letang's heir apparent though. If the injuries keep piling up, and I'm pretty confident they will, he'll be done after this deal is up in three years. It's way past time to start looking for the guy to take over.

Just don’t know how to land a Letang replacement.

No one is trading a guy like that and even less chance guys like that go to FA... usually takes a top ten pick to find a blueliner of his ilk.

Maybe they get once in a generation lucky like they did finding him in round three.

Probably used that luck up with Guentzel though.

Sidney the Kidney

One last time
Jun 29, 2009
Bjugs vs Brassard board battle. The first board battle to have zero physical contact.

Preview of their first head-to-head shift against each other:

Gc3Fuhs.gif

Andy99

Jun 26, 2017
Pens' team that generates 40+ shots but can struggle to score versus a stingy defensive team. This game will either be a shutout for the Isles or the Pens will explode for 7 goals. I don't see anything in between those two.

Pens aren’t going to get 7 goals against the Isles...has anyone? It’s going to be a close game, 2-1 or 3-1 or something...I just hope we’re on the winning end...

AuroraBorealis

Back-to-back hater
Oct 16, 2018
Vancouver, British Columbia
I don’t see how you can refer to the last two games as squandered. We fought back and got a point with Edmonton. We took the lead in Boston and our goaltending let us down. I dunno. I think people are being way too hard on this team.
Yeah, and goaltending allowing very savable shots from bad angles was squandering.

The Edmonton game we outshot them 52-28. Missed open nets from Letang and Malkin, among other great chances. Failed to make Smith move laterally enough. Not connecting on backdoor plays.

Both should have been W's. I don't take it hard though. I'm just glad they're not anywhere near as boring as last year.

Reactions: Ryder71

Ryder71

Nov 24, 2017
I can watch the game tonight, soooo hyped. Like what I saw the past few games but we gotta get a W
It'd be nice if the boys got rewarded for the efforts, and hopefully their efforts tonight are good enough to end the Isles streak. We can start with some solid goaltending.

Reactions: Andy99

Ryder71

Nov 24, 2017
Yeah, and goaltending allowing very savable shots from bad angles was squandering.

The Edmonton game we outshot them 52-28. Missed open nets from Letang and Malkin, among other great chances. Failed to make Smith move laterally enough. Not connecting on backdoor plays.

Both should have been W's. I don't take it hard though. I'm just glad they're not anywhere near as boring as last year.
Agreed, and no it's not the end of the world that we lost those games, but it creates a scenario as the season moves along where by we'll have to go on a long run. Sure we're capable of that based on our recent play, but injuries, slumps as well as other teams hitting their strides might make that very difficult. It's better to not put ourselves in that position.

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
San Diego, CA
last-train-tocool.blogspot.com
Agreed, and no it's not the end of the world that we lost those games, but it creates a scenario as the season moves along where by we'll have to go on a long run. Sure we're capable of that based on our recent play, but injuries, slumps as well as other teams hitting their strides might make that very difficult. It's better to not put ourselves in that position.

We are two points off third place in our division. You’re really overreacting here. If we win 2 of 3 against New York in the next two weeks we could easily be in second.

Big Friggin Dummy

Feb 22, 2019
Just don’t know how to land a Letang replacement.

No one is trading a guy like that and even less chance guys like that go to FA... usually takes a top ten pick to find a blueliner of his ilk.

Maybe they get once in a generation lucky like they did finding him in round three.

Probably used that luck up with Guentzel though.
Yep. Definitely isn't gonna be easy, but we need to start actively looking imo. The guy's not gonna fall into our laps, this is the kind of thing JR's gotta be working on for the next couple of years, likely.

Ryder71

Nov 24, 2017
We are two points off third place in our division. You’re really overreacting here. If we win 2 of 3 against New York in the next two weeks we could easily be in second.
How am I overreacting? Didn't I state in my first sentence that it's ''not the end of the world''? All I'm saying is that it's not good to squander points, and with injuries and such there's a lot of uncertainty there. Which would be better to avoid if possible. I'm not suggesting the season is over or that we should hide under the bed or something. Not yet anyhow.:cool:

Bingo71

Apr 3, 2018
Corry, PA
Here’s to moral victories. Even if they dominate and still lose, we can just blame Letang being out.

Perhaps the NHL should start awarding half a point to the team that dominates?

AuroraBorealis

Back-to-back hater
Oct 16, 2018
Vancouver, British Columbia
I suggest looking at divisional points percentage until around the 65 game mark, at which time it's good to start focusing on the wild card situation. Been doing that for a few years. Accounts for all the games in hand. Paints a clearer picture. Dispels some illusions.

Like so: NHL.com - Stats

I guess it just bothers me when people talk about teams being 2 points ahead of another or whatever late in the season, while neglecting to mention there's like 5 games in hand for the trailing team. This method is just more honest.

Honour Over Glory

Fire Sully
Jan 30, 2012
How am I overreacting? Didn't I state in my first sentence that it's ''not the end of the world''? All I'm saying is that it's not good to squander points, and with injuries and such there's a lot of uncertainty there. Which would be better to avoid if possible. I'm not suggesting the season is over or that we should hide under the bed or something. Not yet anyhow.:cool:
Don't worry, that same thing was said last season. Look at how amazing that ended in the playoffs? We were just a few pts out of something something...

Last edited:
Reactions: Ryder71

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
San Diego, CA
last-train-tocool.blogspot.com
I suggest looking at divisional points percentage until around the 65 game mark, at which time it's good to start focusing on the wild card situation. Been doing that for a few years. Accounts for all the games in hand. Paints a clearer picture. Dispels some illusions.

Like so: NHL.com - Stats

I guess it just bothers me when people talk about teams being 2 points ahead of another or whatever late in the season, while neglecting to mention there's like 5 games in hand for the trailing team. This method is just more honest.

I guess. I’d say looking at percentages that are so easily skewed at this point is pretty dumb.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad