GDT: #16 | Penguins @ Islanders | 7:00pm | Nov 7, 2019

Status
Not open for further replies.

RSPens

May 25, 2015
Think they have an assbeating incoming tonight, unfortunately. See a rough night from L2, in particular. Don't know if they've completely shaken the stink of that Islanders debacle off of them from last year and no Letang is obviously not good.

The thing to remember, is that just because we have a lot of the same players, the Pens are a completely different team then they were in the playoffs last year. The forwards have been covering for the D a lot more than any time last year. The team is playing with speed throughout the line-up. As good as Letang is at times, he also makes some bone-head decisions that costs the team. Also traditionally the team plays better defensively when Letang is out. All 4 lines need to keep playing up to the level that they were when Geno was out. Pedal to the floor hockey. Could actually make and Islanders game exciting for a change.

Reactions: BlindWillyMcHurt

Mr Jiggyfly

Jan 29, 2004
I'm less worried about our tempo and ability to get offense going and more worried about our ability to stop the other guys from scoring. :laugh:

It was like night and day after Tanger left the game against the Bruins. Felt like they went from pressuring while trying to tie it up to completely overwhelming us.

Well being down to five guys is usually rough so, not exactly surprising.

However, I didn’t see that as a big issue. Pens were all over them until the dumb ZAR penalty. That arena was lifeless and the Bruins looked dead in the water.

They got the 4-4 and scored and hockey momentum is really tough to stop when a team gets a big lift.

I suspect they will be fine defensively without Letang, as they won’t take as many chances.

How Marino does will determine if they can generate much offense in his absence. I’m sure Riikola will help as well.

I just see it as a good opportunity for the young guys.

Big Friggin Dummy

Feb 22, 2019
Well being down to five guys is usually rough so, not exactly surprising.

However, I didn’t see that as a big issue. Pens were all over them until the dumb ZAR penalty. That arena was lifeless and the Bruins looked dead in the water.

They got the 4-4 and scored and hockey momentum is really tough to stop when a team gets a big lift.

I suspect they will be fine defensively without Letang, as they won’t take as many chances.

How Marino does will determine if they can generate much offense in his absence. I’m sure Riikola will help as well.

I just see it as a good opportunity for the young guys.
Fair enough. Wish I shared that optimism. :laugh:

Corvidae

May 5, 2009
He’s out tonight and “not a probability” for Saturday says Sully...they’re really being coy like they were with his neck injury...not good news

Oh shit, that guy's dead. RIP Killer Kris. You were too beautiful for this world.

Reactions: BillPrep

Mr Jiggyfly

Jan 29, 2004
Fair enough. Wish I shared that optimism. :laugh:

Whenever I see them playing Sullivan’s system very well like they are now, I’m always very optimistic, even if the Ws aren’t happening right now.

Losses suck early on, but many teams of destiny made a great push well into the season... late Feb for the 92 Pens, late Feb 2009 Pens, mid Jan for the 2016 Pens, early March for the 2018 Caps, mid Jan for the 2019 Blues.

If it’s meant to be, they will make a big push at some point after late January, which has always been my measuring stick of when it’s time to worry or not.

Despite the rhetoric about autumn points being worth as much as stretch points, it’s not something I’ve ever worried much about.

Getting hot later in the season has proven time and again to be quite advantageous, and knowing you have to make up lost points I’m 100% sure lights that essential fire under player’s asses down the stretch.

Unlike teams feeling too comfortable and coasting off a glut of early season points.

Big Friggin Dummy

Feb 22, 2019
Whenever I see them playing Sullivan’s system very well like they are now, I’m always very optimistic, even if the Ws aren’t happening right now.

Losses suck early on, but many teams of destiny made a great push well into the season... late Feb for the 92 Pens, late Feb 2009 Pens, mid Jan for the 2016 Pens, early March for the 2018 Caps, mid Jan for the 2019 Blues.

If it’s meant to be, they will make a big push at some point after late January, which has always been my measuring stick of when it’s time to worry or not.

Despite the rhetoric about autumn points being worth as much as stretch points, it’s not something I’ve ever worried much about.

Getting hot later in the season has proven time and again to be quite advantageous, and knowing you have to make up lost points I’m 100% sure lights that essential fire under player’s asses.

Unlike teams feeling too comfortable and coasting off Autumn points.
Sure, but there's always the issue of peaking too early, or that the feverish play style in order to make up ground in the standings results in a burnt out team that's dead to fatigue by the time April rolls around. I don't know, I'm just sayin' that I don't think there's any real silver lining of a Letang injury. In my opinion, he's one of two guys this team simply cannot lose for any length of time; the other being Sid.

Mr Jiggyfly

Jan 29, 2004
Sure, but there's always the issue of peaking too early, or that the feverish play style in order to make up ground in the standings results in a burnt out team that's dead to fatigue by the time April rolls around. I don't know, I'm just sayin' that I don't think there's any real silver lining of a Letang injury. In my opinion, he's one of two guys this team simply cannot lose for any length of time; the other being Sid.

Losing Letang isn’t good for this team, but it gives Marino an enhanced role and if he can handle it, that’s a big positive.

Tons of people went into despair when Malkin and half the team went down and they did quite well.

RSPens

May 25, 2015

As long as Letang is healthy come April, then I think the team will be fine. Yes the team loses a lot of their offensive bite, but everyone seems to step up defensively when Letang is out. Heck the Pens won a cup with Letang injured. Yes, I know the defense had slightly better depth that year, but the Pens have arguably better forward depth this year. Not to mention that the forwards have consistently helped out the D, something that the team surely lacked last season. The biggest issue with this Letang injury is the upcoming schedule. If the Pens had a series of Western opponents, then its not an issue, .500 hockey would be sufficient. Unfortunately they have a bunch of divisional opponents coming up, so the points are worth a lot more.

Honour Over Glory

Fire Sully
Jan 30, 2012
I hope for a win, but I will be utterly shocked this team wins in a coaching battle, which it is vs a team like the Islanders.

ON paper, this should be a drubbing by the Pens.
ON the ice, we're more likely to see the Isles methodically tearing the Pens apart and people here blaming the lsos of Letang as the reason so they can sleep better at night.

turd

Feb 1, 2013
If the goaltending is anything similar to what it was the other night, they don’t stand a chance. If Murray is at least average, and the team plays like it has been, then they can win the game. But Murray has to be better tonight. I think it starts and stops with that.

Big Friggin Dummy

Feb 22, 2019
I hate this "We won a Cup without Letang" stuff. Yeah, we did, but we had overwhelming performances from Sid, Geno, Kessel, and Jake, as well as unbelievably clutch goaltending from MAF and Murray. Our talent covered up a lot of issues. So much so that they continued for multiple years after we won that second Cup of the back to backs.

Losing Letang isn’t good for this team, but it gives Marino an enhanced role and if he can handle it, that’s a big positive.

Tons of people went into despair when Malkin and half the team went down and they did quite well.
I think Geno's situation is a different beast than Letang's though. We have forward depth, even if it's not the kind of game breaker stuff Geno can bring. Letang's absence puts a bigger role on the shoulders of guys like Schultz and JJ just by virtue of his responsibilities getting distributed. Excited to see Marino in an increased role though. I think he's our 2nd pairing Schultz replacement if/when Schultz walks this summer. I'd still like to see us go all out in trying to find Letang's heir apparent though. If the injuries keep piling up, and I'm pretty confident they will, he'll be done after this deal is up in three years. It's way past time to start looking for the guy to take over.

Sidney the Kidney

One last time
Jun 29, 2009
Pens' team that generates 40+ shots but can struggle to score versus a stingy defensive team. This game will either be a shutout for the Isles or the Pens will explode for 7 goals. I don't see anything in between those two.

Reactions: Riseonfire

buud

Ping Pong Predator
Oct 3, 2017
43N -79
I am expecting no less than playoff hockey tonight. Should be crazy good!

In light of the serious injuries recently, I wish your team good fortune and health.

Reactions: Ugene Malkin

Honour Over Glory

Fire Sully
Jan 30, 2012
Oh god I forgot he signed with the Isles.

Yeah... they're gonna get smoked, for sure.
7pts in 14 games for them, he's rebounded after a journey across the league (Ottawa-VGK-Pens-Florida-Colorado...)

While Letang is out, I would go Dumoulin-Marino as the top pair, but man that 3rd pair is going to be a journey if JJ was severely propped up by Marino and not just having a rebound year as a passable NHL player on his own merit.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad