'16/'17 Selke Trophy Winner: Patrice Bergeron

qc

Aug 23, 2011
The great one said Kesler was the best forward in the NHL... I'll take his opinion over this. No way he should have lost this one... this was name recognition

The great one says a lot of things...

jgatie

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 22, 2011
The great one said Kesler was the best forward in the NHL... I'll take his opinion over this. No way he should have lost this one... this was name recognition

I think I've heard Gretzky say "player XYZ is the best" about thirty different guys. He's pretty generous with his praise.

PatriceBergeronFan

Jul 15, 2011
USA

Bergeron deserves every Selke award the past few and next few years. :)

How McDavid is on the list, I do not know.

JeremyTB

Mar 16, 2007
The Selke is like the gold glove in baseball. Once you win a couple of them they will just start giving them to you based on reputation unless you have a real horrible season in that regard.

BRUINS since 1995

May 10, 2010
Au pays de la neige
Last year Forsberg was voted 10th overall for Selke (Something he didn't deserve), and this season despite improved defensive play and less reliant on Ozone starts doesn't even deserve a spot in the top 20 (Although I'll be honest the players in the top 20 are all more deserving), what a joke.

I see it. A deserving player needs to be authorized by you. Hope nhl and media read that they must submit there list on hfboards.

Machinehead

GoAwayTrouba
Jan 21, 2011
NYC

Gretzky probably said Tanner Glass was the best forward in the NHL at one point. He says that about everyone.

b in vancouver

Jul 28, 2005
He should probably win it every year tbh. It's always a pain in the ass watching him play against the Penguins. What a player

Yep.
And that's where you see it even more so. Sid, Giroux, Tavares, Geno, Stammer, etc. have 'Bergeron' circled on their calendars - not 'Bruins'.
He's the player those guys are trying to beat. And head-to-head they can't. Or rarely.

Sid's the best player in the league (since, I'm going to say Lindros as I was a big fan) and I guarantee that he loves/hates going up against Bergeron.

E. Staal seemed to own him but outside of him, the top-flight players that do damage against the Bruins are wingers. Mostly because Bergeron takes their #1C out of the game and usually out-produces them.

He's just a pain in the ass to play against.

jgatie

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 22, 2011
Yep.
And that's where you see it even more so. Sid, Giroux, Tavares, Geno, Stammer, etc. have 'Bergeron' circled on their calendars - not 'Bruins'.
He's the player those guys are trying to beat. And head-to-head they can't. Or rarely.

Sid's the best player in the league (since, I'm going to say Lindros as I was a big fan) and I guarantee that he loves/hates going up against Bergeron.

E. Staal seemed to own him but outside of him, the top-flight players that do damage against the Bruins are wingers. Mostly because Bergeron takes their #1C out of the game and usually out-produces them.

He's just a pain in the ass to play against.

They don't call him "Perfect Patrice" for nothing. When given a choice between the best shutdown C and the best shutdown D to go against Crosby, Bergeron got the job. He stymied Crosby and Chara got Malkin, holding them to zero points in a 4 game sweep in 2013. Nobody does that; yet Bergeron did.

b in vancouver

Jul 28, 2005
They don't call him "Perfect Patrice" for nothing. When given a choice between the best shutdown C and the best shutdown D to go against Crosby, Bergeron got the job. He stymied Crosby and Chara got Malkin, holding them to zero points in a 4 game sweep in 2013. Nobody does that; yet Bergeron did.

It's fans of rival teams with very good/excellent #1 centres who notice how good Bergeron is. When you're used to watching your top-flight centre dictate the play, game in - game out, and then you see them up against 'Perfect Patrice' ... fans will be 'what happened? so and so had a bad game.' and then it happens again, and by the third time people start taking notice. It's strange because he's not flashy so you don't really notice him out there until you start thinking 'What's our d thinking? they don't turn the puck over like. - oh, it's Bergeron.', 'How are we 3-15 in face-offs this period? - oh, its Bergeron.', 'Our power play sucks. - oh, it's Bergeron.', etc.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad