Doug Jarvis | 1 | 1 | | 1 | | 3
Doug Gilmour | 1 | 1 | | | 1 | 3
Rick Meagher | 1 | | | 1 | 1 | 3
Craig Conroy | | 1 | 1 | | 1 | 3
Joel Otto | | | 2 | | 1 | 3
Don Luce | | | 1 | 1 | 1 | 3

JBose7

Jun 7, 2013
The fact that Marian Hossa never won a Selke tells me this voting is not legitimate. Period. Bergeron is a great defensive player but people never thought Hossa was good enough for it? Cmon

bobermay

Mar 6, 2009
Fredericton
The fact that Marian Hossa never won a Selke tells me this voting is not legitimate. Period. Bergeron is a great defensive player but people never thought Hossa was good enough for it? Cmon

I agree. Selke is just a popularity contest.

FrozenJagrt

Dec 16, 2009

It's a reputation award just like the Norris. You have some "what have you done for me lately" trophies like the Hart, but the Norris and Selke too frequently go to the familiar guys.

That's not to say that Bergeron didn't deserve to win. But it's kind of fishy when you see the same guys in the top 5 every single year. I liken it to when Lidstrom won his lifetime achievement Norris. Weber got robbed that year, despite the point difference.

SpookyTsuki

Dec 3, 2014

Datsyuk should have like 6-7. So should a couple others from way back in the stone ages. Selke is a useless award at this point. Norris (becoming a joke) and hart (super predictable but rightfully so) are the only awards left at this point

NDiesel

Mar 22, 2008
NWO
People calling selke useless - are you trying to tell us that Bergeron did not deserve it? Are you saying Koivu and Kesler aren't deserving of the nominations?

Nithoniniel

Sep 7, 2012
Skövde, Sweden
Who though Tavares was the best defensive forward lol.

I'd say that half of that list has no business getting votes at all. It's a select group that has a case for being a top 5 defensive forward, and most of them would be sharing the 4 and 5 votes.

I care! It is a treat as a Bruins fan to watch Bergeron play.:handclap:

It's a treat for anyone to watch Bergeron play.

Bjornar Moxnes

Stem Rødt og Felix Unger Sörum
Oct 16, 2016
Troms og Finnmark
Last year Forsberg was voted 10th overall for Selke (Something he didn't deserve), and this season despite improved defensive play and less reliant on Ozone starts doesn't even deserve a spot in the top 20 (Although I'll be honest the players in the top 20 are all more deserving), what a joke.

missingchicklet

Jan 24, 2010
Look at the award criteria. Look at the stats relative to the criteria. Yeah, Bergeron easily deserved the award this year.

Demon Eyes

Nov 29, 2014
Kopitar didn't even get more votes then Marchand. Wasn't he supposed to be top 3 candidate?

wintersej

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 26, 2011
North Andover, MA
I think you can both say that the Selke is an award based on reputation and is really about "two-way" instead of defense and that there are some REALLY questionable votes above...

...and also say that Bergeron deserves to win just about every year.

b in vancouver

Jul 28, 2005
People complaining that it's a popularity contest or reputation award - when Bergeron wins?

He is simply one of the all time great defensive players
When the other team has the puck or it's a 50/50 battle or a face-off - there's no other player in the league you'd prefer to have on the ice. His positioning, angles and active stick and face-offs are simply the best in the league and have been for the past 6 or more years.

He should for sure have 5 by now (Toews year when a few voters left him out of their top 5) if not 6 (Kopitar)

The guy should be on every film study for junior players.

There's a reason why Team Canada has him on the 1st line, #1 p.k. unit, and takes the bulk of defensive draws in close games.

There's some other great defensive players (the usual suspects) and a couple of others - but Bergeron is in a class by himself for the past few years. He's the best at it - but also the most consistent.

bob27

Grzelcyk is a top pairing defenceman
Apr 2, 2015
I agree. Selke is just a popularity contest.

It's just as much a popularity contest as all the other awards with non-objective criteria. Hart is the biggest reputation award there is.

tony d

Jun 23, 2007
Behind A Tree
Congrats to Bergeron. Easily the best defensive centre in the league today and among the best of all time as a defensive forward.

ESH

Jun 19, 2011

What year should he have won it?

mikeyp24

Jun 28, 2014
The great one said Kesler was the best forward in the NHL... I'll take his opinion over this. No way he should have lost this one... this was name recognition

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad