Prospect Info: 16-17 Red Wings Mid-Season Prospect Ranking -- #1

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010
Cholo has 1 goal in 22 games and is -7 while playing in college.
How would he fit this bill?

Here's how he compares with his peers:

YVjY1h8.png

Rzombo4 prez

May 17, 2012
I don't see him as that great of a prospect to be honest. Going into the draft last year he was projected as a mid 2nd round pick, and that's where he should have been taken. It was a bad move to take him in my opinion. Should have taken a forward. I know our D prospect cupboard is thin, but you can't make that much of a reach. BPA should have been the strategy there, which would have been a forward (Gauthier/Jones/Steel/Debrincat).

His numbers are just "meh". I know he's young, and has lots of time to develop. Detroit is always incredibly patient, so who knows, in 3 years maybe this pick will pay off, but as of now I don't really see too much potential. I easily prefer Hronek.

Players should be picked where they were projected to go going into their draft year? So we should just ignore all draft-year development?

Cholo wasn't much of a reach at all.

Cyborg Yzerberg

Nov 8, 2007
Philadelphia
Dennis Cholowski doesn't get much love around here, does he? :amazed:

There's guys I never give up on and it works out like Mantha. There's guys I never give up on and get burned like Sheahan. Right now, Cholowski does nothing for me. He represents Ken Holland's inability to manage the cap and his delusion, and he as a prospect doesn't excite me as much as Fabbro or Chychrun would. That said, I'll happily eat crow if he develops into a top pairing defenseman, or develops into a better defenseman than Fabbro and/or Chychrun.

Martinez

Go Blue
Oct 10, 2015
You can't just stat watch a guy like cholo. How many of us watch St. Cloud state games?

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010
There's guys I never give up on and it works out like Mantha. There's guys I never give up on and get burned like Sheahan. Right now, Cholowski does nothing for me. He represents Ken Holland's inability to manage the cap and his delusion, and he as a prospect doesn't excite me as much as Fabbro or Chychrun would. That said, I'll happily eat crow if he develops into a top pairing defenseman, or develops into a better defenseman than Fabbro and/or Chychrun.

By the same token, I like Cholowski better than the defenseman taken immediately before (Stanley) and after (Johnansen) him. I like his skill set better than both of those players.

Part of my issue is I generally don't like late risers. Guys who come into the picture at the last minute. It makes me skeptical.

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010
So if i'm reading that correctly, among all U-19 defenders in NCAA Cholowski has the 2nd most points?

Tied with Peeke for 2nd. Although he is only U19 for another month. Fabbro missed games for the WJC. Their ppg is about the same. But Fabbro's on a much deeper/better team.

FireBird71

Aug 6, 2015
By the same token, I like Cholowski better than the defenseman taken immediately before (Stanley) and after (Johnansen) him. I like his skill set better than both of those players.

Part of my issue is I generally don't like late risers. Guys who come into the picture at the last minute. It makes me skeptical.

I wish Cholo could play somewhere and in the CHL

Rzombo4 prez

May 17, 2012
I think Nosek could play in the NHL, but I don't think he's ever going to be more than a depth guy. There's a lot of guys with much higher ceilings that are close to his level and younger in age.

I agree that Nosek could play right now in the NHL. I would not be dismissive of him, however, simply because he projects as a bottom-six guy. Apart from Svech, every forward on this prospect list projects to be a bottom-six forward.

SpookyTsuki

Dec 3, 2014
I agree that Nosek could play right now in the NHL. I would not be dismissive of him, however, simply because he projects as a bottom-six guy. Apart from Svech, every forward on this prospect list projects to be a bottom-six forward.

Maybe bert will be a top six. But at least he and holmstrom are probably the playoff carriers. Bert will be way better then nyquist in the post season. He has had 4 consecutive seasons of ppg play in the playoffs (1 point less then gp is pretty much ppg)

Where as nyquist scores like 2 in 5 or less. Especially now. Holmstrom had one over ppg. And a 6 in 10 campaign

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad