'16/'17 Norris Trophy winner: Brent Burns

unknown33

Dec 8, 2009
he's going to get Norris credit for this up coming season for his playoff run this last year?...
It kinda does. Changed his reputation.

Whenever someone comes up with "Karlsson is just a 4th forward" it will be countered by "Did you watch the '17 playoffs?".

unknown33

Dec 8, 2009
If you think Canadian writers would campaign for anyone but a Canadian, you are terribly naïve.
How do you explain Lidstrom being the default norris winner for a few years then?

Is his English so good that the media mistook him as Canadian?

member 151739

There's no nationalistic bias, but there seems to be a bias against the man himself. It honestly feels like they flat out just don't want to put him in the same conversation as a lot of the all-time greats, which a third or fourth Norris trophy would do, even though he fully deserved it this season.

Congrats to Brent Burns for a great season however.

DANTHEMAN1967

Aug 10, 2016
I don't think it's just a Canaidan bias, although I think that certainly plays a part, despite some people not wanting tot admit that. I think it more has to do with Ottawa being one if the smallest markets in the league. I laugh at all the SJ and LA fans that always complained that nobody watches their team and their defensemen get no attention because of it. Yes, nobody watches the 2 time cup champs and Stanley Cup finalist at the time of this season. Let's be honest here, nobody really watches Ottawa, and it shows when everybody was acting like Karlsson was doing something remarkable in the playoffs. No, that's just how he usually plays, you just started watching that's all.

Time to take off your Sens goggles.
Karlsson was good in the playoffs but a lot of it was commented on by the press because he was playing well while being hurt.
People found out he was hurt because Karlsson told them he was hurt hmmm.... Sounds like someone likes the attention!

DANTHEMAN1967

Aug 10, 2016
Karlsson and Burns are both forwards playing D.

The award criteria should be changed to simply award it to the Dman with the most points or something, because it has nothing to do with playing defense most seasons.

Exactly this!

BonAppleTea

May 16, 2013
he's going to get Norris credit for this up coming season for his playoff run this last year?...

I don't think it works like that.

The NHL loves Karlsson, they have never stopped raving about him, especially when the playoffs happened. Burns did not get the same treatment in the media or with the NHL in general.

It does though. Media loves the narratives and the kind of hype he got probably will carry over to some extent.
Again, not saying it is how it should be but if the hockey media has taught us anything it is that hype is key.

Laineux

Aug 1, 2011
Well I think the narrative has shifted to Karlsson being "due" for one Norris, so he will win it next year if the race is somewhat close.

Iceman

Jun 9, 2014
Well I think the narrative has shifted to Karlsson being "due" for one Norris, so he will win it next year if the race is somewhat close.

If the voters realize what people perceive as a mistake then sure.

Rhaegar Targaryen

Jun 25, 2016
Karlsson was good in the playoffs but a lot of it was commented on by the press because he was playing well while being hurt.
People found out he was hurt because Karlsson told them he was hurt hmmm.... Sounds like someone likes the attention!

Everyone and their dog knew Karlsson was hurt before he confirmed it. Missing the final few weeks of the regular season and walking around in the playoffs limping may have given it away.

behemolari

Dec 1, 2011
i guess minnesota is happy

and yes burns is forward playing d, he even played a season as winger

Phil McKraken

Jul 13, 2010
Sweden
Karlsson and Burns are both forwards playing D.

The award criteria should be changed to simply award it to the Dman with the most points or something, because it has nothing to do with playing defense most seasons.

In some languages, defensemen are called "backs", which is what "defensemen" are. If just a linguistic difference can make your point moot, it has no depth.

The best defenseman is the one who makes the biggest difference for your team, period.

Saskatoon

Aug 24, 2006
Saskatoon
If you think Canadian writers would campaign for anyone but a Canadian, you are terribly naïve.

Karlsson plays on a Canadian team in the East and Burns plays in the Pacific Timezone which should counter most of the bias in the other direction.

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010

Wait... they found out he was hurt after the end of the first round when he told the media his broken bone should be healed by the start of the next round, and not when he missed the end of the reg season after sitting out the last half of a game because he ran feet first into the boards, or after watching him hobble around in the two games after blocking a shot in Philly?

Everyone knew he was hurt going into the playoffs, and frankly, I suspect he said he was all better going into the NYR series to try and throw them off the trail, as he clearly was not 100% as he claimed to be even though it had been 4+ weeks since the injury occurred (which is close to the typical healing time for a fracture in the foot).

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad