GDT: 151208 Sharks @ Flames (6pm, CSN-CA)

Bizz

2023 LTIR Loophole* Cup Champions
Oct 17, 2007
San Jose
I'm so pissed we don't have our 1st. Jones may not be the worst goalie ever but he was not worth the 1st. We could suck just fine with stalock and still have a pick next year

who cares? DW would just draft another bust like Setoguchi.

Pinkfloyd

Oct 29, 2006
Folsom
Who are your pick of the four legitimate forwards? I can foresee Pavelski being one of your four, but who's the other three?

Pavs, Marleau, Couture, and Thornton are the four legitimate top six forwards. Ward and Hertl are borderline at this point in terms of being legitimate. Hertl has played like it most of the time this year but he's not proven. Ward is the same. He played above his head to start the year and is now regressing to his mean so to speak right now.

hohosaregood

Banned
Sep 1, 2011
Devin Setoguchi
2005 round 1 #8 overall by San Jose Sharks

Timo Meier
2015 round 1 #9 overall by San Jose Sharks

Eek............

Well if history is really repeating itself then

Marc-Edouard Vlasic
2005 round 2 #35 overall by San Jose Sharks

Jeremy Roy
2015 round 2 #31 overall by San Jose Sharks

OrrNumber4

Jul 25, 2002
Devin Setoguchi
2005 round 1 #8 overall by San Jose Sharks

Timo Meier
2015 round 1 #9 overall by San Jose Sharks

Eek............

It hasn't even been a year since the draft. Already, you rush to place judgement? Already, you think the Meier pick is as bad as the Setoguchi pick?

Mattb124

Apr 29, 2011
It is sad that, in a road game where the opposing team's coach can line match, our 4th line was the most effective forward line.

Martin Jones pitched a worse game tonight (.786% sv) than Stalock did tonight versus the Lightening (.800%) when people were calling for his head. Maybe the issue at present is not the goalies?

BaileyMacTavish

Hockey lovin' wolf
Nov 8, 2010
San Jose
It hasn't even been a year since the draft. Already, you rush to place judgement? Already, you think the Meier pick is as bad as the Setoguchi pick?

I don't think that's what he's doing. He's just saying that we picked Setoguchi pretty high in that draft and Meier was drafted around the same position.

OrrNumber4

Jul 25, 2002
Calgary has kind of a disorganized defense and is a bit helter-skelter, but man, I love their offensive lineup. So many weapons, so many guys that can play so many different ways. Speed, passing ability, shooting ability, and stick skills run throughout their lineup. They are tough and can win board battles as well.

If they can get polished, get some structure, and get some more experience, they are going to be a deadly team going forwards.

Levie

Mar 15, 2011
Sharks fans have their own Godwin's law.

"As an argument progresses the likelihood of mentioning the Setoguchi/Kopitar draft increases exponentially.

OrrNumber4

Jul 25, 2002
It is sad that, in a road game where the opposing team's coach can line match, our 4th line was the most effective forward line.

Martin Jones pitched a worse game tonight (.786% sv) than Stalock did tonight versus the Lightening (.800%) when people were calling for his head. Maybe the issue at present is not the goalies?

I really can't fault Jones on any of the goals (even the no-goal).

Braun looked terrible today. Dillon was horrible in the offensive zone...my god, the play died on his stick every time he had the puck.

Mueller had some good looks, but hesitated and was too cautious in taking advantage.

Sharks fans have their own Godwin's law.

"As an argument progresses the likelihood of mentioning the Setoguchi/Kopitar draft increases exponentially.

And really, it is somewhat unfairly so. The reason this gets so much attention is because of the comments Tim Burke made about Kopitar, even though many people have said at many different times, never take anything Tim Burke says seriously, since he's always playing games and secretive with his opinions.

The Sharks have passed on plenty of good players in the draft. At least Setoguchi was parlayed into Burns....what about Kaspar, or Morris, or Goc?

And still, I wonder how Setoguchi would have developed in LA, and how Kopitar would in San Jose.

Nighthock

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Jul 25, 2007
Nevada
8bac7315c2439d3a22f9e13750f2bc3f2b30100373d9332c6ef8a346e3c4a38c_medium_animated

Mattb124

Apr 29, 2011
I really can't fault Jones on any of the goals (even the no-goal).

Braun looked terrible today. Dillon was horrible in the offensive zone...my god, the play died on his stick every time he had the puck.

Mueller had some good looks, but hesitated and was too cautious in taking advantage.

I am being sarcastic, but last game Stalock was crucified for not stopping a deflected puck shot from in close, a puck that was shot in from well behind him into an open net due to a defensive breakdown, and a goal that came when he stopped a partial breakaway but lost the rebound when no one covered him. Tonight Jones gave up at least 2 goals on unscreened shots. The salient point is the skaters are playing poor defense right now, and it doesn't matter which goalie is playing in front of them.

do0glas

Jan 26, 2012
Even though he isn't showing it in Calgary this year, I would've dealt a 1st for Hamilton and been good with it even if he struggled here to start. He's not the only one but I would've preferred that over Jones and Jones is certainly a good goalie.

we didnt have the pieces to get hamilton. he got traded for a 1st and two 2nds. if you are just moving our first you maybe land a young top 4 d, which would help us considerably, but jones has added points to the standings to my eye and the stats seem to back that up. so its hard to say which acquisition would be more valuable, but i know you are in the camp that you can get by with stellar defense and average tending. its not a wrong position just one extra body would not give this core of d man that ability.

but imo, jones looks like he could be a top 5-10 goalie in this league. so one 1st rounder for him seems like better management than three picks for hamilton, who i want quite a bit. we could all look like fools in a couple of years when it turns out hamilton was benefiting from playing on the bruins versus being a #1. both wouldve been an equal gamble.

and from what i have seen out of vlasic this year he looks like a number 1 two way D. PDB has loosened the reigns a bit and its helped him quite a bit. hes got 11 points and is a +6, if he keeps that pace thatll be a great year for him, probably even a career year but maybe it continues. its also interesting that he is scoring at a equal clip to burns at ES per 60 and is a million times better defensively.

but to me you have to have a really strong goaltender. we are never going to be chicago stacked or use a team defensive system like LA, but we could be a NYR or tampa style team and that would start with a goalie like jones.

Alwalys

Phu m.
May 19, 2010
The flashing lights they keep doing are gonna give me a seizure.

Makes me wonder, is it possible to play hockey as an epileptic?

Well, what were zonestarts like? When defense is a disaster, it's not uncommon for the coach to pull the better players back and start them in the D zone, while sheltering the bottom lines to the extent possible.

Jones had a play on at least 2 of the 3 goals, and he knows it too. He has had several stinkers this season but usually gets rolling eventually. Hopefully that can be chalked up to his rookieness.

What I noticed is he seems to suck when he doesn't play enough. It's time to play him on back to backs and see how he does.

I will say that once Couture gets back up to speed things will probably be a lot different. He definitely was not there yet but still made a lot of good plays with his brains and skill.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad