GDT: 151208 Sharks @ Flames (6pm, CSN-CA)

Fistfullofbeer

May 9, 2011
Whidbey Island, WA
The Pacific sucks this year. I still see all 3 Cal teams making the playoffs. But if we completely fall off and are not in playoff contention by the TDL, DW will probably start looking at trading/moving pieces.

Anomie2029

Oct 10, 2013
Melbourne, Australia
I don't think either need to be moved on. They can move on when they want but this team isn't built to be anything but inconsistent so I don't know what you're expecting.

I'm expecting what should have been done previously. Acknowledge that this 'core' is done, and rebuild.

Seriously, I would feel better being a Leafs fan this year. Their team is rubbish, but they are competing, and the signs of improvement are there.

The Sharks are a talented team who should be performing better than they are, but they float around.

stator

Apr 17, 2012
San Jose
I don't think either need to be moved on. They can move on when they want but this team isn't built to be anything but inconsistent so I don't know what you're expecting.

No serious rebuilding can be done without trading one or both, particularly considering Sharks don't have a 1st round draft pick.

Pinkfloyd

Oct 29, 2006
Folsom
Gotta think long term. Jones will be a star in this league.

Don't need a star in net. If they had dealt that 1st for a d-man, I would've been fine with it. I'm sure Jones will be a very good goalie in this league but value-wise, he wasn't worth it.

stator

Apr 17, 2012
San Jose
Don't need a star in net. If they had dealt that 1st for a d-man, I would've been fine with it. I'm sure Jones will be a very good goalie in this league but value-wise, he wasn't worth it.

Sharks don't need a star, but need a solid, reliable goalie which Stalock and Niemi have not been.

Pinkfloyd

Oct 29, 2006
Folsom
No serious rebuilding can be done without trading one or both, particularly considering Sharks don't have a 1st round draft pick.

Well, them not having their 1st isn't on Thornton and Marleau. Them not doing a serious rebuild isn't on Thornton and Marleau either. If they wanted to commit to a rebuild, they could have and maybe it pushes them to decide to leave. It's not Thornton and Marleau's job to pick a direction and go. That's Wilson's job.

The team can go in a legitimate rebuild with or without Thornton and Marleau.

drunksage

lol light beer
Jan 13, 2007
Hendertucky-ish
SNOG announcement

SNOG:
4-2 Flames
Monahan, Bennett, Hudler, Wideman
Not Joakim Ryan, Dillon

If you want a graphic with your new name, I'm gonna have to list it separately and not give you the lead in the SNOG standings. :naughty:

SNOG%202015-11-03_zpsgetxh9ud.jpg

Game|SNOG winner|Result
Oct. 7 at LA| CanadienShark | Sharks 5-1
Oct. 10 vs ANH| crzymexicanbeer | Sharks 2-0
Oct. 13 at WAS| none | Sharks 5-0
Oct. 16 at NJ| Painful Quandary, TheJuxtaposer | Sharks 2-1 SO
Oct. 17 at NYI| none | Islanders 6-3
Oct. 19 at NYR| none | Rangers 4-0
Oct. 22 vs LA| magic school bus | Kings 4-1
Oct. 24 vs CAR| SwolePatrol | Sharks 5-2
Oct. 28 vs NSH| none | Predators 2-1
Oct. 31 at DAL| none | Stars 5-3
Nov. 1 at COL| The Great John Scott | Sharks 4-3
Nov. 3 vs CBJ| Gerbefied* | Blue Jackets 5-2
Nov. 5 vs FLA| Eid Ma Clack Shaw | Sharks 5-2
Nov. 7 vs ANH| none | Ducks 1-0
Nov. 10 vs NYI| rangerssharks414, Ser Jorah Mormont | Islanders 4-2
Nov. 13 at DET| casubieowner | Sharks 3-2
Nov. 14 at BUF| Weastern Bias | Sharks 2-1 OT
Nov. 17 at BOS| none | Sharks 5-4
Nov. 19 at PHI| none | Sharks 1-0 OT
Nov. 21 at PIT| T0uGh C0oki3 | Sharks 3-1
Nov. 22 at CBJ| none | Sharks 5-3
Nov. 25 vs CHI| DuckEatinShark | Blackhawks 5-2
Nov. 28 vs CGY| Phu | Sharks 5-2
Dec. 1 vs PIT| none | Penguins 5-1
Dec. 4 at ANH| Sleepy | Ducks 1-0
Dec. 5 vs TB| none | Lightning 4-3
Dec. 8 at CGY| Gerbefied* | Flames 4-2

2015-16 Standings
---------------------
1) Gerbefied* (2)
T-2) CanadienShark, casubieowner, crzymexicanbeer, DuckEatinShark, Eid Ma Clack Shaw, magic school bus, Painful Quandary, rangerssharks414, Ser Jorah Mormont, Sleepy, SwolePatrol, TheJuxtaposer, The Great John Scott, Weastern Bias (1)

* aka Joakim Ryan

Episkey

Nitrox
Mar 12, 2013
California
If we are out of contention by the TDL, I'd hope Wilson does what's best for the team and sells to build for the future. But he probably knows he's on his last leg. And I don't know if he'll willingly do that while fighting for his job.

T0uGh C0oki3

Goodbye Jumbo Joe
Dec 19, 2014
Fire Wilson
Hire him as Head Scout
Hire New GM
Rebuild
Trade everybody except Vlasic and Hertl
Playoff contender in 2020

Anomie2029

Oct 10, 2013
Melbourne, Australia
Well, them not having their 1st isn't on Thornton and Marleau. Them not doing a serious rebuild isn't on Thornton and Marleau either. If they wanted to commit to a rebuild, they could have and maybe it pushes them to decide to leave. It's not Thornton and Marleau's job to pick a direction and go. That's Wilson's job.

I think you are mistaking my suggestion that they be moved on as a criticism of them? It's not. As I said, I'm a fan of both - but I really think DW is a **** for putting NMC in their contracts when it was pretty foreseeable that the club needed to move.

I don't think a successful rebuild can be done with them in the club unfortunately.

Pinkfloyd

Oct 29, 2006
Folsom
I'm expecting what should have been done previously. Acknowledge that this 'core' is done, and rebuild.

Seriously, I would feel better being a Leafs fan this year. Their team is rubbish, but they are competing, and the signs of improvement are there.

The Sharks are a talented team who should be performing better than they are, but they float around.

Um...The Sharks are not that talented. They have five legitimate goal scorers on their team and that's if you include Ward. They have little depth on the blue line. They have little depth scoring. They don't have elite goaltenders. Where exactly is this talent you speak of?

They perform exactly what they should be...a streaky and inconsistent team because they're not that good. That's something people just fail to acknowledge. This team is not that talented. They have four legitimate top six players and the rest of the forward group is littered with third line talent or worse. That's not a lot of talent. They have a decent top four when healthy and very little after that. Not a lot of talent.

do0glas

Jan 26, 2012

What d man would that be?

stator

Apr 17, 2012
San Jose

Not with that much tied up in salary.

Pinkfloyd

Oct 29, 2006
Folsom
What d man would that be?

Even though he isn't showing it in Calgary this year, I would've dealt a 1st for Hamilton and been good with it even if he struggled here to start. He's not the only one but I would've preferred that over Jones and Jones is certainly a good goalie.

stator

Apr 17, 2012
San Jose
They have four legitimate top six players and the rest of the forward group is littered with third line talent or worse.

Who are your pick of the four legitimate forwards? I can foresee Pavelski being one of your four, but who's the other three?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad