GDT: 151119 Sharks @ Flyers

IronMosher

I R Sharks Fan
Aug 5, 2003
Waddletown, PA
Visit site
Just got back from the game. The fans were in disbelief that the goal was in. My sister and I were laughing and hi fiving. All in all, it was a pretty ho-hum game. Haley tried to get a fight going, but there were no takers. I think I saw Vlassic on the 1st PP, he shouldn't be on the PP at all.

Jones looked great. Good positioning. Solid. I didn't have any worries about his game the whole time.

Marleau looked terrible in my opinion. At one point he had the puck around center ice, was not pressured, had two teammates on his right and just lazily passed it to the left boards and the Flyers came steaming back down the ice.

I know it's only one game of experience, but San Jose fans are much rowdier and much louder. It was cracking me up that Sharks fans brought big teeth to chomp. There seemed to be quite a few Sharks fans.

Sharks PP looked very weak to me. I mean, shoot the damn puck, only Burns was and from my angle, they had a lot of open lanes to shoot from and didn't. I think they maybe had one shot during the PP in OT, pretty sad.

Lastly, be glad you all have Jersey Joe's. I live in the land of cheesteaks now and still haven't had one as good as there. (I have yet to have a good pizza, Round Table is gourmet compared to the **** that passes for pizza out here).

Last edited by a moderator:

ScottyDont

Aug 30, 2010
Philly (<3 in SJ)
Just got back from the game. The fans were in disbelief that the goal was in. My sister and I were laughing and hi fiving. All in all, it was a pretty ho-hum game. Haley tried to get a fight going, but there were no takers. I think I saw Vlassic on the 1st PP, he shouldn't be on the PP at all.

I was at the game too. What section were you in? Yeah, the GWG was definitely so quick that everyone, including me, wasn't sure it was a goal.

I know it's only one game of experience, but San Jose fans are much rowdier and much louder. It was cracking me up that Sharks fans brought big teeth to chomp. There seemed to be quite a few Sharks fans.

I've been to a few Flyers/Sharks games. We're not rivals, we're not in the same conference. I don't think Flyer fans get hyped up for our games. The 0-0 tie the whole game didn't help anything. I saw those big teeth in the lower level. Brave fans to be poking the bear of Flyer fans :laugh:

Lastly, be glad you all have Jersey Joe's. I live in the land of cheesteaks now and still haven't had one as good as there. (I have yet to have a good pizza, Round Table is gourmet compared to the **** that passes for pizza out here).

If you want a good hoagie/sub in the Philly area, go to Primo's.

Bizz

2023 LTIR Loophole* Cup Champions
Oct 17, 2007
San Jose
Melker Karlsson has as many goals as Sidney Crosby while playing 14 fewer games. Crazy.

stator

Apr 17, 2012
San Jose
Outside of Martin Jones' performance, a lackluster effort by the Sharks until the OT. It should have never been that lopsided for SOGs and blocked shots. This is the Flyers we are talking about with the league's worse goal production (GF/G).

However, the 3 on 3 OT format would and did favor the Sharks. I like this format since it favors teams with speed and gas tanks, not the physical, face punching, checking and holding teams.

do0glas

Jan 26, 2012
The first period we had a forward dropping deep to receive the outlet. Then we sucked until the last part of the game where we did that again.

But it was a good road game. They had the zone time but rarely looked truly dangerous. Just wrist shots from the dots and a few grade A chances.

Jones with another shutout this year.

Pinkfloyd

Oct 29, 2006
Folsom
Outside of Martin Jones' performance, a lackluster effort by the Sharks until the OT. It should have never been that lopsided for SOGs and blocked shots. This is the Flyers we are talking about with the league's worse goal production (GF/G).

However, the 3 on 3 OT format would and did favor the Sharks. I like this format since it favors teams with speed and gas tanks, not the physical, face punching, checking and holding teams.

Being outshot doesn't mean the effort was lackluster. They were very good defensively throughout the game. Flyers are playing better these days and put up 38 shots against the Kings on Tuesday. You also can't expect the team to have their skating legs every game especially if the status quo for player usage is running three lines and five d-men in the 3rd period.

hockeyball

Nov 10, 2007
The first period we had a forward dropping deep to receive the outlet. Then we sucked until the last part of the game where we did that again.

But it was a good road game. They had the zone time but rarely looked truly dangerous. Just wrist shots from the dots and a few grade A chances.

Jones with another shutout this year.

Currently leads the league in shut-outs :P

He's certainly not the problem heh.

landshark

They'll paint the donkey teal if you pay.
Sponsor
Mar 15, 2003
outer richmond dist
Anyone else notice Pavelski's stick was white last night? Pretty sure that's not usual.

Haven't read the whole thread, just the last 2-3 pages. The white stick was weird because I kept thinking he didn't have a stick because it was the same color as the ice...

ScottyDont

Aug 30, 2010
Philly (<3 in SJ)
Anyone else notice Pavelski's stick was white last night? Pretty sure that's not usual.

Haven't read the whole thread, just the last 2-3 pages. The white stick was weird because I kept thinking he didn't have a stick because it was the same color as the ice...

Its been like that for a while ;)

hockeyball

Nov 10, 2007
Once Jones finds consistency to his game he's going to be one of the best goalies in the league.

yup, I am highly confident. He's going to have his bad games, but I am confident he's going to be a vezina candidate within a few seasons.

Alwalys

Phu m.
May 19, 2010

i think he runs the white stick often. https://www.google.com/search?q=joe...3J_JAhUPx2MKHWH-AfQQ_AUICCgC&biw=1366&bih=628

i have noticed it before

i wonder if it helps with defense. maybe it's hard to see it in the passing lane.

Juxtaposer

Outro: Divina Comedia
Dec 21, 2009
Bay Area
I love Pavs' white stick because it creates the illusion that he has the puck on a string. One of my favorite things to watch.

landshark

They'll paint the donkey teal if you pay.
Sponsor
Mar 15, 2003
outer richmond dist
Yeah, I was thinking for deflections it may be harder for the goalie to see there's a stick there. And yep, Jux, the puck on a string thing was straight blowing my mind. I'm like how is Pavs moving the puck w/o a stick... Guess I've never noticed it before.

IronMosher

I R Sharks Fan
Aug 5, 2003
Waddletown, PA
Visit site
I was at the game too. What section were you in? Yeah, the GWG was definitely so quick that everyone, including me, wasn't sure it was a goal.

I've been to a few Flyers/Sharks games. We're not rivals, we're not in the same conference. I don't think Flyer fans get hyped up for our games. The 0-0 tie the whole game didn't help anything. I saw those big teeth in the lower level. Brave fans to be poking the bear of Flyer fans :laugh:

If you want a good hoagie/sub in the Philly area, go to Primo's.

- I was in 124.
- Yeah, I know, it was one game. (Sharks fans are still better :naughty: )
- I went to John's Roast Pork ( a Flyers fan recommended) before the game. The cheesesteak was good but the toasted sesame bun was weird. Their James Beard Award winning pork roast sandwich was absolutely disgusting. One of the worst things ever in my mouth. The stuff the dentist rubs in your mouth before giving a shot tastes better.

SJSharksfan39

Oct 11, 2008
San Jose, CA
I like that Melker is showing he's no fluke. I've been enjoying him on the top line with the Joes and I'm glad he was rewarded last night.

Also nice goaltending from Jones. Overall, this has been a nice trip. I hope they at least split the remaining games this weekend (expect Pittsburgh to be a win since Columbus is always tough for some reason) and then I am going to the Blackhawks game on Wednesday. Really looking forward to seeing the Stanley Cup Champions in person.

stator

Apr 17, 2012
San Jose
The white sick is custom too because he uses a DT1 and they come in black http://www.totalhockey.com/search.aspx?keyword=warrior+dt1+stick and usually stick companies will want to their players in most current sticks.

Some players prefer a stick that is 3-4 years old and companies will stick the current "hot stick" paint job on it.

I think he switched over to the Covert QR1 not too long ago, from the DT1. He's mostly played white Warrior sticks that I can recall in recent seasons.

Marleau seems to switch between Dynasty HD1 and the DT1. I cannot recall him playing with any color other than black.

I like that Melker is showing he's no fluke. I've been enjoying him on the top line with the Joes and I'm glad he was rewarded last night.

Also nice goaltending from Jones. Overall, this has been a nice trip. I hope they at least split the remaining games this weekend (expect Pittsburgh to be a win since Columbus is always tough for some reason) and then I am going to the Blackhawks game on Wednesday. Really looking forward to seeing the Stanley Cup Champions in person.

DeBoer paid Melkman a compliment in his post-game interview. The video is up in the video section of the Sharks' website. DeBoer basically stated that Melker proved that he is a top 6 NHL forward, or something to that effect.

I kept the blackhawks and the following game from our season tickets. Hopefully, we'll enjoy a good game and the transplant Chicagoans won't get out of hand. ;)

Last edited:

Alwalys

Phu m.
May 19, 2010
oh i almost forgot, anyone notice thornton putting his stick in front of the goalie' eyes?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad