GDT: 151013 Sharks @ Capitals 4pm CSNCA

Timos Death Stare

Seek and Destroy
Aug 9, 2008
CA
My only criticism is that they played incredibly sloppy today in the third. For only having a 3 goal lead, I wasn't thrilled at it.

I always worry about these types of games - it's like they can sometimes make the team worse by not challenging them. It felt like the Sharks were a cat playing with a mouse batting it around. I just think it leads to bad habits and hope to see them get back on track with playing a full game.

It could have easily been a 3-2 or 3-3 game. Jones stood on his head multiple times.

With that said, I was very impressed with the Dzone's commitment to blocking shots. I was also impressed with our ability to roll 4 lines. I'm still of the opinion that Hertl needs a scoring winger other than Nieto and that Tierney is too talented for the 4th line but at this point I'm okay with it. Slotting Nieto down to the 4th would make a damn good 4th line of Nieto-Tierney-Goodrow/Smith/Brown

Pinkfloyd

Oct 29, 2006
Folsom
While they won't be able to play this system that effectively through the course of the season, they do have a schedule that isn't as demanding as in years past. They don't have that many extended road trips and they don't have that many back-to-backs that are close to one another.

Gene Parmesan

Dedicated to babies who came feet first
Jul 23, 2009
California
My only criticism is that they played incredibly sloppy today in the third. For only having a 3 goal lead, I wasn't thrilled at it.

I always worry about these types of games - it's like they can sometimes make the team worse by not challenging them. It felt like the Sharks were a cat playing with a mouse batting it around. I just think it leads to bad habits and hope to see them get back on track with playing a full game.

It could have easily been a 3-2 or 3-3 game. Jones stood on his head multiple times.

With that said, I was very impressed with the Dzone's commitment to blocking shots. I was also impressed with our ability to roll 4 lines. I'm still of the opinion that Hertl needs a scoring winger other than Nieto and that Tierney is too talented for the 4th line but at this point I'm okay with it. Slotting Nieto down to the 4th would make a damn good 4th line of Nieto-Tierney-Goodrow/Smith/Brown

They were looking gassed. I wouldn't worry about it. They should be acclimated by Friday.

Levie

Mar 15, 2011
I haven't paid attention to other teams but we have to have one of the best 4th lines in the league, no?

Regardless I think Tierney really helps Deboer's system since he's able to roll all lines much easier than TMac was. It's fun having a 4th line that actually creates energy rather than sucking it out of the team.

ChubbChubby

Using tilt controls!
Nov 28, 2009
San Francisco, CA
Early in the season is the best time to do it when it doesn't matter as much, especially against a team in the other conference. You can't play favorites and let these bad habits go.

KirbyDots

May 10, 2011
All this optimism... on the Sharks board!?!

1400962260689_zpsc6afd2e9.gif

stator

Apr 17, 2012
San Jose
Paul Martin is unbelievably good defensively and moves the puck very well on the breakout and rush. Plus, he's not a total liability offensively either. We all thought Vlasic was the premier defensive defenseman in the league but Martin is every bit as good so far. Yes, I didn't really notice his game while with other teams. So forgive me if this is all obvious.

Psst, it's Paul's partner that has been breaking up odd-man rushes single handily.

What's wrong with political science? (asks the poli sci Ph.D candidate and political science college instructor :popcorn: )

This:

Pinkfloyd

Oct 29, 2006
Folsom
Burns is terrible defensively, don't you know? He's so bad he shouldn't even be on the team, we should trade him for scraps. His offense is irrelevant.

Am I doing this right?

Not enough capital letters to convey your loud anger over this issue but the content is there.

weastern bias

worst team in the league
Feb 3, 2012
SJ
Honestly, that 3-on-1 doesn't occur if Burns isn't horribly positioned

He then drops to the ice with a blind sweeping poke check that happens to find the puck and send it the other way

You've never supposed to drop to the ice in the D zone as a D man, it removes you from the play*; and if that check misses Jones is all alone with 3 Caps players storming in

Everyone is getting excited about the result, but it was an ugly, sloppy, poorly executed defensive play by Burns that he barely escaped; more often than not we will get scored on in that situation

I've wanted to hold off on my assessments of players until they've played at least, like, 5 games, but so far Burns has been the same dumpster fire he was last year

Paul Martin, however, is basically the two best defensemen on the team

* To be fair, Burns was already removed from the play, so maybe the rules are a little malleable here

Boy Hedican

Homer Jr, friends call me Ho-Ju
Jul 12, 2006
Earff

He then drops to the ice with a blind sweeping poke check that happens to find the puck and send it the other way

You've never supposed to drop to the ice in the D zone as a D man, it removes you from the play*; and if that check misses Jones is all alone with 3 Caps players storming in

Everyone is getting excited about the result, but it was an ugly, sloppy, poorly executed defensive play by Burns that he barely escaped; more often than not we will get scored on in that situation

I've wanted to hold off on my assessments of players until they've played at least, like, 5 games, but so far Burns has been the same dumpster fire he was last year

* To be fair, Burns was already removed from the play, so maybe the rules are a little malleable here

** burns is also huge with a long, strong stick and can cover more ice laying down than most. Its a desperation play, sure. But Burns is sorta known for this move in his career on D (Ask Wild fans). He's pretty damn good at it. I think TMac and Co probably told him to never do that **** again. Maybe PDB is a bit more relaxed about it.

Pinkfloyd

Oct 29, 2006
Folsom

The never supposed to drop to the ice thing is demonstrably false but I'm not surprised at your slant on this. Burns did the right thing at the right time. It was a good defensive play. Deal with it. And no, Burns hasn't been a dumpster fire. You're just too much of a hater for your own good. In a 3 on 1, if you have the opportunity to take time, space, and passing options away from someone with the puck, you take the risk.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad