News Article: 15 Years Ago Today: The Tragic Death of Dmitri Tertyshny

FlyerFire

Feb 16, 2003
Visit site
I truly believe he had a chance to be special.He was a Russian and for the Flyers to put him in there was exceptional.Another tragedy in the long line

MiamiScreamingEagles

Global Moderator
Jan 17, 2004
Bill Meltzer has a mention of a player named Larry Mickey who committed suicide after his affiliation with hockey ended.

Today also marks the 32nd anniversary of the passing of former Flyers right winger Larry Mickey. Plagued for years with emotional and personal problems, Mickey's life was never the same again after a head-on car accident in 1967 claimed the life of his wife, Eleanor, and left him with relatively minor injuries. Hockey became Mickey's only solace. When his career ended, he became increasingly despondent and a personal downward spiral ended with him committing suicide.

http://www.hockeybuzz.com/blog.php?blogger_id=45

This New York Times article from 1982 is a worthy read:

http://www.nytimes.com/1982/09/08/sports/after-hockey-life-was-too-difficult.html?pagewanted=all

FlyerFire

Feb 16, 2003
Visit site
I'm not quite sure the younger Flyer fans here realize how much more improved the Flyers would have been without the untimely deaths of Pelle Lindbergh and Dmitri, as well as the injuries to Parent, Primeau, and Pronger just to name a few

Embiid

Off IR for now
May 27, 2010
Philadelphia
Tertyshny was definitely going to be good. I remember being stoked about the prospect of what he would bring to the Flyers. Unfortunately, for Dmitri, his family and Flyers fans the hope was extinguished with his tragic death. At some point for the Flyers, all these seminal tragedies have to reverse course. We deserve a string of good fortune eventually...

Sniped

Snowballs at Santa
Mar 13, 2013
Philly
I'm not quite sure the younger Flyer fans here realize how much more improved the Flyers would have been without the untimely deaths of Pelle Lindbergh and Dmitri, as well as the injuries to Parent, Primeau, and Pronger just to name a few

I can attest to this being that I'm only 20 years old and I will probably never have a true understanding of the how badly the Flyers were affected by these unfortunate events, with the exception of Pronger. Such a shame.

The Rage Kage

Apr 21, 2014
There was another good Russian defensive prospect on the boat. Can't remember his name but his play quickly regressed after the accident. Drozdetsky?

Yah I think I read somewhere he said he completely lost the will to play the game after it happened

The Rage Kage

Apr 21, 2014
One of the worst parts to think about is that he could still have been playing today. It's so sad that something like that would happen. Can't imagine how Belanger would feel.

NHLfreak1

Jan 6, 2014
I remember this very well, really tough day. He was a favorite of mine, I met him at the Flyers Wives carnival one year and have his autograph on a puck.

Larry44

#FireTortsNOW
Mar 1, 2002
To this day, every time I hear reference to the Titanic, I think of that stupid "King of the World" thing Dmitri was doing on the bow when he fell off. Hated that movie ever since.... RIP Dmitri.

zarley zelepukin

Oct 25, 2008
Norristown, PA
I was pretty young so I don't remember much about how he played the game, but I do remember that he had become one of my favorite players before the accident. Very sad.

FLYguy3911

Sanheim Lover
Oct 19, 2006
Back when I played at Rizzo Rink as a youngster I remember he and a couple other Flyers came one night to practice with us. Pretty cool.

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Chernov was still going as of last season. I don't know if he was ever a serious threat to become an NHL player, though, even at that time.

ugiswrong

Dec 8, 2005
deutschland
Yeah, that sucked. Terts. Christmas birthday, loved pizza. Liked to watch him cross over at the blueline. His grin when scoring against the coyotes i think it was was unbelievable. Went to that benefit game. Sad stuff.

daynus

Nov 25, 2002
Good Ole Saskatchewan
Visit site
you are missed buddy

my buddy from bc and myself, both huge flyers fans. so the summer following the tragic boating accident, my buddy says. he has a govt conference in kelowna for a week. and he gets a huge room in the okanagon grand. and this place is a s****y hotel. so he invites me to come down and stay at the grand for a week, free. so i go.

so 1 year after the boating accident, i say we need get the location and pay our respects. and we did.

Hockeypete49

How you like me now!
Mar 22, 2009
South Jersey
http://www.philly.com/philly/sports...gic_death_of_the_Flyers_Dmitri_Tertyshny.html

I basically remember this like it was yesterday, in less than a year, one pre-season even, Tertyshny quickly became my second favorite player after Brind'Amour. I was saving up to somehow buy his jersey the following season, and then I saw on the ESPN2 bottom line that he had died.

It was a sad day indeed. The sky was the limit for this young man and you had the feeling that in time he could have been special. God Bless and RIP.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad