15 years ago, The Comeback

Aug 25, 2009
éal

I didnt remeber it was Huet last win as a Habs. An impressive one.

KKWG11

Nov 25, 2017
Strange question was this an afternoon game? Was arguing with my brother about this a few weeks ago but couldn't find it any where online what time the game started

Gaylord Q Tinkledink

Apr 29, 2018
Strange question was this an afternoon game? Was arguing with my brother about this a few weeks ago but couldn't find it any where online what time the game started
I'm pretty sure it wwd an evening game as I remember coming back from a friend's place after seeing them getting trounced and on the way back it was like 5-3.

The potato quality stream I found froze as ot ended.

the

Mar 2, 2012
Montreal
Yeah and this great moment was ruined a decade later when the Rangers pulled the same comeback against Bergevin’s shit team.

expy

Nov 2, 2010
It was a night game.

Yeah and this great moment was ruined a decade later when the Rangers pulled the same comeback against Bergevin’s shit team.

They trailed by 4, we trailed by 5.

Michoulicious

Dec 9, 2014
I remember it very well. I was home listening to the game on the radio while studying for university.. I turned it off thinking it was obviously over. I remember then turning it on again when I saw online Montreal was 1 goal from tying it. I ran to the nearest bar in time for the OT and there I saw seeing Saku seal it in shootout. The mood was awesome, and a lot of the people there were guys that left and then came back.

Memorable game for sure.

Team_Spirit

95% Elliotte
Jul 3, 2002
Ryder Ryder Plekanec Ryder Kovalev

Koivu SO winner

IIRC

Yv29y07.jpg

Scintillating10

Jun 15, 2012
Nova Scotia

I remember Rangers did it to us a few years later.

Reactions: the

Bee Holder

Jul 3, 2017
Montreal
I remember. I was still young, in primary school. Was about 9 or 10 years-old. I loved the habs but seing the score, my parents had me off to bed as it was 4 to nothing for the Rangers. I didn't follow the news at that age (obviously) and no one had told me about the comeback so next day at school, at lunch time, I went to the same table in the cafeteria as me and my friends from other groups always did, talking about hockey.

I said (in french): " Well we got trounced last night, didn't we?"

And my friends all chuckled and told me what a comeback I had missed. I was mad.

Of course it was an evening game, it was also a game during the week. I'll never forget. I missed it, plain and simple.

P.S. Much later in my life my best friend did convince me to not show up to my work shift without notice (they were really fine without me) to go watch the game at our favorite sports bar in the Plateau. The Habs ended up beating the Avs 10-1, with Patio-ready scoring 4 goals, and I won 50$ at the lottery machine right after. No regrets at all. I didn't even came close to lose my job, and ended up resigning it on my own terms a few months later.

Seven7

Nov 26, 2021
I was there ! I remember the first period where everyone would throw shit on the ice, and they even asked us to stop and we wouldnt stop booing, it was pretty crazy.

Reactions: ChikN

RC51

Dec 10, 2005
mtl
Oh yes I remember this game. Yes the habs had the nhl best comeback game. Yes the habs got booed down 0-5 BUT THEN IT HAPPENED.
now for the real story. IT WAS THE FANS THAT DID IT ALL. Being down 5-0 the fans started standing ovations on any good hockey move be any hab. Over and over again 20-30 times. Ranger players looking up to the crowd over and over asking what the helll is going on. The habs after being down started to play like it was game7 of the cup final. Each hab playing at 120% non-stop, more standing ovations more comeback goals. Ranger players went into d-mode to protect the lead, but the habs were unstoppable attack and attack and attack again and the d and the goalie drawing the line NO MORE GOALS AGAINST it's a wall. WOW you just had to be their. No other fan base in the ENTIRE NHL ever did this for their team. This is what happened 15 years ago, I was their, " je me souviens "

Tyson

Mar 1, 2007
Texas
Oh yes I remember this game. Yes the habs had the nhl best comeback game.
now for the real story. IT WAS THE FANS THAT DID IT ALL. Being down 5-0 the fans started standing ovations on any good hockey move be any hab. Over and over again 20-30 times. Ranger players looking up to the crowd over and over asking what the helll is going on. The habs after being down started to play like it was game7 of the cup final. Each hab playing at 120% non-stop, more standing ovations more comeback goals. Ranger players went into d-mode to protect the lead, but the habs were unstoppable attack and attack and attack again and the d and the goalie drawing the line NO MORE GOALS AGAINST it's a wall. WOW you just had to be their. No other fan base in the ENTIRE NHL ever did this for their team. This is what happened 15 years ago, I was their, " je me souviens "
Ryder was clutch that night.
I won't forget that game.

Reactions: MarkovsKnee

MarkovsKnee

Global Moderator
Nov 21, 2007
Toronto
Yup, fantastic come back. I remember watching it. No idea why I didn't shut it off at 5-0, but I didn't.

The atmosphere was absolutely fantastic at the Bell Center.

badfish

Habs fan in ON
Sponsor
Nov 12, 2005
ON
If I remember correctly there was some questionable calls in the 2nd and the crowd went wild and littered the ice with debris?

Kimota

ROY DU NORD!!!
Nov 4, 2005
Les Plaines D'Abraham
Oh yes I remember this game. Yes the habs had the nhl best comeback game. Yes the habs got booed down 0-5 BUT THEN IT HAPPENED.

Brendan Shanahan said something like "there was something in air, I cannot pinpoint what it was, like it was innevitable and we couldn't stop it". I'll tell you what it was Brendan, it was Habs fans! lol

Habs magic, the team, the fans and the ghosts fusing together as one.

Kimota

ROY DU NORD!!!
Nov 4, 2005
Les Plaines D'Abraham

Really great article. I remember the first goal by Ryder and people cheering in an ironic way. I don't remember if it was at the second goal or third goal that the fans started cheering like crazy for the comeback. But something I had not remembered was the great hit by Komisarek on Sean Avery. And Komi getting a two minute for it for roughing. This is what made the fans break their chains, I think. lol

Reactions: De Montreal

the valiant effort

settle down, bud
Apr 17, 2017
I listened to the whole thing on the NHL.com RADIO link. I never bothered to keep a blowout on in the background like that, but there eventually was an inevitability in the air to the comeback. A combo of the “new NHL” still being a thing and the Habs closing in on 1st in the East with what we thought was the dawn of a perennial contender lol. It was a beautiful night.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad