Speculation: "15 or so" Teams Scouting NYI-CGY tonight

DropIt

Oct 21, 2009
Red Deer, AB
Not to mention scouts will usually go to watch a specific player or two but another player or prospect may catch their attention as well.

The eye test still trumps advanced stats 10/10

tigervixxxen

Optimism=Delusional
Jul 7, 2013
Denver
burgundy-review.com
Pretty much this. I wouldn't read too much into it. Its their job to be scouting games every night.

In a vacuum no it's not that interesting but when the same names keep popping up and more of the unusual variety is when it gets interesting. The O'Reilly trade was not a surprise to Avs fans because we knew Buffalo scouts had been hanging around all year. I correctly predicted the Avs would trade with New Jersey because they practically made it Claude Noel's job to follow the Avs and their AHL affiliate around. So it's more the patterns than just one night with a lot of scouts.

ACC1224

Super Elite, Passing ALL Tests since 2002
Aug 19, 2002
here is where I got to remind people

Rule 1 of scouting--you scout

there are only 2 games on tonight and one involves a NYC team and tomorrow you have Philly and Rangers at home respectively. When there are ten games on and I see 15+ scouts at a game then my radar goes off--but when there are just two games being played and one is a NY team--15 teams should be expected

You should let the guy at Newsday who sent out the message know that. Maybe he's new?

Haatley

haatley
Jun 9, 2011
Toronto
There were two games tonight. Both the Isles abd Flames need a shake up. Makes sense there were a lot of scouts there.

rhinoshawarma

Nov 15, 2014
I still don't understand why people are surprised that teams are scouting other.teams, let alone bottom teams. Lots of prep work to make good trade deadline deals, etc.

Its nice to know regardless, and when 15 teams show up to a game you know theres discussions between the isles and those teams and probably the flames as well. When theres smoke...

Both teams are struggling and you know they want to do something about it

Rich Nixon

No Prior Knowledge of "Flyers"
Jul 11, 2006
Key Biscayne
I think it's funny that people go "well, these teams are division rivals, but look at all the people who aren't!"

I mean the Flyers don't play the Islanders again until January (and they probably know them better than almost any other team in the league) or the Flames again until February. I don't think they're there to just really diligently prepare for those distant games.

ZiGOODejad

intangibles
Nov 30, 2013
Why be surprised the islanders are at the bottom of eh barrel of course they would be open to a trade

Kritty

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
Is it funny that teams spend so many resources to send a scout to a single game when they could just watch several old game tapes and run some advanced stats? I will never understand this. 1 game will always gives you the wrong conclusion about a player.

I have always felt this way as well. Surely one could make a shift by shift video of any given player over a span of games.

If a scout isn't actually in the building watching a player play then I don't want to hear his opinion. Game tape and stats are fine but they aren't the same as actually being there to watch a player.

Kritty

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
Not surprising, two bad teams

I disagree. Two underachieving teams, not bad. Just not playing well is a far cry from being a bad team. The Flames lack consistency, hence whey they win a few and look good and then go on a losing streak. With the lineup the Isles have, they should be winning more games as well.

THall4

Feb 25, 2014
Edmonton, AB
Columbus and Philadelphia are obviously division opponents but I don't think Tampa Bay plays NYI for the rest of the season. I'm sure Edmonton would like to upgrade wherever they can.

Two of five worst teams in the league playing tonight.

Interesting that the Oilers would be scouting...I assume the Islanders...not so much the Flames due to the whole "inter-division overpayment rule" and given the rivalry between the clubs.

Anyway, I assume they would likely be scouting a RW of a RHD from the Islanders. The only Islanders that would intrigue me would be Nelson, Hamonic, Leddy, Clutterbuck, Kulemin and maybe CDH

Bringing Chimmer home would be awesome as well for a vet presence/speed.

Number1RedWingsFan52

Mar 17, 2013
Winter Haven Florida
Columbus and Philadelphia are obviously division opponents but I don't think Tampa Bay plays NYI for the rest of the season. I'm sure Edmonton would like to upgrade wherever they can.

Two of five worst teams in the league playing tonight.

Would be curious if Detroit was one of the teams, I know Treliving was at the Detroit Montreal game in Montreal awhile back. Maybe could see Holland being interested in Hamilton though i don't know what Treliving would be seeking from us. Considering that Larkin is pretty much the only untouchable one here.

Abradolf Lincler

Emancipating your inferior genes
Nov 16, 2011
NC
Interesting that the Oilers would be scouting...I assume the Islanders...not so much the Flames due to the whole "inter-division overpayment rule" and given the rivalry between the clubs.

Anyway, I assume they would likely be scouting a RW of a RHD from the Islanders. The only Islanders that would intrigue me would be Nelson, Hamonic, Leddy, Clutterbuck, Kulemin and maybe CDH

Bringing Chimmer home would be awesome as well for a vet presence/speed.

You literally can have him for free, in fact I'll drive him to the airport for you.

East Coast Icestyle

Mar 6, 2015
Nova Scotia, Canada
Would be curious if Detroit was one of the teams, I know Treliving was at the Detroit Montreal game in Montreal awhile back. Maybe could see Holland being interested in Hamilton though i don't know what Treliving would be seeking from us. Considering that Larkin is pretty much the only untouchable one here.

Well we need long term defense so unless you have a crazy good d or d prospect to throw with something then you don't have anything appealing

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad