Speculation: "15 or so" Teams Scouting NYI-CGY tonight

seafoam

Soft Shock
Sponsor
May 17, 2011
Columbus and Philadelphia are obviously division opponents but I don't think Tampa Bay plays NYI for the rest of the season. I'm sure Edmonton would like to upgrade wherever they can.

Two of five worst teams in the league playing tonight.

seafoam

Soft Shock
Sponsor
May 17, 2011
I still don't understand why people are surprised that teams are scouting other.teams, let alone bottom teams. Lots of prep work to make good trade deadline deals, etc.

I apologize if posting a thread about scouts being listed at games is coming off as a surprise. Some people want to know, regardless if it's trade deadline scouting or not.

Sonny21

Registerd User
Oct 3, 2009
I apologize if posting a thread about scouts being listed at games is coming off as a surprise. Some people want to know, regardless if it's trade deadline scouting or not.

I like reading about these stuff. Would of liked to know if Leafs were among them :nod:

DJJones

Nov 18, 2014
Calgary
Seems weird so many teams would scout the Flames on the 6th road game in 9 days.

They look dead

Jumptheshark

Rebooting myself
Oct 12, 2003
Somewhere on Uranus
Columbus and Philadelphia are obviously division opponents but I don't think Tampa Bay plays NYI for the rest of the season. I'm sure Edmonton would like to upgrade wherever they can.

Two of five worst teams in the league playing tonight.

here is where I got to remind people

Rule 1 of scouting--you scout

there are only 2 games on tonight and one involves a NYC team and tomorrow you have Philly and Rangers at home respectively. When there are ten games on and I see 15+ scouts at a game then my radar goes off--but when there are just two games being played and one is a NY team--15 teams should be expected

seafoam

Soft Shock
Sponsor
May 17, 2011

there are only 2 games on tonight and one involves a NYC team and tomorrow you have Philly and Rangers at home respectively. When there are ten games on and I see 15+ scouts at a game then my radar goes off--but when there are just two games being played and one is a NY team--15 teams should be expected

People like knowing who scouts who regardless of the situation.

McFlyingV

Feb 22, 2013
Edmonton, Alberta

Pretty much this. I wouldn't read too much into it. Its their job to be scouting games every night.

Jumptheshark

Rebooting myself
Oct 12, 2003
Somewhere on Uranus

FYI

At games there is always between 5 to 10 scouts at games. On nights like tonight when there are just two games being played you will have more

IF tomorrow when the Devils play the jets if there is 15 scouts at the game--then that mean something. As there are 12 games on there are more games to scout.

Without searching twitter for the list--here are my predictions about the other scouts in attendance tonight(well the teams they are from)

Ptts, WAsh, Detroit, TO, Philly, Devils, Rangers, Avs, Oilers, Canes, Boston, Dallas

when you get a final list see how many of the above teams were represented today.

2 games on--reading too much into scouts at a game in NYC

wgknestrick

Aug 14, 2012
Is it funny that teams spend so many resources to send a scout to a single game when they could just watch several old game tapes and run some advanced stats? I will never understand this. 1 game will always gives you the wrong conclusion about a player.

SI90

Jul 25, 2011
StrongIsland
Is it funny that teams spend so many resources to send a scout to a single game when they could just watch several old game tapes and run some advanced stats? I will never understand this. 1 game will always gives you the wrong conclusion about a player.

I have always felt this way as well. Surely one could make a shift by shift video of any given player over a span of games.

Backlund

Dec 29, 2009
Calgary, AB

You realize teams are owned by billionaires right? And what makes you assume they base their opinion on the one game they're going to watch? Every scout should be watching tape, looking at stats and watching them play in person.

Archangel

Oct 15, 2011
Vancouver

This is easy to explain. Scouts just do not watch the action, they watch what the players are doing away from the play and they watch what the coaches do while the game is in play, who they talk to and what happens when that player goes over the boards to play.

Emerald Duck

Dec 9, 2009
Arrowhead Pond of Anaheim, CA
FYI

Without searching twitter for the list--here are my predictions about the other scouts in attendance tonight(well the teams they are from)

Pitts, Wash, Detroit, TO, Philly, Devils, Rangers, Avs, Oilers, Canes, Boston, Dallas

when you get a final list see how many of the above teams were represented today.

2 games on--reading too much into scouts at a game in NYC

9 of the 12 teams are a 60-90 min flight (or a bus/train ride) from New York.

For these scouts on a slow NHL game night, tonight is just "Date Night" in NYC :sarcasm:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad