GDT: #15 New York Islanders @ Washington Capitals | November 5th | 7:00PM | F/L 6-2

leeroggy

Jan 3, 2010
I just feel like something has got to be done. We need to bring in dman and I don't want to see nelson or strome being traded

What exactly makes Nelson untouchable? He is not Strome or Reinhart yet as far as being off limits in my book. Would we really not trade for a Yandle if the price were Nelson? Come on. Or if Nelson and our 1st last draft netted us Schneider or Bernier? Maybe his reduced TOI was because he wasn't as effective in the early games as some made him out to be?

Not that I'm happy with Capuano's use of him either, but even when playing more in the first five games he didn't show THAT much.

BaileyToOkposo

Feb 2, 2009
Long Island
What exactly makes Nelson untouchable? He is not Strome or Reinhart yet as far as being off limits in my book. Would we really not trade for a Yandle if the price were Nelson? Come on. Or if Nelson and our 1st last draft netted us Schneider or Bernier? Maybe his reduced TOI was because he wasn't as effective in the early games as some made him out to be?

Not that I'm happy with Capuano's use of him either, but even when playing more in the first five games he didn't show THAT much.

Yeah if we can get something amazing I'd do it. But Nelson is one of our top prospects. He dominated the AHL last year and now he's playing on our 4th line. What's the point of him being up than? Cap sure knows how to help our young guys...
How is he suppose to prove himself on the 4th line. Haven't we learned from nino

stranger34

Mar 6, 2007
Nassau County
PMB and PR taking spots from Nelson, strome and whoever else might warrant a look is dumb. I supported it in camp but they've gotten a dedicated look for a month and aren't adding anything to the present or future of this club.

MaryChristine*

Agreed, if a goalie has success against certain teams, why not roll with it. Also, I was worried about Poulin getting buried by the Capitals and his confidence being crushed. Let Poulin play the next game.

So you are worried about poulin getting destroyed by the caps but not the bruins? Unfortunately this coach has the same lame thought process you do. There was no excuse for starting nabby. Capuano doesn't trust youth. For that reason alone he should be fired.

MaryChristine*

We are not trading nelson. Don't be a bonehead. Capuano is mismanaging talent on this team and that shouldn't make you eager to trade it away. Hope for a replacement for cappy to come along

MaryChristine*

Honestly, I don't even bother anymore. He can't even inspire his team, how can he possible inspire us to believe his nonsense.

How true. It seems like Capuano has completely lost the teams respect and they dont trust his decision making. Its over for him.

bigd

Jul 27, 2003
How true. It seems like Capuano has completely lost the teams respect and they dont trust his decision making. Its over for him.
It may seem like that to you but I doubt the players have lost respect for Cap. He's a players coach and that may be his downfall.

BTrotts19

May 17, 2013
LI, NY
We are not trading nelson. Don't be a bonehead. Capuano is mismanaging talent on this team and that shouldn't make you eager to trade it away. Hope for a replacement for cappy to come along

Depending on the deal, none of the prospects are untouchable including Strome or Reinhart. We all think are propsects are unbelievable talents but if we got a young top 3 forward or top 2 defenseman and they wanted either Strome or Reinhart, I would have to consider it. Young (or fairly young) and proven in the NHL trumps "promise" of a prospect.

Talain

Mar 7, 2007

Not even for someone like Keith Yandle? I don't see them actually moving him, but if the right deal came along I wouldn't be completely opposed to it. That said it would have to be a VERY good deal for us.

The only prospects I would consider to be completely untouchable are Strome and Reinhart.

Barz1

Oct 22, 2011
Didn't get to post this last night, but Jack's postgame comments killed me--- he didn't think they played that poorly??? It just came down to special teams??? Cappy, did you ever stop and think that the reason for most of the penalties that are called against a team are due to laziness, and poor play???

And Peter--- if you are going to interview him, be a man, and ask how he felt about his goaltending!!!

xIsle

Oct 24, 2006
Montreal
It doesn't take much to tell that Nelson has talent and lacks confidence. Same with Donovan. Not all players will "get it" at the same time, some take longer, some are good right away.

You have to put players in positions to succeed.

Streit was not very good last year. He was awful, especially defensively. But he got to play where he was most effective - the PP. Capuano's taken Donovan's core strength and muzzled it. To compound the problem, he's using Donovan with a partner, in situations, where he's most likely to fail. Nice job.

Same with Brock Nelson. There are very few people in hockey that would have three identical players on the same line together. Bailey-Nielsen-Bouchard. Three small-ish players, pass-first, not overly physical. Is his job to ensure PMB is "worth" the $2MM Snow shelled out for him?

Adding a big winger, who's talented offensively, who can work the boards and drive the net, who has an actual SHOT (PMB has one of the worst shots I've seen in hockey, since Brett Lindros who may be the only player to make the NHL without being able to raise the puck off the ice).

Again. Set-up to fail.

Why have these promising guys on the team if you aren't going to develop them?

This isn't the same as trotting out Bailey with Comeau/Sim - these guys have a chance to play with some really good players.

Tonight's loss was just a poor effort, filled with key mistakes and a Caps team that had a hot night on the PP. Lineup tweaks wouldn't have changed the result. But it's still frustrating as hell, compounded after a loss.

The Isles had some serious breakdowns tonight, the Caps PP was on fire, this was just a bad game. Al Arbour couldn't have coached his way out of tonight's game. It happens.

But Capuano frustrates me to no end. Grabner played NINE MINUTES? Brock Nelson 8. PMB 14. MacDonald 26. Donovan 12.

His icetime distribution makes zero sense. He overplays Tavares-Vanek-Okposo, which is understandable, because they are the #1 line and they create a lot of offense. But then, why not do something with the second line? Why not replace PMB with Grabs? Who gives you the best chance to score?

Carkner doesn't play much, but seems to be out there at critical times.

Why is AMAC on the (1 for the last 16) PP? what can he possibly see in AMAC's game to warrant PP time? ESPECIALLY when he's leaned on so heavily with Visnovsky injured.

Why is the 2nd PP unit made up with Regin and Clutterbuck? No Grabner?

Why not mix things up when the team is flat? at least TRY to impact a game. Don't just lay there at take it.
Great post RedBull!

Me too, there is plenty of things that infuriates me. Why is Grabner never play on the power play? And why a coach can be stupid enough to use Regin or Clutterbuck instead of him?? What Regin has done to deserve time on the power play? The guy has 1 goal in his last 42 games!! And you use him on the power play?? Instead of Grabner who had scored 72 goals since he's an islander (for an average of 28 goals a season)
It has zero sense!

Another thing that bothers me: his inability to develop youngsters. He is simply incapable of instilling confidence, being himself a coward coach! He's always seem afraid. Afraid to play his youth, Afraid to play Poulin, Afraid to make line change, Afraid to take a time out and so on!

A good coach will among other things, instil in his players to be fearless. Can we really imagine Capuano teach them that?

To me Brock Nelson is a fine example of mismanagement by JacK Capuano. Again. Just like David Ullstrom last year.

And than I look at the Habs. I see Michael Bournival, who is less talented than Nelson, but already has four goals and played an average of 16 minutes per game. Go figure.

Therrien is not afraid to play the youngsters. Last season it was Gallagher. That is to develop young players: it's to play them and especially do not be afraid to do it!

Sheva7

Work Hahd Play Smaht
Oct 11, 2011
Great post RedBull!

Me too, there is plenty of things that infuriates me. Why is Grabner never play on the power play? And why a coach can be stupid enough to use Regin or Clutterbuck instead of him?? What Regin has done to deserve time on the power play? The guy has 1 goal in his last 42 games!! And you use him on the power play?? Instead of Grabner who had scored 72 goals since he's an islander (for an average of 28 goals a season)
It has zero sense!

Another thing that bothers me: his inability to develop youngsters. He is simply incapable of instilling confidence, being himself a coward coach! He's always seem afraid. Afraid to play his youth, Afraid to play Poulin, Afraid to make line change, Afraid to take a time out and so on!

A good coach will among other things, instil in his players to be fearless. Can we really imagine Capuano teach them that?

To me Brock Nelson is a fine example of mismanagement by JacK Capuano. Again. Just like David Ullstrom last year.

And than I look at the Habs. I see Michael Bournival, who is less talented than Nelson, but already has four goals and played an average of 16 minutes per game. Go figure.

Therrien is not afraid to play the youngsters. Last season it was Gallagher. That is to develop young players: it's to play them and especially do not be afraid to do it!

I'll take it a step further and say Cappy is even holding back JT.

2 seasons ago JT was a dominant force that made things happen literally everytime he stepped on the ice. He played loose and was brimming with confidence. He was the best player on the ice in 99.9% of the games he played in that 2011-2012 season.
I wanna know what happened to that player.

I know JT is still great. And I know he was a Heart trophy nominee last year. But to me, he hasn't been the same player from 2 years ago, fresh into Cappy's tenure.

Maybe he just had a good year?

Maybe I'm overreacting and should shut up lol? I dunno?

Or maybe it's all part of the Crapuano effect?

I wouldn't doubt it. He really doesn't seem like much of a motivator.

It's already obvious he isn't getting the best out of Grabner, Bailey and most of the other guys....so would it be wrong to assume Cappy is why JT hasn't been able to hit that extra gear?

Last edited:

A Pointed Stick

No Idea About The Future
Dec 23, 2010
Yeah we need him back very bad

What we need more is for management to own up to not having defensive prospects ready to support the forwards, and go out and fix the defense so the loss of one defenseman doesn't cripple the entire blue line. That is what we need more than anything else.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad