Golf: 148th Open Championship

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Has to be tough for Rory since the R&A brought the tournament to Northern Ireland for him.

Reactions: MrFunnyWobbl

Pavel Buchnevich

Drury and Laviolette Must Go
Dec 8, 2013
New York
It really is, but it's kind of riveting.

The guy plain does not care for golf, he only plays to win majors lol, it's both amazing and infuriating.

I'm hoping he'll go away. I can't imagine he would be so good that he could not practice all year, practice for a week before each major, and be the best player in the field. Is he that talented? That would be a TW-level talent.

I honestly don't know, but I'm thinking that he's hit a great patch of form, and he'll eventually back up. Just my opinion, but the only area of his talent that looks extremely good is the driving. He's an elite driver during the majors. Long and straight. The rest looks good, but susceptible to not holding up, especially without regular practice.

Reactions: Cody Webster

Pavel Buchnevich

Dec 8, 2013
New York
Tiger is imploding

The layoff is showing its head

I don't know if this is being too pessimistic, but I think I'm less optimistic about his long-term future in the game after this year than when the year started. And he won a major, so that sounds crazy, but the extremely limited schedule, having a crazy prep routine to ready his back for tournaments, and showing up at some tournaments moving gingerly because of the back.

How many years does he want to play with the back injury and can he contend as often as he did?

Elvis P

You ain't nothin but a hound dog
Dec 10, 2007
Graceland
Glad I get the Golf Channel. I like the name British Open better. It's the setting that makes it special. This and the US Open are my 2 favorite majors.

Cody Webster

Jul 18, 2014
I don't know if this is being too pessimistic, but I think I'm less optimistic about his long-term future in the game after this year than when the year started. And he won a major, so that sounds crazy, but the extremely limited schedule, having a crazy prep routine to ready his back for tournaments, and showing up at some tournaments moving gingerly because of the back.

How many years does he want to play with the back injury and can he contend as often as he did?
He's definitely hurt, there's no denying it. I doubt he plays the rest of this year after he misses the cut here this weekend

Just your standard 39-29 for Fox

Jan 3, 2012

This. The guy is playing on borrowed time. His body is shot. He can't even play when it is cold and uncomfortable. Needs every event to be warm and sunny. I just hope he doesn't have another injury and his QOL after he fully retires gets harmed.

Pavel Buchnevich

Dec 8, 2013
New York
After watching a round of this course, I think this course is one of the better ones in the Open rota. The way that the holes are set up to be difficult by naturally using the land is outstanding.

I don’t like St. Andrews. It’s historic and all, but sucks aside from that. If it wasn’t historic and didn’t produce great winners, it would be the worst course in the rota.

Lytham, Troon, Hoylake are all perpetually very low rated.

St. George’s is the controversial course. It gets a really bad reputation hosting the Open, but all the reviews say it’s actually a much better course than how it’s perceived. Maybe they’ve just had some bad luck. I’ll watch closely next year. Birkdale is unspectacular, but gets marks as the fairest links in the rota and a good test of who the best is on any given week.

Turnberry has the most dramatic views, and has produced some of golf’s greatest moments. We haven’t seen it in 10 years, so I may be underrating it.

I like Carnoustie because it’s usually difficult, and if you get wind off the left, some of the tee shots are borderline impossible. The rest of the course is pretty average, but I don’t mind that.

Muirfield is the clear best course in the rota, in my opinion. It’s very well routed, the weather can be a mess, the holes are almost all very strong and it produces great champions.

1. Muirfield
2. Portrush
3. Carnoustie
4. Turnberry
5. Birkdale
6. St. George’s
7. St. Andrews
8. Troon
9. Hoylake
10. Lytham

The ones I’m not sure about in these rankings are Portrush, St. George’s and Turnberry.

Pavel Buchnevich

Dec 8, 2013
New York
My Rahm pick isn’t looking too bad. I didn’t watch the morning wave, but I thought he played the best golf of the afternoon wave. He was striping it off the tee, but leaked a few coming in due to some really bad irons and wedges.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad