Golf: 148th Open Championship

Pavel Buchnevich

Drury and Laviolette Must Go
Dec 8, 2013
New York
The R&A is clearly posturing with their selection of the 2022 venue. It almost certainly has to be Scotland, but it won’t be St. Andrews or Carnoustie, and I think they’d want to avoid Troon because it would only be eight years since Troon last hosted.

That leaves Turnberry and Muirfield, but there’s conflict with hosting at either course for the R&A. Turnberry is owned by Trump, and they’ve tried to avoid any political statements on the owner of one of their courses in the rota being the President of another country. They also had a falling out with Muirfield over their no-women membership. They were temporarily kicked out of the rota until they recently changed the policy.

I think they are waiting until after the 2020 US election to announce. Their decision probably becomes a lot easier, if Trump isn’t re-elected. Turnberry is up in the rota. If he is re-elected, I can see Turnberry being skipped and they choose between Muirfield and Troon. I’d guess Muirfield because that would make a lot more sense, but if Muirfield is really on the outs with the R&A leadership, it could be Troon.

I guess they could kick the decision down the road a year and select Lytham for 2022, and that decision is for 2023, but that would be 4 out of 5 years outside Scotland, and Scotland has half of the 10 courses in the rota, which could create future scheduling problems.

Very political situation that the R&A is going to have to sort out.

Jan 3, 2012
looks like a course where u can have a great round going and then make a triple on one hole and its all for nuffin

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad