GDT: 141030 - Sharks @ Wild 5pm CSNCA

Alwalys

Phu m.
May 19, 2010
When are you ever optimistic about the Sharks? I'm willing to let them practice as a team before making my mind up about what they can't change.

The roster has some improving to do as well (as it stands).

This is the first I got to watch Goodrow, that kid is good!

hohosaregood

Banned
Sep 1, 2011
The roster has some improving to do as well (as it stands).

Rookie forwards are playing strong games. I think the forward depth is fine as is except for whatever it is Hertl is doing. 4th line might be fine. They seem okay when they don't have a goon.

Defense could be better though. Vlasic and Braun still doing their thing and that's great. Mueller-Burns are still gelling but Burns has been a monster and Mueller seems like a quick study. Demers seems--to me at least--like he's back on track but that's kind of iffy to say especially when he gets stuck with carrying one of Hannan or Irwin.

I'd say only glaring hole is that defenseman and rookie forwards and Hertl are of concern but not critical problems at the moment.

drunksage

lol light beer
Jan 13, 2007
Hendertucky-ish
Shark Byte airing now. Aside from the whole Drew thing, I'm disappointed that Brodie appears to be filming just in the studio, not at the Tank.

Gene Parmesan

Dedicated to babies who came feet first
Jul 23, 2009
California
Rookie forwards are playing strong games. I think the forward depth is fine as is except for whatever it is Hertl is doing. 4th line might be fine. They seem okay when they don't have a goon.

Defense could be better though. Vlasic and Braun still doing their thing and that's great. Mueller-Burns are still gelling but Burns has been a monster and Mueller seems like a quick study. Demers seems--to me at least--like he's back on track but that's kind of iffy to say especially when he gets stuck with carrying one of Hannan or Irwin.

I'd say only glaring hole is that defenseman and rookie forwards and Hertl are of concern but not critical problems at the moment.

I don't think Braun has been as sturdy as he has been in the past. He's making some uncharacteristic mistakes.

Alwalys

Phu m.
May 19, 2010

I mean that there are players coming back that are better than players that are playing, which bodes well.

do0glas

Jan 26, 2012
I like that we had a 4th line that could play in the third. I still feel like for whatever reason we suck at faceoffs which is impacting our ability to generate offense.

hohosaregood

Banned
Sep 1, 2011
I don't think Braun has been as sturdy as he has been in the past. He's making some uncharacteristic mistakes.

I kind of get the feeling Braun and Vlasic are experimenting seeing how far they can get away with making risky plays in the offensive zone. I see them jumping up in the play a lot so far this year.

Gene Parmesan

Jul 23, 2009
California
I like that we had a 4th line that could play in the third. I still feel like for whatever reason we suck at faceoffs which is impacting our ability to generate offense.

It does. The first period I thought the Sharks were recovering pucks and winning 50/50 battles to make up for the face off deficit. They wore down and started winning those less frequently. The goals against were mental mistakes. The Wild had a lot of zone time but it reminded me of when the Sharks would throw pucks at the net and pile up an inflated shot count.

Pinkfloyd

Oct 29, 2006
Folsom
I kind of get the feeling Braun and Vlasic are experimenting seeing how far they can get away with making risky plays in the offensive zone. I see them jumping up in the play a lot so far this year.

They are but that's not out of the norm for either guy early on in recent years. The true question is when it starts getting later in the year and the theme from the coaches is mostly revolving around safe plays. D-men jumping in on offense is what is sorely needed in the playoffs for this team because it creates odd-man rushes and creates space in the attacking zone and possible outman situations down low. It's risky but it's what scores in the playoffs when the collapse is in full force.

Gene Parmesan

Jul 23, 2009
California
They are but that's not out of the norm for either guy early on in recent years. The true question is when it starts getting later in the year and the theme from the coaches is mostly revolving around safe plays. D-men jumping in on offense is what is sorely needed in the playoffs for this team because it creates odd-man rushes and creates space in the attacking zone and possible outman situations down low. It's risky but it's what scores in the playoffs when the collapse is in full force.

Except the coaches have constantly urged them to be aggressive. They just have to pick the right spots and be consistent with it.

Coily

Gettin' Jiggy with it
Oct 8, 2008
Redlands
So, will the league send the Sharks an apology note for their stupid ref, like the nfl does?

I wish they had the MLB system where the ump(ref) doesn't have the last word. It's all the review panel.

But, it's pointless. Because they'll never change.

glasgow26

Jul 17, 2007
San Francisco
How did Goodrow look?

I thought he had a strong game. He's a much faster skater than I realized and he was definitely creating scoring chances. He got outworked along the boards a few times but he seems to have good hockey sense and he knows where to be on the ice.

I don't see much offensive upside in him but he has all the makings of a solid bottom six winger. Definitely appears to be an upgrade over McGinn.

Overall I think our forwards have been playing well. Hertl and Burish are the only two who have stuck out in a negative way for me. I don't know if Hertl is playing injured but that's kind of what it looks like. He's not skating hard out there and hasn't been engaged physically at all. Looks lazy and lethargic when the puck isn't on his stick.

nickschultzfan

Jan 7, 2009
yeah the ref blew it, clearly burns' contact had nothing to do with the puck going in.
Not to throw a gasoline on the fire, but (1) not true and (2) that's why charging into a goalie can backfire. Goalies not are catchers at home plate.

At the end of the day, Sharks had the puck luck for the Wild to score an own goal, which got the Sharks an extra point.

stator

Apr 17, 2012
San Jose
I thought the Sharks were outplayed both ways. Wild were speedier, more coordinated with their cycling down-low, and more aggressive as well.

The game reminded me of the Blues several years ago when they were strong against the Sharks. It was like going back 3 or 4 years ago.

Most glaring issue is Toronto doing video review for goalie contact which is not allowed in the rules. TMac kept his cool, but eluded that in his post-game interview.

I like Thornton's attempt to take Koivu out of the SO, but he did not bite.

do0glas

Jan 26, 2012
Not to throw a gasoline on the fire, but (1) not true and (2) that's why charging into a goalie can backfire. Goalies not are catchers at home plate.

At the end of the day, Sharks had the puck luck for the Wild to score an own goal, which got the Sharks an extra point.

Sure but we also had another disallowed early in the game and had around 30 shots which is league average ish. So it's not like we put up 3 goals on 18 shots. You guys had some great zone time though.

The Ice Hockey Dude

Ack! Thbbft!
Jul 18, 2003
Lost in the SW!
I thought he had a strong game. He's a much faster skater than I realized and he was definitely creating scoring chances. He got outworked along the boards a few times but he seems to have good hockey sense and he knows where to be on the ice.

I don't see much offensive upside in him but he has all the makings of a solid bottom six winger. Definitely appears to be an upgrade over McGinn.

Overall I think our forwards have been playing well. Hertl and Burish are the only two who have stuck out in a negative way for me. I don't know if Hertl is playing injured but that's kind of what it looks like. He's not skating hard out there and hasn't been engaged physically at all. Looks lazy and lethargic when the puck isn't on his stick.

thanks.

from what i've see of Hertl this season i have to agree.

Burish is more of a is what it is player to me, my expectations are low on him.

one2gamble

Dec 24, 2007
Missed the first waived off goal, but I was fine with the explanation for disallowing Burns'. What a power move by Burns though.

I was ok with the Demers goal getting waived off, I have seen it called both ways but there is no standard for how long a goalie should get to recover from contact before its ok to score.

The OT goal should have counted.

tahoesharksfan

Old-Timer
Apr 29, 2014
The Lake
First loss of the year where we didn't beat ourselves (although Dem Wildes had some help from the refs).
Great show of potential in the rooks, Muels, Tierney and especially Goody. Still waiting for Toemash to find his game again.
Got to extend first period play all the way through and stop giving away things in the later stages of the game...

Quid Pro Clowe

Dec 28, 2008

The puck snuck through Kuemper's arm pit and into the net before contact was made.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad