GDT: 141030 - Sharks @ Wild 5pm CSNCA

boylerroom

Jan 2, 2012
PRofKA
I can see it now:

After another 2-3 goal lead blown in late Feb.... "OMG look at all thez peoples panicking over this team. I mean it's only game 75 in the season!!"

This team just doesn't have the roster, leadership, or STONES to play any kind of a consistent 60 min game. Yeah, we all love the Sharks, but wake up yall this team isn't going anywhere as is.

SJeasy

Feb 3, 2005
San Jose
The puck snuck through Kuemper's arm pit and into the net before contact was made.

That's not the criteria for the call. Did the Sharks' player get into the blue paint without being pushed in? If he was pushed, would his initial momentum have carried him in anyway? If the players complain about it and don't change their play, then it will happen again. They need to understand the rule, "stay out of the blue".

Wingels is a frequent violator (not always caught). JT, Marleau and Pavs have learned how to stay just outside consistently.

Quid Pro Clowe

Dec 28, 2008
I don't think anyone expects this team to go far, as is.

I don't like the officials explaination last night. He said the call stand, and that contact was made with the goalie. That's subjective to start, but ll he should of said is that it stands because it's not a reviewable play. Instead, it seemed like his platform to justify his judgement call.

It's cool. The same official will allow Tavares to shove Stalock and the puck over the line and will call it a good goal.

Quid Pro Clowe

Dec 28, 2008
That's not the criteria for the call. Did the Sharks' player get into the blue paint without being pushed in? If he was pushed, would his initial momentum have carried him in anyway? If the players complain about it and don't change their play, then it will happen again. They need to understand the rule, "stay out of the blue".

Wingels is a frequent violator (not always caught). JT, Marleau and Pavs have learned how to stay just outside consistently.

The ref specifically said it didn't count because contact with Kuemper. That doesn't mean a player can't be in the blue. This isn't 1998.

Gene Parmesan

Dedicated to babies who came feet first
Jul 23, 2009
California
I can see it now:

After another 2-3 goal lead blown in late Feb.... "OMG look at all thez peoples panicking over this team. I mean it's only game 75 in the season!!"

This team just doesn't have the roster, leadership, or STONES to play any kind of a consistent 60 min game. Yeah, we all love the Sharks, but wake up yall this team isn't going anywhere as is.

Who said they are going anywhere? The only stones lacking are from this fan base to be honest.

SJeasy

Feb 3, 2005
San Jose
The ref specifically said it didn't count because contact with Kuemper. That doesn't mean a player can't be in the blue. This isn't 1998.

The rule has a hierarchy.

If the player is in the blue on his own momentum, the ref is free to call even with no contact if he interfered with the goalies ability to move. If the player is outside the blue, the ref is to consider the momentum of both the goalie and the skater where established position wins. I am not fond of this particular ref or his explanation, but that is the criteria that they have been enforcing. They won't take it to 98 levels yet, but they have swung the pendulum back from what happened in 98 where the goalies were virtually unprotected for a short time after that ridiculous call.

I will still argue that the best way to avoid the call is to stay out of the blue.

Quid Pro Clowe

Dec 28, 2008

If the player is in the blue on his own momentum, the ref is free to call even with no contact if he interfered with the goalies ability to move. If the player is outside the blue, the ref is to consider the momentum of both the goalie and the skater where established position wins. I am not fond of this particular ref or his explanation, but that is the criteria that they have been enforcing. They won't take it to 98 levels yet, but they have swung the pendulum back from what happened in 98 where the goalies were virtually unprotected for a short time after that ridiculous call.

I will still argue that the best way to avoid the call is to stay out of the blue.
Thanks for explaining the rule.

As for the blue, it's kind of hard to avoid the blue and drive the net. There was pretty much nothing else Burns could have done there except not drive the net, then there goes the scoring chance. I can live with the ref making a judgement call, but the fact that it is not reviewable and the refs explaination upset me. Why even have replays or Toronto a a call can't be changed simply due to judgement?

SJeasy

Feb 3, 2005
San Jose
Thanks for explaining the rule.

As for the blue, it's kind of hard to avoid the blue and drive the net. There was pretty much nothing else Burns could have done there except not drive the net, then there goes the scoring chance. I can live with the ref making a judgement call, but the fact that it is not reviewable and the refs explaination upset me. Why even have replays or Toronto a a call can't be changed simply due to judgement?

They have to do a drive and pull up and it is best to aim at an angle that will carry a player along the edge of the blue. I have been pretty much in agreement with refs previously making the call while understanding the rule. They have been pretty good on whether it is momentum or push by defender. Players get in trouble when skating directly at the blue and trying to avoid the goalie by dodging him within the blue paint. Watch Marleau and Pavs because they are around the crease a lot and have only been called once or twice in years between the two of them. They manage to get to but not in the crease consistently.

one2gamble

Dec 24, 2007
They have to do a drive and pull up and it is best to aim at an angle that will carry a player along the edge of the blue. I have been pretty much in agreement with refs previously making the call while understanding the rule. They have been pretty good on whether it is momentum or push by defender. Players get in trouble when skating directly at the blue and trying to avoid the goalie by dodging him within the blue paint. Watch Marleau and Pavs because they are around the crease a lot and have only been called once or twice in years between the two of them. They manage to get to but not in the crease consistently.

The Push vs Momentum argument is stupid because the Dman can just occupy the lane to prevent the driving forward from avoiding the goaltender, similar to what happened to Burns to begin with.

Either the contact caused the goal, or it didnt. The rest is essentially ********* to give the officials an "out" for making the wrong call.

Alwalys

Phu m.
May 19, 2010

IMO you are way off-base talking about "the blue" ... the blue paint hasn't been a goal-canceling factor by itself over a decade. The rules take pains to point out that simply being in "the blue" (the crease) does not automatically nullify a goal, and while they are calling it tighter right now, every season calls are tighter at the start and dwindle to non-existent in the playoffs.

So I say crash the ****ing net. Joe, Pavs and Marleau staying out of the crease religiously is actually one of the few concrete examples of them habitually not playing a playoff style.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad