Prospect Info: #13OA - D Jake Bean - Calgary, WHL

DougieSmash

WE'RE IN! WE'RE IN! YES! YES! WOO!
Jan 2, 2009
Our offense will be fine in next couple year.

I'm fine with the pick. Bean was my favourite D in this draft, so i expect big things from him and Haydn Fleury in the near future.

uclaw88

Aug 30, 2004
There's a good article on Bean on a website called SB Nation, under the Flyers, urging that the Flyers draft him, as he "Is one of the most valuable players in this draft"

Discipline Daddy

Brentcent Van Burns
Nov 27, 2009
Raleigh, NC
Then again, RMurphyo scored 26G, 53A the year we drafted him. :laugh: It's OK, Murphy is 1" shorter than Bean.

Not saying it's a bad pick, but I'm a touch skeptical if we draft a D in the first round with questions about how his defensive game will translate. We'll see. I was jokingly saying at every pick from 8 on that I hope they take Bean and that I'd throw a tirade if we picked Bean. I trust Francis though. I'd like to think Francis is SURE that Bean > Murphy.

Brock Anton

flames #badnwagon
Nov 8, 2009
Westerly, RI
At least from my limited viewings, it looks like what Bean lacks in skating (compared to Murphy) he makes up for in smarts and positioning.

Finlandia WOAT

js7.4x8fnmcf5070124
May 23, 2010
Murphy scored all those points by skating really fast down the right wing and firing a slap shot at the goalie. Which is why his point total dropped in his post-draft year, as he adopted a more "NHL" game.

Jake Bean seems to have scored his impressive totals while playing an "NHL" game...but that is based on highlights only, I know nothing of Bean.

MinJaBen

Canes Sharks Boy
Sponsor
Dec 14, 2015
Durm
^ It's just weird to trade for a guy who should, barring disaster, have no real place on our roster. Hanifin and Slavin are our top-4 LHD, locked in for the long term. Fleury will have some seasoning by the time Bean's ready to break in; and it would be pretty bad if Fleury couldn't at least hold down a bottom pair spot, right?

So we've basically drafted a trading chip. It's weird. Not unheard of, but weird.

One reason to grab a Dman now is that when the next expansion team after LV is added, all our D will not be exempt. Thus he provides insurance for that time. Another possibility is that when he is ready, one of Slavin, Hanifin, or Fleury may be reaching a contract milestone where they are too expensive and are better off traded. Bean can then step in as a more affordable option.

Roboturner913

Jul 3, 2012
Murphy would've gotten chewed up in the WHL. You don't play D in that league without developing some semblance of all-around game.

bleedgreen

Dec 8, 2003
colorado
Visit site
Murphy's skating doesn't compare to this guys overall. Bean has smooth lateral movement with puck handing, Murphy sprints forward. This guy is a much better offensive skater overall than Murphy. This is a good pick.

Once that run on forwards happened this pick was logical.. Mcleod was even gone by the time we went.

As a fan base we should probably let go of the sentiment that our defense is "set" for the generation because of three rookies looking promising. This guys skill set separates him from the rest of our guys too, he's probably the best offensive dman in our group if he comes close to his ceiling.

Roboturner913

Jul 3, 2012
No doubt about it, the kid can shoot. I wish we could see something of what he looks like in his own end or in transition. Or even doing something more on the PP than just lining up one-timers.

NotOpie

"Puck don't lie"
Jun 12, 2006
North Carolina
I'm coming around on this pick from where I was last night. I think it was more the disappointment that we could have fixed the lack of top-end talent and goal-scoring in our F pool in one fell-swoop with 3 F in the first two rounds.

For what Bean brings that is different from what we have defensively, I think it's good add. Also, learning that like Slavin he's comfortable on both sides makes this make more sense.

I think it is a bit of a misnomer to say we desperately need additional scoring depth. Do we need more scoring depth? Sure. But with the addition of Zykov, Saarela, Teravainen, and Aho's emergence, some of those depth issues should be assuaged. Add in Foegele's nice year, Nicolas Roy's monster season and unknowns like Luke Stevens and we are slowly addressing that issue.

I'm cool with the pick, however I still wanted Bellows. I have to trust what RF is doing. Can't argue with what he's done so far.

Trust in the program. Trust in the process. :nod:

SaskCanesFan

Feb 27, 2015
His ability to hit that spot high on the short side and pop the water bottle so often is incredible, that's a tough shot to make from down low.

bleedgreen

Dec 8, 2003
colorado
Visit site
And its the blocker side. In the NHL that's a bad goal to give up, especially from the angle he's hitting it. Shows great skill that he can hit the spot though.

ginner classic

Dammit Jim!
Mar 4, 2002
Douglas Park
Canuck fan. Bean was rated right where he was taken. He's a fantastic pick. He might grow an jnch or two, add in some speed in his skating as he gets stronger and you might have a Letang on your hands.

Cane mutiny

Ahoy_Aho
Sep 5, 2006
One reason to grab a Dman now is that when the next expansion team after LV is added, all our D will not be exempt. Thus he provides insurance for that time. Another possibility is that when he is ready, one of Slavin, Hanifin, or Fleury may be reaching a contract milestone where they are too expensive and are better off traded. Bean can then step in as a more affordable option.

My thoughts exactly.

HisIceness

This is Hurricanes Hockey
Sep 16, 2010
Charlotte
Canuck fan. Bean was rated right where he was taken. He's a fantastic pick. He might grow an jnch or two, add in some speed in his skating as he gets stronger and you might have a Letang on your hands.

I like the sounds of this.

Really beginning to like this pick more and more. He has what appears to be an excellent, accurate shot, handles the puck well, and can make nice, crisp passes that are right on the sticks tape. I cannot tell you guys how many times over the years I've been frustrated watching our guys make sloppy passes and have the puck jump the stick. It's a big reason why our goal scoring has been problematic.

Not saying this kid is going to instantly solve these problems, but if he develops well he should help in that department.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad