Prospect Info: 135th overall (2017): Vancouver selects D Kristoffer Gunnarsson (Frolunda)

bossram

Sep 25, 2013
Victoria
This is the only pick where I'm left really going WTF?

Zero upside whatsoever. In his draft year, he had ZERO points in SuperElit. I mean, I get he's a "defensive defenseman", but it's looking fairly obvious he probably does not nearly have the bare minimum requisite speed, puckmoving ability or hands to make it to the NHL.

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
Canucks record of drafting project d-men from NA in late rounds (Liberati, Neill, Olson and Stewart) is so dismal, how can going to Sweden for a late-round flyer be any worse?

F A N

Aug 12, 2005
Lindgren's job title is pro scout, so not really the same thing, assuming the Canucks' site is correct.

Lindgren's a pro scout? Mea culpa.

You know I wonder about this. Under Gillis, there were "college and pro scouts" scouting the NCAA. Benning turned those guys into amateur scouts.

In Sweden, I'm not sure if there is much separation. Technically speaking, Pettersson and Gunnarsson play in "pro leagues." And it doesn't make sense to separate between the SHL and Allsvenskan given a draft eligible prospect could be playing in either league or both in the same year.

I asked this before, does anyone know if Gradin is based in Vancouver or Sweden? Many years back I heard he was based out of Vancouver.

Knight53

#6 #9 #17 #35 #40 #43
Jun 23, 2015
Vancouver
Lol at this thread. Good pick.

Very little difference between him and first rounder Gabriel Carlsson. Pure shutdown type defenseman with a good first pass.

Better than any useless low upside plug from the chl.

The Bob Cole

Ohhhh Baby.
Apr 18, 2004
Centre Ice
You know I wonder about this. Under Gillis, there were "college and pro scouts" scouting the NCAA. Benning turned those guys into amateur scouts.

In Sweden, I'm not sure if there is much separation. Technically speaking, Pettersson and Gunnarsson play in "pro leagues." And it doesn't make sense to separate between the SHL and Allsvenskan given a draft eligible prospect could be playing in either league or both in the same year.

I asked this before, does anyone know if Gradin is based in Vancouver or Sweden? Many years back I heard he was based out of Vancouver.

You can catch Gradin around WHL arenas... pretty sure he's a Western guy and not overly involved with their European scouting... which is funny given that everyone is crediting him with the Pettersson pick.

Dreamboat

Esports Caster
Feb 1, 2009
Victoria
twitter.com
While i got the instant bust feeling as well, two things are ringing in the back of my head:

1. Somehow, with no offense, was good enough to get picked to world junior Sweden
2. Has been playing against men.

He clearly was impressive enough to get picked, and it's not like he has 0 points playing against boys in the CHL. Tryamkin didn't really put up points in the KHL at the same point, not sure how huge the skill gap is, but it's enough for me to not want to rule it out completely.

F A N

Aug 12, 2005
You can catch Gradin around WHL arenas... pretty sure he's a Western guy and not overly involved with their European scouting... which is funny given that everyone is crediting him with the Pettersson pick.

Thanks. Like I said, I remember many years back that Gradin is now based in Vancouver or at least North America. I wonder if he still oversees Europe as he did before Benning came on board. In terms of the Pettersson pick, Hammarstrom is the guy that scouted him the most. That's really not a secret. Not sure if Gradin had much with the pick or he pushed for it.

Tobi Wan Kenobi

May 25, 2011
Vancouver
This is the only pick where I'm left really going WTF?

Zero upside whatsoever. In his draft year, he had ZERO points in SuperElit. I mean, I get he's a "defensive defenseman", but it's looking fairly obvious he probably does not nearly have the bare minimum requisite speed, puckmoving ability or hands to make it to the NHL.

Looking at Tanevs stat sheet would you consider him zero upside? Not comparing the two but just saying....defense matters

FroshaugFan2

Dec 7, 2006
While i got the instant bust feeling as well, two things are ringing in the back of my head:

1. Somehow, with no offense, was good enough to get picked to world junior Sweden
2. Has been playing against men.

He clearly was impressive enough to get picked, and it's not like he has 0 points playing against boys in the CHL. Tryamkin didn't really put up points in the KHL at the same point, not sure how huge the skill gap is, but it's enough for me to not want to rule it out completely.
It kind of is though. He had zero points his draft year playing against boys in the Swedish junior league.

Draft year production in the SuperEilt:
Gunnersson: 0 points in 38 games
Andersson: 8 points in 36 games
Cederholm: 13 points in 36 games

Last edited:

Boose Brudreau

Guddbranson is a paper tiger
Nov 27, 2006
It kind of is though. He had zero points his draft year playing against boys in the Swedish junior league.

Draft year production in the SuperEilt:
Gunnersson: 0 points in 38 games
Andersson: 8 points in 36 games
Cederholm: 13 points in 36 games

Yeah, but to be fair, he had 7 goals and 7 assists in 36 games the year before....AND he only played a hand full of games in the junior league last year....he spent the majority of his time in the Alsvensken and SHL.

FroshaugFan2

Dec 7, 2006
He averaged 8 minutes per game with Frolunda the past two seasons.

http://www.shl.se/statistik/spelare...eam=All&outcome=all&location=all&invert=false

He got a bit more time this season with Oskarhamn in the Allsvenskan. He averaged 15:54 there, good for 6th among regular defenceman.

http://www.hockeyallsvenskan.se/sta...lar/D/All/IKO/All/All/All/dec?lang=sv&count=0

He was suspended from the SHL for five games last season for a head shot. The hit is at 1:56.

http://www.expressen.se/gt/sport/nytt-matchstraff-for-frolunda-i-toppmotet/

iceburg

Don't ask why
Aug 31, 2003
I'm not really bothered by this pick as others are. No doubt, there is no offensive production but...
-he was a 5th rounder, expectations should not be high. If he has potential to bring one useful element to an NHL roster, that is a win.
-he had enough of a game (whatever that is) to play in the SHL as a 19 year old.
-seems he is solid defensively and has a mean streak (see useful element).

If he can fill a role on an NHL roster as a 7/8 D-man who is solid defensively and makes opposing teams pay in the corners and in front of the net, that is a big win for a 5th rounder. A bigger, meaner Biega would be excellent.

Pip

Feb 2, 2012
Granduland
Nah. It's a waste of a pick if his upside is a 7/8 guy. Depth players are worthless and there are tons available every year for nothing. I doubt he'll ever be good enough for even that role.

StIllmatic

Mar 27, 2010
Vancouver
Nah. It's a waste of a pick if his upside is a 7/8 guy. Depth players are worthless and there are tons available every year for nothing. I doubt he'll ever be good enough for even that role.

Exactly this. Drafting a player with the upside of a #6/7/8 D or a 4th line grinder is useless. These players are easily replaceable for free on the open market. That's why I like the Palmu pick.

This was a wasted draft pick and whoever encouraged the drafting of this player should have their employment reviewed. It's a blatant waste of an asset.

iceburg

Don't ask why
Aug 31, 2003

7/8 defensemen end up playing 50ish games due to injuries. 7/8 D-men on contending teams can't be a significant downgrade when injuries occur. In my view a bigger, meaner Biega or a better-than-Sbisa defenseman has value. Sbisa was a top four on this bad team, and he was selected in the expansion draft, indicating others thought he had value despite his contract. Gunnarsson's upside would appear to be better than that.

timw33

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 18, 2007
Victoria
It's like drafting Taylor Ellington or Daniel Rahimi.

Hell, even Willie Mitchell and Barrett Jackman put up really solid offensive numbers in the CHL/NCAA and are only 15 point guys in the NHL.

Don't draft a 4th line centre, goon, or depth defenceman.

Verviticus

Jul 23, 2010
I'm not really bothered by this pick as others are. No doubt, there is no offensive production but...
-he was a 5th rounder, expectations should not be high. If he has potential to bring one useful element to an NHL roster, that is a win.
-he had enough of a game (whatever that is) to play in the SHL as a 19 year old.
-seems he is solid defensively and has a mean streak (see useful element).

If he can fill a role on an NHL roster as a 7/8 D-man who is solid defensively and makes opposing teams pay in the corners and in front of the net, that is a big win for a 5th rounder. A bigger, meaner Biega would be excellent.

no its not. thats not a win. those guys are free every year. better players are free every year! matt hunwick is free this year!

just trade it for future considerations if you're gonna throw it in the garbage

7/8 defensemen end up playing 50ish games due to injuries. 7/8 D-men on contending teams can't be a significant downgrade when injuries occur. In my view a bigger, meaner Biega or a better-than-Sbisa defenseman has value. Sbisa was a top four on this bad team, and he was selected in the expansion draft, indicating others thought he had value despite his contract. Gunnarsson's upside would appear to be better than that.

gunnarsson's upside is ****ing AHL depth player

luca sbisa produced as a junior. he was probably a bad pick but he was still a talented player when he was 17. this guy is a junker no-upside bum that will probably not leave sweden

Verviticus

Jul 23, 2010
if you're gonna draft a coke machine with a late pick, at least pick a guy thats genuinely bat**** insane and hope that he mangles mcdavid or whatever in his rookie year so you can kick him to the curb and call it a win

iceburg

Don't ask why
Aug 31, 2003
n
luca sbisa produced as a junior. he was probably a bad pick but he was still a talented player when he was 17. this guy is a junker no-upside bum that will probably not leave sweden

Gotta love the hyperbole towards a guy who played in one of the top leagues in the world at 19 years of age. The strength of your argument gets lost with these types of overstatements.

Nobody is claiming he has any offensive upside. The disagreement appears to be whether this fact alone means he has no usefulness as an NHL defenseman. If the reports are accurate that he plays a solid defensive, physical game and has decent mobility, I'm happy to patiently wait to see if these attributes translate to NA and potentially to the NHL.

FroshaugFan2

Dec 7, 2006
Gotta love the hyperbole towards a guy who played in one of the top leagues in the world at 19 years of age. The strength of your argument gets lost with these types of overstatements.

Nobody is claiming he has any offensive upside. The disagreement appears to be whether this fact alone means he has no usefulness as an NHL defenseman. If the reports are accurate that he plays a solid defensive, physical game and has decent mobility, I'm happy to patiently wait to see if these attributes translate to NA and potentially to the NHL.

I'm not sure how much credit he deserves for playing 23 SHL games. SHL teams often call up young players as injury replacements and just to get them experience, and not necessarily because the player deserves it. For example Cederholm played 12 SHL games in his draft year, but couldn't make the SHL this past season as a 21 year old.

There are 11 undrafted 1997 born players with more SHL experience than Gunnarsson. There are also two 98 born and 99 born players with more experience who passed through the draft.

Last edited:

iceburg

Don't ask why
Aug 31, 2003
I'm not sure how much credit he deserves for playing 23 SHL games. SHL teams often call up young players as injury replacements and just to get them experience, and not necessarily because the player deserves it. For example Cederholm played 12 SHL games in his draft year, but couldn't make the SHL this past season as a 21 year old.

There are 11 undrafted 1997 born players with more SHL experience than Gunnarsson. There are also two 98 born and 99 born players with more experience who passed through the draft.

Fair enough but it's still hyperbole. I'm on a mission to civilize...

Disappointed EP40

Jan 13, 2015

Yea. I would love to hear/see what it is that made him attractive to be picked at this spot. I get that everyone seems to be just stat watching, and checking his context, he appears to be a throw away pick. Does he have crazy shot suppression like Tanev? Or has he yet to fill out and the expectation is once he's grown he'll get better? What are we not seeing here?

Hoping some Swedish fans that have watched him can chime in.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad