Prospect Info: 135th overall (2017): Vancouver selects D Kristoffer Gunnarsson (Frolunda)

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
Canuck hockey ops draft gurus need a new 'best practice'...."we're not taking a d-man from the CHL or Europe after round #3 no matter what." I mean how many guys can you draft and then just walk away from before serious questions start getting asked?

In fact the only d-men the Canucks have drafted in later rounds in recent years who worked out were Hutton and possibly Rathbone....other than those two, it's been a black hole.

I suppose the only positive note is that they've been able to identify UFA's like Chatfield, Teves, Eliot and Rafferty who look like they can help Utica at least.

Hansen

tyler motte simp
Oct 12, 2011
Nanaimo, B.C.
Canuck hockey ops draft gurus need a new 'best practice'...."we're not taking a d-man from the CHL or Europe after round #3 no matter what." I mean how many guys can you draft and then just walk away from before serious questions start getting asked?

In fact the only d-men the Canucks have drafted in later rounds in recent years who worked out were Hutton and possibly Rathbone....other than those two, it's been a black hole.

I suppose the only positive note is that they've been able to identify UFA's like Chatfield, Teves, Eliot and Rafferty who look like they can help Utica at least.
Probably 80% of draft picks on average for teams around the league

Taking a dman here wasnt the problem. It was taking a player who has exhibited next to 0 offensive talent at any level ever, which is the mantra that needs desperately to change

ProstheticConscience

Check dein Limit
Apr 30, 2010
Canuck Nation
tenor.gif

Siludin

Dec 9, 2010
If Gunnarson thinks he is going to make any type of move to North America directly into the NHL then his agent needs to be taken out back.

Gunnarson has to know that he is an AHLer now and in the immediate future, but on that note I still hope Utica offers him a contract rather than the Canucks, because he is any good at eating defensive AHL minutes, it would free up offensive/PP time for the real prospects.

Reactions: CanuckCity

F A N

Aug 12, 2005
If Gunnarson thinks he is going to make any type of move to North America directly into the NHL then his agent needs to be taken out back.

Gunnarson has to know that he is an AHLer now and in the immediate future, but on that note I still hope Utica offers him a contract rather than the Canucks, because he is any good at eating defensive AHL minutes, it would free up offensive/PP time for the real prospects.

If Gunnarson is getting AHL offensive/PP time the coach should presumably be fired. The “real prospects” should get key defensive minutes. If they are sheltered at the AHL level then they aren’t really “real prospects.”

If Comets sign Gunnarson believing he can help the AHL team that’s fine. If the Canucks sign him it should be because they believe he can at least provide depth on D.

Cancuks

Former Exalted Ruler
Jan 13, 2014
At the EI office
Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad