Prospect Info: #134 - Liam Dower Nilsson (C)

ricky0034

Jun 8, 2010
Draper was the main advocate for Tyler Bertuzzi (Tyler Bertuzzi's Red Wings origin story). He and Todd both played together for Detroit, the Bertuzzi pick was widely panned as a nepotism selection at the time.

Sure, it was eight years ago. Honestly, who is Hakan's landmark pick these past 8 years?

For what it's worth I love Andersson as much as anybody, I'm simply asking we give Kris Draper a fraction of the leeway that Hakan gets.

I think even with Hakan people would be skeptical if he got the Wings to draft his son or a player he coached as a kid that played on the same team as his son

I certainly would be

The Zetterberg Era

Ball Hockey Sucks
Nov 8, 2011
Ft. Myers, FL
If Yzerman and Draper don't like our last couple top 10 Swedish picks they don't happen. That isn't just Hakan who yes has a ton of trust and should. But those range picks aren't picks a GM or Head of Scouting really give away to somebody else.

I trust the players we have heard Draper likes, I was a big Dach guy as he was reportedly one of them. Bertuzzi was a great pick. He seems to value skating and compete level. I trust this process. I could have went after different guys at different points, but it isn't like I cannot see the intrigue with some of these guys. I think we have had a good couple days, after how rough it has been for a while now, I am happy to have seen what Yzerman has done in the last 48+ hours.

Ed Ned and Leddy

Brokering the Bally Sports + Corncob TV Merger
Apr 1, 2019
Detroit to DC
I think even with Hakan people would be skeptical if he got the Wings to draft his son or a player he coached as a kid that played on the same team as his son

I certainly would be

I mean the Kieran pick is what it is, I'm not here to change your mind on that.

On Mazur, I don't see how Draper taking a guy from Little Caesar's, an excellent program he used to coach, is different than Hakan taking a guy from Frolunda, an excellent program from which he used to serve on the Board.

Like can we at least entertain the possibility that Mazur might be a nice bottom six piece and some of the Swedish guys might not pan out? This board is just so harsh on Draper and some of the NA picks the second they happen. I get skepticism and I get constructive criticism, but some of vitriol just seems pretty unjustified.

Reactions: ealong59

MBH

Players Play
Jul 20, 2019
SE Michigan
redwingsnow.com
I like this pick. I have no serious issue with any pick we've made this weekend.

It is interesting to me that Hakan is lauded for drafting every decent prospect in a Frolunda sweater yet, according to some, any player who has stepped within a 5 mile radius of Kris Draper is a garbage pick based solely on nepotism.

This is not a knock on Hakan by the way, and I recognize his track record is going to grant him more leeway with fans. But can we maybe not lambast the kids with ties to Draper because you don't immediately love what you've read in the scouting reports? Think a bit of patience with the mid/late round guys would go a long way on this board.

Good Lord.

An overager who was mostly ranked in 100s, even he was ranked at all, was drafted and fans don;'t like it because more known quantities were available.

Paint it as Draper hating if you want. But that's silly.

Hakan f***ing Andersson never drafted his son, either.
He drafted Datsyuk and Zetterberg and Hudler and Filppula and Fleischmann and Kronwall and Nyquist and Tatar etc.

Draper will get "a fraction" of the leeway when he earns it.

MBH

Players Play
Jul 20, 2019
SE Michigan
redwingsnow.com
I mean the Kieran pick is what it is, I'm not here to change your mind on that.

On Mazur, I don't see how Draper taking a guy from Little Caesar's, an excellent program he used to coach, is different than Hakan taking a guy from Frolunda, an excellent program from which he used to serve on the Board.

Like can we at least entertain the possibility that Mazur might be a nice bottom six piece and some of the Swedish guys might not pan out? This board is just so harsh on Draper and some of the NA picks the second they happen. I get skepticism and I get constructive criticism, but some of vitriol just seems pretty unjustified.

If Mazur was ranked #70 or in that neighborhood in most places, nobody would have raised an eyebrow.

Ed Ned and Leddy

Apr 1, 2019
Detroit to DC
If Mazur was ranked #70 or in that neighborhood in most places, nobody would have raised an eyebrow.

That's true. Because most of this board hardly watches an hour of amateur hockey, reads a few mock drafts and scouting reports, and then just spews anger when things go slightly against the grain.

We've drafted "reaches" who have been excellent. We've drafted "steals" who have sucked. People are calling for Draper's after "reaching" on a third rounder that I'm pretty sure 95%+ of this board hasn't seen play a shift of hockey.

Reactions: Gibby

MBH

Players Play
Jul 20, 2019
SE Michigan
redwingsnow.com
That's true. Because most of this board hardly watches an hour of amateur hockey, reads a few mock drafts and scouting reports, and then just spews anger when things go slightly against the grain.

We've drafted "reaches" who have been excellent. We've drafted "steals" who have sucked. People are calling for Draper's after "reaching" on a third rounder that I'm pretty sure 95%+ of this board hasn't seen play a shift of hockey.

How many overaged reaches have we drafted in the top 3 rounds since 1990?

Ed Ned and Leddy

Apr 1, 2019
Detroit to DC
How many overaged reaches have we drafted in the top 3 rounds since 1990?

Hahaha, super good-faith criteria right there.

To my knowledge, none until today. Why is the over-ager aspect relevant?

If we got an NHL player in the 3rd round that's a win whether he's 18 or 19. If he's not an NHL guy (which is the strong, strong probability at pick #70), then it's a miss.

MBH

Players Play
Jul 20, 2019
SE Michigan
redwingsnow.com
Hahaha, super good-faith criteria right there.

To my knowledge, none until today. Why is the over-ager aspect relevant?

If we got an NHL player in the 3rd round that's a win whether he's 18 or 19. If he's not an NHL guy (which is the strong, strong probability at pick #70), then it's a miss.

No shit.
The point is, people wanted a better bet.
A better prospect.
Not the guy whose profile says
" You’re not drafting him for hockey sense or other stuff."

Defend the pick all you want.
But I've yet to read a decent f***ing report that makes me think he's got any chance of being a decent NHLer.

This is Kienan Draper part II - "Third Round Style"

Ed Ned and Leddy

Apr 1, 2019
Detroit to DC
No shit.
The point is, people wanted a better bet.
A better prospect.
Not the guy whose profile says
" You’re not drafting him for hockey sense or other stuff."

Defend the pick all you want.
But I've yet to read a decent f***ing report that makes me think he's got any chance of being a decent NHLer.

This is Kienan Draper part II - "Third Round Style"

So all of your frustration is based on what someone else wrote about this kid and not what you've actually seen.

I haven't seen Mazur play either, don't love the scouting reports either. But I'm not going to offer a strong opinion on a kid I've literally never seen play hockey.

Again I think skepticism here is fine, but the anger towards this kid and Draper is pretty insane to me considering no one here, as far as I can tell, has seen him play any hockey.

OgeeOgelthorpe

Baldina
Feb 29, 2020
Draper was the main advocate for Tyler Bertuzzi (Tyler Bertuzzi's Red Wings origin story). He and Todd both played together for Detroit, the Bertuzzi pick was widely panned as a nepotism selection at the time.

Sure, it was eight years ago. Honestly, who is Hakan's landmark pick these past 8 years?

For what it's worth I love Andersson as much as anybody, I'm simply asking we give Kris Draper a fraction of the leeway that Hakan gets.

To be fair, Hakan hasn't had much draft capital to work with prior to 2017. Tyler Wright needed to get his big boys.

He did draft Janmark who is a pretty good player. We can also credit him for the following:

Jonatan Berggren
Lucas Raymond
William Wallinder
Gustav Berglund
Simon Edvinsson
Elmer Soderblom
Theodor Niederbach
Albert Johansson

I'd like to see him look outside of Frolunda more but Hakan has done a great job since 2018 in rebuilding our farm system. Outside of Berglund all of these kids would be a top 5 player in almost any other team's prospect pool.

MBH

Players Play
Jul 20, 2019
SE Michigan
redwingsnow.com
So all of your frustration is based on what someone else wrote about this kid and not what you've actually seen.

I haven't seen Mazur play either, don't love the scouting reports either. But I'm not going to offer a strong opinion on a kid I've literally never seen play hockey.

Again I think skepticism here is fine, but the anger towards this kid and Draper is pretty insane to me considering no one here, as far as I can tell, has seen him play any hockey.

There is no anger or frustration with Draper/Mazur.
The frustration is with posters who push back against anyone who offers any criticism.

I was all for Edvinsson. All for trading up and getting Cossa.
I don't have people chasing me around the boards for being happy with a pick.

The fact that you and other continually have to exaggerate the opinion your arguing against shows how weak your take is.

It's just a lousy pick.
The scouting reports with Draper and Mazur are very similar.
Gutsy, try-hard guys without much skill.
Who knows, but there's a good chance Mazur is still there in round 6.
His Tri-City Storm linemate, Hunter Strand, is 7-8 months younger and was generally rated higher, went undrafted.

Last edited:

sureWhyNot

Jan 24, 2012
Chicago
The frustration is with posters who push back against anyone who offers any criticism.

The fact that you and other continually have to exaggerate the opinion your arguing against shows how weak your take is.

It's just a lousy pick.
His Tri-City Storm linemate, Hunter Strand, is 7-8 months younger and was generally rated higher, went undrafted.

this.

Dotter

THE ATHLETIC IS GARBAGE
Jul 2, 2014
Imprisonment, TN
goo.gl

It's just a lousy pick.

People treat mock rankings as Gospel. Like they are the be-all and end-all from GOD himself. It's just random peoples' limited viewing, stat watching, cherry picked opinions. Unless you are referring to McKenzie, which I think he questions like 10 [nameless] scouts out of 100s.

Mock drafts are fun. So is the "draft lottery generator". I like pushing the big button and watching the wheel spin to see where Wings draft.

Mock drafts are a novelty for your viewing pleasure, don't get so damn invested in some $49.95 Blue Book. Do people really spend money on that stuff?

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010

It's just a lousy pick.

I kinda see where you are coming from, but let me just ask you this…

Do you think every pick your team makes should be a player on your radar with a glowing scouting report?

Do you think those are reasonable expectations?

Because if so, I think nearly all the teams in the league would disappoint you on a yearly basis.

MBH

Players Play
Jul 20, 2019
SE Michigan
redwingsnow.com
I kinda see where you are coming from, but let me just ask you this…

Do you think every pick your team makes should be a player on your radar with a glowing scouting report?

Do you think those are reasonable expectations?

Because if so, I think nearly all the teams in the league would disappoint you on a yearly basis.

No.
Even in today's age, there are surprises. Even from highly scouted leagues.
But until said player shows me I'm wrong, I'm gonna stick to my guns.
Why would I change my mind just because Detroit drafted him? There's a word for that. It ends in SIMPSON. :)
At least give me that somewhat glowing scouting report, you know? From someone other than the Red Wings' beat writers and PR staff.
Plandowski...Didn't look at him at all. Didn't like it for a minute. Then I read some so-so scouting reports that hinted at potential and I was fine with it. Helps that he's in round 5 instead of 3, but still.
Problem with Mazur is, when I started digging in, I didn't like the scouting reports.
Then I connected him to Kienan and Kris Draper. And... that just felt like inside baseball to me.

jaster

Take me off ignore, please.
Jun 8, 2007
Lol. "There's no frustration!"

*proceeds to continue post that indicates high level of frustration*

"It's just a lousy pick."

Not. Frustrated.

Nut Upstrom

You dirty dog!
Dec 18, 2010
Florida

It's just a lousy pick.

Think about it, do we know anyone on these Red Wing forums who does this often?
Like, really often?
Like, all the f***ing time?
I'm talking like every thread including the many he makes up just to do this some more?

Reactions: jaster

The Real Pastafarian

Registered dipshit
Apr 4, 2020
Ohio (OH? IO.)
Loving the character picks. Obviously we can’t have a team of Zetterburgs, but I don’t think it’s a tall ask for a team of guys that will play their hearts out. Like to see that.

Damn I'd love to have a team of Zetterbergs. How's the human cloning stuff coming along?

My first choice, though, without too much thought on this, would be a team of Sergei Federovs.

Now I'm wondering how a team of Zetterbergs would do against a team of Federovs. The Zetterbergs would be playing 4D chess on the ice, but the Federovs would be throwing so many shots on poor goalie Zetterberg I'm thinking the total goals scored in the game might be 25 or 30.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Rennes vs Brest
    Rennes vs Brest
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $61.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Mainz vs FC Köln
    Mainz vs FC Köln
    Wagers: 4
    Staked: $380.00