Prospect Info: #132 D Yegor Rykov

NJDevs26

Once upon a time...
Mar 21, 2007
Corey Pronman ‏@coreypronman 31s32 seconds ago
Devils take Yegor Rykov. A re entry defenseman I'm a fan of. He was one of Russia's best defenseman at the WJC. Well rounded player.

Balance

Jesus loves you!
May 20, 2013
Finally we take a Russian player in the draft. How many years of them being the best team in the WJC and scouts do not take these great players because of the "Russian factor".

Poor drafting of Russian players causes things like Panarin to just get overlooked. You could pick up players better than 1st rounders in the 6th round if you strictly draft Russian.

StevenToddIves

May 18, 2013
Brooklyn, NY
Another excellent pick.

Everything about this kid screams NHL. Size, skates, skills, heavy shot, hockey IQ -- they are all very good. Nothing about his game jumps out at you as amazing, but he has a very high floor. I expect him to be a solid mid-pairing defenseman, a steady blueline presence in any situation.

A very, very good pick in the 5th round. Nothing not to like here.

R8Devs

1-5-6-12
Nov 20, 2010
New Jersey
after Santini, Rykov is probably the best defense prospect we have. Not saying much because the other guys are White, Mozik, and Jacobs.

Hopefully he'll come over when his contract ends in 2019.

R8Devs

1-5-6-12
Nov 20, 2010
New Jersey
Yea his offensive abilities seems to be miles ahead of Santini and making SKA as a 19 year old even as a bottom pair defenseman is crazy impressive.

HenriquesJawLine

Mar 6, 2009
Yea his offensive abilities seems to be miles ahead of Santini and making SKA as a 19 year old even as a bottom pair defenseman is crazy impressive.

They have to carry a certain number of U20 players but he still has to earn his playing time

Jason MacIsaac

Jan 13, 2004
Halifax, NS
Dimitri Orlov seems to be his closest comparison when you take into consideration KHL and WJC numbers.

Draft +2 seasons:

Orlov - 13 points in 45 games, -18 on a bottom team in the KHL.
- 9 points in 7 games, +10 on a gold medal Russia team at WJC

Rykov - 5 points in 33 games, +10 on the top team outside of the NHL
- 6 points in 3 games, +4 on this years Russian WJC team.

One thing is for certain, the only thing that I can see holding him back from putting up huge points in the NHL would be lack of a 98 MPH+ slap shot/one timer. At 6`2 216 pounds that shouldn't be overly difficult to develop with proper training.

Last edited:

Zippy316

aka Zippo
Aug 17, 2012
New Jersey
A nice prospect but he's so far out to being NHL eligible. That tempers my excitement for him.

Exciting part for me is the timeline.

We have Severson/Santini who in three years should be at the peak of their games on the right side. On the left side, there is nothing. Greene will be long gone, Moore will hopefully be long gone, and Merrill will be little more than a #5, if anything. Depending on who Shero adds to the defense this off-season, let's say he gets us a Brodin or similar LD via trade.

Brodin - Severson
xxxxx - Santini

Will likely be our top four in a few years barring an additional signing/trade/draft pick (Liljegren?). Regardless, we'd be in an awesome position to slide Rykov into the left side where we are weak in the prospect pool. Would also tie in with when this team should start to compete again.

The Wumpus

bottomless pit supervisor
May 9, 2011
Morristown, NJ
I don't mind that Rykov won't come over for a few years. It's essentially no different from slow-cooking him in Albany. He should be much closer to a finished product when he comes over.

So far, looking like a genuine steal of a pick.

MichaelJ

May 20, 2013
I don't mind that Rykov won't come over for a few years. It's essentially no different from slow-cooking him in Albany. He should be much closer to a finished product when he comes over.

So far, looking like a genuine steal of a pick.

He should be able to hit the ground running when he arrives

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad