Prospect Info: #131 Adam Werner, G

S E P H

Cloud IX
Mar 5, 2010
Toruń, PL
Overager being at 19 years old, has great goaler size being at 6'5", and was ranked as 8th overall EU goaler last year from NHL Central Scouting.

Never seen him play, but posted some amazing stats just this season, but not in either of his draft year or first overage year. Seems like a late blooming goaltender which is pretty much common occurrence in hockey. Going to play in the Allsvenskan next season which might be a make or break season to see how well he develops.

chet1926

Jan 9, 2008
Denver
I know absolutely nothing about the kid, but I'm willing to give a guy with his size who put up reasonable numbers last year a shot.

S E P H

Cloud IX
Mar 5, 2010
Toruń, PL
I wonder if he shares the same style as JS Giguere, based on his size, he sounds like one of those prototypical butterfly goalers that Allaire loves.

R S

Sep 18, 2006
Intrigued by this pick. Great size and solid numbers.

Foppa2118

Oct 3, 2003
Allaire continues his tradition of favoring bigger goalies over the smaller agile ones.

Lovonov

Jun 7, 2018
upload_2018-11-16_9-57-11.png

Good start for Adam. Looks like the best Avs prospect outside of NHL/AHL so far.

Reactions: Pokecheque

UncleRisto

Not Great, Bob!
Jul 7, 2012
Finland
Werner has that good makeup of the European goalie that gets his cup of coffee eventually. Or maybe struggles to stick in the big league. I've liked him as a prospect for a bit now.
Now hopefully Quackers is doing well in the CR, or that might be asking too much.
Completely.

Reactions: Pokecheque

S E P H

Cloud IX
Mar 5, 2010
Toruń, PL
A goaly that the Avs actually drafted that is looking good?

Even then Werner faces challenges because he isn't a very athletic goaler, which entirely every NHL goaler has to some degree. That isn't to say Werner is useless, but if you lack athleticism for the NHL like F. Andersen, Riemer, or Luongo (shotblockers), you better have high amounts of IQ for reading the play and anticipating where the puck is going to be. This differs to the more athletic goalers like Varlamov, Vasilevskiy, and Quick to name a few who can be potentially delayed by a screen or a deflection and use their reflexes to make a save.

theslatcher

Jan 5, 2016
Sweden
Sounds like Avs want to have him over next season. Had the third-best sv% in the SHL regular season while splitting games with Markus Svensson.

Still in the playoffs, so it's not something he's thinking about right now.

Reactions: Tommy G

benzino

Mar 1, 2012
Estocolmo
I saw the article he sounds interested in coming but I think he will stay another season in SHL and fight for Nr 1 right now he is backup in playoffs to a solid veteran. But he will get games next season if he signs a short contract with Färjestad and he loves his current goalie coach not sure how much he play if he join the Eagles.

Last edited:

AvsRobin

Size doesn't matter!
Aug 10, 2010
Stockholm
Yeah, the swedish outlet HockeyNews is reporting that FBK needs to replace him cause the plan is for Werner to be in Colorado next season.

Starter in the AHL?

Reactions: Lemonlimey

UncleRisto

Not Great, Bob!
Jul 7, 2012
Finland
Yeah, the swedish outlet HockeyNews is reporting that FBK needs to replace him cause the plan is for Werner to be in Colorado next season.

Starter in the AHL?
I think the best move would be to have him backup a veteran third stringer. At least to start.

Metallo

NWOBHM forever \m/
Feb 14, 2010
Québec, QC
Posting this here also:

How many 3rd string goalies in NHL history came in relief to pitch a shutout in their NHL debut?

We might have witnessed history.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad