Prospect Info: #131 Adam Werner, G

flyfysher

Mar 21, 2012
Congrats to Werner. Hopefully Werner can consistently duplicate his debut effort. I had to look it up since so many of our posters decry our scouting department's post 1st round draft picks but Werner was selected in 2016 in the 5th round at pick 131. Not bad guys. Not bad at all.

Avs9296

Jul 1, 2019
He was very very impressive last night. Showed great poise and great rebound control. Pucks were either being kicked right into the corner or he smothered them completely. Also flashed his glove a few times. Doesn't hurt he has a huge frame for a goalie. He could be one to keep an eye on.

LTC Pain

Jul 1, 2006
Colorado Springs, CO
Congrats Adam on achieving a shutout in your NHL debut. I've got a ton of respect (and fan satisfaction) for a guy who goes beyond "standing on his head" for his teammates in a situation like that! Well done young man!

Reactions: Lemonlimey

Northern Avs Fan

May 27, 2019
upload_2019-11-13_8-32-13.gif

AllAboutAvs

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 25, 2006
I had been following Werner closely this year because of his great season last year so I am extremely happy about his first game with the Avs.

Well deserved. Congrats!!

Foppa2118

Oct 3, 2003
Outstanding performance from him last night. I didn't think he looked great in camp so I was starting to write him off in the back of my mind.

Sucks for Franky to get hurt, but good for Werner to have the opportunity to redeem himself. Looking forward to seeing if he can pass the consistency test now.

Having both him and Annunen showing signs of promise would be huge for this team. Can't remember when they had that kind of depth. At most it seems like there's been one guy with promise, and a lot of the time there's been none.

Pierce Hawthorne

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 29, 2012
Caverns of Draconis
Annunen and Shamkov(?) both seem to be doing well also. Gives some hope atleast.

Annunen wasn't a shot in the dark like the others. He was a highly ranked and highly regarded goalie that we took basically at the very beginning of the 3rd round.

But ya all of our goalies are actually having decent seasons right now. Miner has put together a few good games in a row now after a sluggish start as well.

Reactions: avsfan09

McMetal

Writer of Wrongs
Sep 29, 2015
Yeah, it's really only Kvaca who's looking like a clear miss at this point. I guess he's finally established himself in the top Czech league now and is posting reasonable numbers, but I feel like his timeline is moving too slowly for there to be any real chance at a North American career.

Reactions: ETTHAKING67

El Travo

Why are we still here? Just to suffer?
Aug 11, 2015
So two things that I can see that Werner needs to work on if he wants to have an NHL career: rebound control, and getting quicker with his lateral movements. There were a couple times where he'd have been beat pretty easily on the one-timer had the Jets player aimed short side. He's a big guy so the speed may not be as big of an issue but he'd go from a journeyman goalie to a starter if he got quicker. Rinne is a guy who comes to mind when you get a big body who can also move quick laterally.

Peter The Great
Aug 17, 2005
Sweden
Didn't really expect this but I really like big goalies if they are mobile and athletic. Tons of rebounds is a rather common issue for European goalies in the NHL, not sure why.

In general players developed in Färjestad are good, getting a good hockey education, a great club in a small city. Håkan Loob had various manager positions for years but now working for Calgary I think (european scouting), I respect Håkan so much, similar attitude as Forsberg (winning is everything).

Fun

Last edited:

Spirits

Avalanche and Vikings
Jul 12, 2014
So two things that I can see that Werner needs to work on if he wants to have an NHL career: rebound control, and getting quicker with his lateral movements. There were a couple times where he'd have been beat pretty easily on the one-timer had the Jets player aimed short side. He's a big guy so the speed may not be as big of an issue but he'd go from a journeyman goalie to a starter if he got quicker. Rinne is a guy who comes to mind when you get a big body who can also move quick laterally.
It is common for young goalies to struggle with rebound control. He will get it sorted out. He had robbed a nice wrap around attempt, its nice having a Gigantor Goalie for once.

Reactions: 21

El Travo

Why are we still here? Just to suffer?
Aug 11, 2015
It is common for young goalies to struggle with rebound control. He will get it sorted out. He had robbed a nice wrap around attempt, its nice having a Gigantor Goalie for once.

Oh yeah, no doubt. It was just an observation.

benzino

Mar 1, 2012
Estocolmo
Didn't really expect this but I really like big goalies if they are mobile and athletic. Tons of rebounds is a rather common issue for European goalies in the NHL, not sure why.

In general players developed in Färjestad are are good, getting a good hockey education, a great club in a small city. Håkan Loob had various manager positions for years but now working for Calgary I think (european scouting), I respect Håkan so much, similar attitude as Forsberg (winning is everything).

Fun

Goalies in Europe play a blocker get the puck away at all cost style and in Europe rebounds are not as costly for a goalie as in NA on a small rink. In Finland they got smaller rinks too hence the Finnish goalies usually being better prepared for NHL.

Reactions: 21

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad