Proposal: #13 Overall for Spencer Knight

GoldiFox

Apr 21, 2014
Canes get a potential future #1 who is further along. Knight had a great developmental year at Boston College.

Florida gets a re-do on pick #13, potentially taking Askarov and giving them a year of increased breathing room. Florida also gets two picks in a row in a deep draft which can be exciting.

GoldiFox

Apr 21, 2014
I don't understand this move from Florida's perspective. I don't get why they say yes.

Bobrovsky is signed at $10 milion a year for the next 6 years. Thinking was that if Knight is ready in 2-3 years then he would be sitting behind Bob while ready for at least 3 years. Picking Askarov would at least save one year of that wait while (according to most scouts) upgrading the ceiling.

Maybe Florida finds a way to get rid of that contract when Knight is ready and avoids a Schneider-type situation.

Reactions: Helsinki Hurricanes

Dr Quincy

Jun 19, 2005
Canes get a potential future #1 who is further along. Knight had a great developmental year at Boston College.

Florida gets a re-do on pick #13, potentially taking Askarov and giving them a year of increased breathing room. Florida also gets two picks in a row in a deep draft which can be exciting.
CAR adds. No reason for FLA to give up a guy who they picked because they liked AND who developed well in his D+1 year.

Reactions: AndreiThreeK

serp

Jan 17, 2016
Bobrovsky is signed at $10 milion a year for the next 6 years. Thinking was that if Knight is ready in 2-3 years then he would be sitting behind Bob while ready for at least 3 years. Picking Askarov would at least save one year of that wait while (according to most scouts) upgrading the ceiling.

Maybe Florida finds a way to get rid of that contract when Knight is ready and avoids a Schneider-type situation.

The way Bob has been playing with the Panthers there's a decent chance Bob is going to be Knights backup in a couple of years.

Reactions: Flyer lurker

Brodeur

Feb 27, 2002
San Diego
I don't understand this move from Florida's perspective. I don't get why they say yes.

Hypothetically speaking, a new GM could step in and decide he'd want a mulligan with the pick. Although at this point, I would keep Knight so his ELC would balance out with Bobrovsky's deal in a couple years.

Off the top of my head, a similar deal would be St. Louis drafting David Rundblad in 2009 (17th overall) and trading him a year later for the 16th overall pick to take Vladimir Tarasenko. It was three years removed from his draft year, but the Islanders moved Griffin Reinhart for draft picks before after he had just completed his first pro season.

Reactions: Joel Ward

Forge

Blissfully Mediocre
Jul 4, 2018
Vegas
Bobrovsky is signed at $10 milion a year for the next 6 years. Thinking was that if Knight is ready in 2-3 years then he would be sitting behind Bob while ready for at least 3 years.

In 6 years, Knight is all of 24 or so. Honestly, there's no even a guarantee that he's ready by then, and if he is, I find it super unlikely that he's going to command a huge contract that puts them in a bind. Sure, its theoretically possible, I just think it's unlikely and not something I would be planning against. The Rangers, for example, drafted Shestyorkin in 2014...and he's just now getting NHL action at 12 games this past year at 24 years old. It can take goalies a while.

GoldiFox

Apr 21, 2014
CAR adds. No reason for FLA to give up a guy who they picked because they liked AND who developed well in his D+1 year.

Fair enough. I think Carolina would probably just go ahead and pick Askarov rather than add additional assets. Just an idea I had, similar to Darling/Reimer - but instead of swapping Cap dumps swapping future starters who potentially fit the other team's needs better.

DaveG

Noted Jerk
Apr 7, 2003
Winston-Salem NC
Makes no sense for Florida, and if Askarov is the better prospect it makes more sense for the Canes if we keep the pick and take him ourselves.

SML2

Jan 1, 2018
I don't know what Florida is doing in net. Why pick Knight if you're committing long to Bob? Now you want to scrap the kid you picked and do it over again? Jesus man. Pick a road and drive on it.

Dr Quincy

Jun 19, 2005
Fair enough. I think Carolina would probably just go ahead and pick Askarov rather than add additional assets. Just an idea I had, similar to Darling/Reimer - but instead of swapping Cap dumps swapping future starters who potentially fit the other team's needs better.
Think of it this way....

You've put a dollar in the slot machine and pulled it. It comes up cherry-cherry-x. In the split second before the final slot is revealed the guy next to you tells you he'll give you a dollar to switch seats with you right now.

Do you do it?

Dr Quincy

Jun 19, 2005
I don't know what Florida is doing in net. Why pick Knight if you're committing long to Bob? Now you want to scrap the kid you picked and do it over again? Jesus man. Pick a road and drive on it.
1) They picked Knight before they signed Bob
2) They wanted to make the playoffs and goaltending was a huge issue in the prior couple of seasons
3) Picking Knight wasn't going to help them make the playoffs for the next couple years
4) Don't draft based on current need

Now the Bob signing was a mistake because of the term and dollar amount, but there was nothing wrong with signing him and trying to win AND getting a great goalie prospect.

GoldiFox

Apr 21, 2014
Think of it this way....

You've put a dollar in the slot machine and pulled it. It comes up cherry-cherry-x. In the split second the guy next to you tells you he'll give you a dollar to switch seats with you right now.

Do you do it?

Paying Bobrovsky $10 million x 7 years adds an extra dynamic to that hypothetical, but I get the point. As I state in the OP, Knight already had a great developmental year last season. I'd be encouraged if I were a Florida fan that he could be a legit #1 in a few years. And I suppose paying Bobrovsky $10 million to be a backup isn't the worst scenario if Knight is on an ELC in those remaining years.

TheImpatientPanther

Jan 17, 2013
Ontario, Canada

Knight is likely going to stay another 2 years at BC, leaving 4 years of Bob on the books.
He may even stay 3 years if need be which leaves Bob with 3 years left.

Either way, Knight's ELC is 3 years long and we can always bridge him a year to wait out the final year of Bob.

There is no issue here with Knight being eased into the league and not thrown into the deep end right off the bat.
Bob will transition to backup when Knight is ready.

GoldiFox

Apr 21, 2014
Knight is likely going to stay another 2 years at BC, leaving 4 years of Bob on the books.
He may even stay 3 years if need be which leaves Bob with 3 years left.

Either way, Knight's ELC is 3 years long and we can always bridge him a year to wait out the final year of Bob.

There is no issue here with Knight being eased into the league and not thrown into the deep end off the bat.
Bob will transition to backup when Knight is ready.

If Knight stayed another 3 years in the NCAA wouldn't that make him eligible for UFA? Or is it different for NCAA goalies?

Lord knows how COVID cancelling the NCAA hockey season affects all that as well.

Forge

Blissfully Mediocre
Jul 4, 2018
Vegas
Who ahead of you is taking Askarov? He has a higher ceiling than Knight so just draft him

Theoretically, a couple of teams could. I wouldn't at all be shocked if Nashville pulled the trigger at 11, for example. I don't know how likely it is, but certainly wouldn't be the craziest thing ever.

bobc222

Mar 10, 2017
I wouldn't do this as Carolina. By all accounts Askarov has the higher ceiling and is also almost NHL ready.

Reactions: DaveG

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad