Value of: 13 OA to St. Louis

Mortimer Snerd

You kids get off my lawn!
Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
I don't see a deal to be made. Moving up to 13 doesn't do a ton for us and sure isn't worth giving up both first. You want a deal where you wind up with 2 first round draft picks -

So - with that said, How about a deal from Kyle Conner based on futures?

20th pick + our 2nd for Conner. Winnipeg winds up with 2 first rounds, Blues get their future center.

And no, I don't want Lowery. We have enough big energy guys.

Connor is not likely a C in the NHL - and he is still worth a lot more than 20 + 2nd.

MortiestOfMortys

Jun 27, 2015
Denver, CO
Yeah, in general I think there is something here. Moving up into lottery position could be a big deal for the Blues, we haven't been there since we took Schwartz at #14 in 2010. It would hurt to move both firsts in order to do it (I would rather move #20 and something else), but it might be worth it depending on who's falling, and depending on what else is coming back to the Blues in that scenario too. But, finicky particulars aside, I do think there's something there in principle.

Tasteless Beaver

Here for the hot takes
Jul 8, 2015
Ottawa, Ontario
I don't see a deal to be made. Moving up to 13 doesn't do a ton for us and sure isn't worth giving up both first. You want a deal where you wind up with 2 first round draft picks -

20th pick + our 2nd for Conner. Winnipeg winds up with 2 first rounds, Blues get their future center.

We're not really looking to cash in our prime prospects for distant futures at the moment.
Connor for 20th? He was a steal in 2015 at #17 (thanks Boston), and his stock has gone up [I think he goes top-10 in a re-draft]. He took some time to adjust to the pro game, but he lit up the AHL in the second half. He's worth a decent amount more, in my opinion.

10Ducky10

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 5, 2015
Connor would cost you you 20, 27 and next year's first. He isn't being moved for futures.
It would depend which guys are left on the board when 13 came up but I don't think I would do it. I do think Chevy moves it before the draft though.

LetsGoBLUES91

Jan 8, 2013
I would do it if a Center falls. The Blues have a ton of "good" prospects. They need a great one. I'd take the risk.

Although I think 20 and 27 could get higher than 13 if another team was interested. Maybe. The Kings could use 2 firsts too.

2 Minute Minor

Hi Keeba!
Jun 3, 2008
Temple, Texas
I'm not opposed to the idea, but its such a situational move its hard to have a productive discussion about it. Depends on the Blues' draft board and how the draft is shaping up. If there is a worthwhile opportunity, I would pull the trigger.

But I think its much more likely that this particular draft produces 2 prospects in the 20 and 27 spots that aren't significantly worse than whoever can be had at the 13 spot. I'd rather have 2 chances at guys I like. I like the Blues' position now, and don't think its likely they'll see a guy they feel is worth parting with both picks over.

Djp

Jul 28, 2012
Alexandria, VA
:Jets
20 OA
27 OA

:Blues
13 OA

Every mock worth its salt is calling for Winnipeg to take Valimaki, but every once in a while, you see Buffalo take him at 8th. If our guy is gone, I'd rather move down and take two of Brannstrom, Vaakanainen and Olivier-Joseph.

How does everyone feel about the value? I personally feel like it's bang-on but I'd be willing to add a (VERY) small piece to get it done.

In terms of value that is an overpayment.

in 2012 BUF trades 21st + 42 to CGY for 14th.

Calgary likely needs to be send back something.

LetsGoBooze

Buium or bust
Jan 16, 2012
Who do you like?

Outside the consensus top 2 picks, I would only do this for Vilardi, Mittelstadt, Petterson, Glass, and MAYBE (on the fence) Necas.

Other than those players, im staying put as the Blues and taking 2 prospects.

Last edited:

phlocky

Jan 2, 2007
I think something like 20+51 for 13 is a more likely deal.

But I wouldn't expect the Blues to be interested unless there is a specific player they really want who is falling but won't last until 20. That's impossible to speculate at this point.

Lol, you honestly think that a 2nd rnd pick moves you from 20 to 13 and lol at the people agreeing with you.

Honestly, if you had the #13 pick would you really trade down to #20 for only a 2nd??? If you would I'd make that trade with you every time

Frenzy31

May 21, 2003
Lol, you honestly think that a 3rd rnd pick moves you from 20 to 13 and lol at the people agreeing with you.

Honestly, if you had the #13 pick would you really trade down to #20 for only a 3rd??? If you would I'd make that trade with you every time

51st pick is the 2nd round.

phlocky

Jan 2, 2007
I wouldn't do 20 and 27 for 13 in this draft. Way better off throwing 2 darts a little later.

I agree with you, maybe 13 plus their 2nd if there is someone who fell to 13 that you really like but me personally, I'd rather, like you said, throw 2 darts at the board.

Personally, I think that if you want to offer up both the 20 & 27 picks that you can move up to around #10

NotOpie

"Puck don't lie"
Jun 12, 2006
North Carolina
As you allude to, it is a draft day trade and it is something that is dependent on what else happens.

The main aspect of it is who makes the call. If the Blues are making the call then 13+74 for 20+27 or 13+43 for 20+27+51 is probably about right.

If the Jets call the Blues about trading down, they are adding something more significant than a third to get it done.

I would do it if a Center falls. The Blues have a ton of "good" prospects. They need a great one. I'd take the risk.

Although I think 20 and 27 could get higher than 13 if another team was interested. Maybe. The Kings could use 2 firsts too.

If I was Ron Francis and hadn't already traded the Hurricanes' #12, I'd be calling STL. I'd easily offer 12+42 for 20 + 27 + 51.

Blanick

Winter is coming
Sep 20, 2011
St. Louis
Depending on who is available I would do 20thOA and our 2nd to move up to 13thOA. Someone special would have to drop for me to consider trading both first to move up 7 spots though.

simon IC

Sponsor
Sep 8, 2007
Canada

I strongly disagree! I would love Lowry on the Blues! (I'll offer Gunnarson for him :D) More to the point, like other Blues fans have stated, it depends on who falls. If Glass, Petersson, Mittlestadt or Vilardi are there, you have a deal.

LetsGoBooze

Buium or bust
Jan 16, 2012
If I was Ron Francis and hadn't already traded the Hurricanes' #12, I'd be calling STL. I'd easily offer 12+42 for 20 + 27 + 51.

One of the more interesting offers that catches my attention, but once again it all comes down to who would be available at #12.

Frenzy31

May 21, 2003
I strongly disagree! I would love Lowry on the Blues! (I'll offer Gunnarson for him :D) More to the point, like other Blues fans have stated, it depends on who falls. If Glass, Petersson, Mittlestadt or Vilardi are there, you have a deal.

I offer Gunnerson also. But the jets would likely laugh.

BStinson

Nov 11, 2013
Depending on who is available I would do 20thOA and our 2nd to move up to 13thOA. Someone special would have to drop for me to consider trading both first to move up 7 spots though.

A mid second round pick doesn't move you from 20 to 13 even in a "weak" draft.

Gabe Kupari

Jul 11, 2013
Winter is Coming

I think if any of those 4 are there, the Jets don't just walk, they strut up to the podium nature boy ric flair style and take one of those guys, more than likely, the center from Winnipeg who is a huge Jets fan in Glass.

Gabe Kupari

Jul 11, 2013
Winter is Coming
A mid second round pick doesn't move you from 20 to 13 even in a "weak" draft.

Yeah, not a chance actually, it would have to be 20 and 27 and even then, i'm not 100 percent convinced that even gets you 13. I think at 13, there will be a player the Jets like, I think you will probably have to overpay to get 13.

tgo0

Aug 28, 2007
Winnipeg
I wouldn't do 20 and 27 for 13 in this draft. Way better off throwing 2 darts a little later.

This is how I'd feel as a Blues fan unless someone really fell, and if that were the case I'd probably want the Jets to take the faller anyways.

This seems like a decent value on paper based on previous trade ups but don't see a deal getting done.

bluetuned

Mar 1, 2013
Chicago
By the time you're outside of the Top 10 the likelihood of hitting on a pick drops off dramatically. Moving from 20 to 13 in a consensus weak draft isn't going to take a massive payment. A 2nd round pick is a fairly respectable return for dropping from a mid-1st to a lower-mid 1st. It's not like you're dealing a 2nd to go from #20 to #5. Include a 3rd or a low-level prospect if it's not enough. It won't take both 1sts if it were to happen.

Last year the Jets swapped a 2nd for a 3rd to move up 4 spots from #22 to #18. The Coyotes dealt a 2nd and Joe Vitale to move up 4 spots from #20 to #16, and they took on Datsyuk's contract in the process.

TK 421

Barbashev eats babies pass it on
Sep 12, 2007
I'd prefer to keep both 1sts in this draft. The Blues Amateur Scouts are great at finding value outside the 1st rd and I would love to see what they can do with 20 and 27.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad