Value of: 13 OA to St. Louis

heilongjetsfan

Jul 4, 2011
:Jets
20 OA
27 OA

:Blues
13 OA

Every mock worth its salt is calling for Winnipeg to take Valimaki, but every once in a while, you see Buffalo take him at 8th. If our guy is gone, I'd rather move down and take two of Brannstrom, Vaakanainen and Olivier-Joseph.

How does everyone feel about the value? I personally feel like it's bang-on but I'd be willing to add a (VERY) small piece to get it done.

scarbrow21

Feb 15, 2017
Winnipeg
on board with this even if Valimaki may be available. 2 assets are better than one and makes up for the Stanley draft (kinda).

That said, this draft class will be about 2-4 years away from being ready for the big times anyways so may as well load up on them. We've got the NHL level talent already let's stock for the future as well. Wouldn't it be wild if you did that deal and Valimaki was available at 20 anyways? Or someone like Liljegren slid that far? No one saw Chychrun sliding that far down last year so who knows!

seabass45

Jan 12, 2007
That sounds about right to move up from 20 to 13, depends on who the Blues might be looking at though. Could also just require a second rounder.

heilongjetsfan

Jul 4, 2011
on board with this even if Valimaki may be available. 2 assets are better than one and makes up for the Stanley draft (kinda).

That said, this draft class will be about 2-4 years away from being ready for the big times anyways so may as well load up on them. We've got the NHL level talent already let's stock for the future as well. Wouldn't it be wild if you did that deal and Valimaki was available at 20 anyways? Or someone like Liljegren slid that far? No one saw Chychrun sliding that far down last year so who knows!

Well, honestly, if Valimaki was still there I'd probably just take him and have a nice case of the feelz. Liljegren is a guy I'd definitely be willing to take a risk on under the right circumstances. Before the season he was the consensus #2 and his late season was actually quite good. I wouldn't be hugely surprised if he was gone before 13. I wouldn't be surprised if he fell past 20 either. Jets fans probably should have seen Chychrun falling. In 2015, my fondest wish was that Chevy trade into the 5-8 range to get Kyle Connor. If we didn't trade, the guy I wanted to take with our 1st pick was Jansen Harkins. In the end we traded nothing, got both of them plus Jack Roslovic. Who knows what can happen!

phlocky

Jan 2, 2007
I think that the Blues are happy having two first rnd picks this year. I don't see them making this trade

Canada4Gold

Dec 22, 2010
I feel like that may be a little steep. The closest comparable I can find in history is Buffalo trading up from 21 to 14 in 2012 which cost 42nd overall. I would say that one was slightly on the cheaper side.

I think something like 13+74 for 20+27 might be a little bit on the fairer side

bluetuned

Mar 1, 2013
Chicago
I think something like 20+51 for 13 is a more likely deal.

But I wouldn't expect the Blues to be interested unless there is a specific player they really want who is falling but won't last until 20. That's impossible to speculate at this point.

heilongjetsfan

Jul 4, 2011
No from the Blues unless one of the top centers falls to 13.
Who do you like?

But I wouldn't expect the Blues to be interested unless there is a specific player they really want who is falling but won't last until 20. That's impossible to speculate at this point.
I agree. My willingness to make the trade at all is predicated on what I'm afraid the 12 teams ahead of us might do. That said, it HAS to be 20+27, and we have to keep 44. What do you need as an add? Who's the player who makes you do this?

MortiestOfMortys

Jun 27, 2015
Denver, CO

That's my feeling as well. 27 is available, but Harkins/Spacek should be involved in that case. If it's just pick-based, then the 2nd should be the price, and not #27.

But if we want to get really creative, I would love to get Lowry on the Blues somehow, whether that be through Vegas or otherwise.

Alklha

Sep 7, 2011
I agree. My willingness to make the trade at all is predicated on what I'm afraid the 12 teams ahead of us might do. That said, it HAS to be 20+27, and we have to keep 44. What do you need as an add? Who's the player who makes you do this?

As you allude to, it is a draft day trade and it is something that is dependent on what else happens.

The main aspect of it is who makes the call. If the Blues are making the call then 13+74 for 20+27 or 13+43 for 20+27+51 is probably about right.

If the Jets call the Blues about trading down, they are adding something more significant than a third to get it done.

Frenzy31

May 21, 2003
Who do you like?

I don't see a deal to be made. Moving up to 13 doesn't do a ton for us and sure isn't worth giving up both first. You want a deal where you wind up with 2 first round draft picks -

So - with that said, How about a deal from Kyle Conner based on futures?

20th pick + our 2nd for Conner. Winnipeg winds up with 2 first rounds, Blues get their future center.

And no, I don't want Lowery. We have enough big energy guys.

heilongjetsfan

Jul 4, 2011
As you allude to, it is a draft day trade and it is something that is dependent on what else happens.

The main aspect of it is who makes the call. If the Blues are making the call then 13+74 for 20+27 or 13+43 for 20+27+51 is probably about right.

If the Jets call the Blues about trading down, they are adding something more significant than a third to get it done.

I'm actually ok with both of these scenarios, but I'm the one calling, so I guess I need to sweeten the pot, but I don't know how without just tossing more into the pot, which makes it kinda EA-sportsy.

What I'm after personally is ideally Valimaki + DiPietro. What I'd maybe be even more excited about is Brannstrom + Olivier-Joseph + DiPietro. What I'd be happy with in a pinch is Vaakanainen +OJ + DiPietro.

20-27-51 would probably do it, but for the goalie, I'd rather keep the 2nds out of it and help you find value another way. I have forward prospects, but seeing as we're talking about the difference between 43 and 51 to get things done, can I just hand you a 2018 3rd? How about a B+ like Foley, or a B like Gennaro or Appleton?

heilongjetsfan

Jul 4, 2011
I don't see a deal to be made. Moving up to 13 doesn't do a ton for us and sure isn't worth giving up both first. You want a deal where you wind up with 2 first round draft picks -

20th pick + our 2nd for Conner. Winnipeg winds up with 2 first rounds, Blues get their future center.

If you think "their future Center" should only cost 20th + 51st, the rest of what I'd like to say won't sink in, so just this:shakehead:shakehead:shakehead

Canada4Gold

Dec 22, 2010

Isn't Connor a winger?

Mortimer Snerd

You kids get off my lawn!
Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014

Agree with the bolded but kets assume someone Blues want is there. I don't do 20 + 51. Not enough to move up 7 spots. I might do 13 + 74 for 20 + 27 but only if the players I want are all gone.

Odds are that if a C Blues want that badly has fallen to 13, Jets take the C.

carter333167

Apr 24, 2013
As a Blues fan, I would like to move up....so I would find a way to work out the minor details. Think the centers available at that level will be a tier better than the ones at 20.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad