JojoTheWhale

CORN BOY
May 22, 2008
  1. Mermaid Aveneue by Billy Bragg and Wilco
  2. The Low End Theory by A Tribe Called Quest
  3. 40 oz to Freedom by Sublime
  4. Illmatic by Nas
  5. Let's Go by Rancid
Those really don't go together at all, which is not surprising to me.

Captain Dave Poulin said:
But then trying to pick just one for that last spot is completely impossible. I can get to top four soundtracks, too:

1. The English Patient
2. Clueless
3. A Life Less Ordinary
4. Until the End of the World

None of these say Empire Records. I view this as an issue.

If you're around my age, you've probably got Can't Hardly Wait on there too, but it's cheating when you get to count Parliament in 1998.

Having stuff digital is really convenient... but the downside of it for me is that I "lose" things more easily/forget they exist. As I dont/cant ever/ have enough space on my phone for all my music... and I dont listen "that" often on my PC. Whereas I never forget the stuff I have on CD/Vinyl, as it is all there physically and if chilling for half an hour will look through and maybe stick something on I have not listened too in a while.

I cannot listen to music and run or work-out. Which I knows is strange. But I cant. When I run I completely lose my stride when I listen to music, I like hearing my footfall and it makes me run better. I get too distracted by music in the gym when it is on headphones and dont work out properly as a result. :laugh:

My CDs are completely gone, but the vinyl stays. The sound is different and some of it is almost impossible to replace due to rarity. I'm never going to find random local acts from 20-40 years ago or some of the late 70s/early 80s 7" on YouTube.

Rebels57

Former Flyers fan
Sponsor
Sep 28, 2014
Why do I see people mentioning The English Patient soundtrack? What am I missing there? I've never seen that movie because it looked impossiby borning to me as a kid and I just haven't caught it since.

Reactions: Captain Dave Poulin

Captain Dave Poulin

Imaginary Cat
Apr 30, 2015
Tokyo, JP
None of these say Empire Records. I view this as an issue.

You mean the soundtrack that includes ****tsburgh's own Gin Blossoms? Yeah, no. Having said that, Evan Dando rules. In fact, gun to my head:

1. Exile in Guyville - Liz Phair
2. Regretfully Yours - Superdrag
3. Indoor Living - Superchunk
4. The Bends - Radiohead
5. Come On Feel - The Lemonheads

Captain Dave Poulin

Imaginary Cat
Apr 30, 2015
Tokyo, JP
Why do I see people mentioning The English Patient soundtrack? What am I missing there? I've never seen that movie because it looked impossiby borning to me as a kid and I just haven't caught it since.

First of all, you are not a kid anymore. Second of all, it rules - it is the most romantic film ever with the possible exceptions of "Casablanca" and "Rocky II." Third of all, read the book. Fourth of all, it is classical music with a Middle-Eastern flavor, and it is transcendant, and that is the only time you will ever see me say that about classical music. You have to see the film to understand the impact of the music. Fifth of all, you have to watch it without cynicism, which "Seinfeld" made nearly impossible for some people. Sixth of all, if you watch it and don't respond to it, keep it to yourself.

JojoTheWhale

CORN BOY
May 22, 2008
It was one great song. Better Than ****ing Ezra is on there. Feel shame.

Ok, here's the thing. I don't mind Better Than Ezra, but with an asterisk.

This is because there was a local alternative/punk/modern rock radio station in Philadelphia (WDRE 1992-97) that was directly responsible for opening me up to the music I enjoyed. Everything they had in rotation holds a little bit of a place in my heart.

DancingPanther

Foundational Titan
Sponsor
Jun 19, 2018
Man, as much of a music nerd that I am...the 90s are a void to me. I know nothing other than Eminem

Not for lack of good music, im familiar with the usual big hits and don't complain about them as some stain on music history like some people do (eyeroll...) but I just don't know it like I know classic rock

Captain Dave Poulin

Imaginary Cat
Apr 30, 2015
Tokyo, JP
Ok, here's the thing. I don't mind Better Than Ezra, but with an asterisk.

This is because there was a local alternative/punk/modern rock radio station in Philadelphia (WDRE 1992-97) that was directly responsible for opening me up to the music I enjoyed. Everything they had in rotation holds a little bit of a place in my heart.

That's understandable. I used to call Better Than Ezra "Worse than ****ing S**t" and "More Ezra Than Ezra" and many other similar things. In the 80s, there was this band I hated called Johnny Hates Jazz, and I used to call them "Dave Hates Johnny Hates Jazz" (except substituting my actual first name for Dave lol)

Last edited:
Reactions: JojoTheWhale

flyersnorth

Oct 7, 2019
it’s extremely difficult to consistently produce high quality creative content for years. The vast majority of bands peak at album 1 or 2. Most comedians only have a couple good years.

I think there's a lot to unpack here.

Often, your 'favourite' album of a given band is the first one you heard - either that or it is associated with a significant period in your life. It captured the zeitgeist.

But what happens before or after is just a reflection of an artist's growth and change over the years. It's all subjective, and some periods might resonate with you more than others, and some none at all.

For example, Metallica's early stuff really resonated with me as it came out in my teens and I was full of piss and vinegar. So were they. Now, not so much for either.

Then you've got artists who never ever change the formula (AC/DC) and others who constantly do (Bowie).

My 5 top 80s albums -

Metallica - Master of Puppets
Metallica - ...And Justice For All
Slayer - Reign in Blood
Motley Crue - Shout at the Devil
Rush - Moving Pictures

Honestly, the only one I can say I still listen to on occasion is Rush. The music feels more timeless and mature, whereas the others are very period-specific.

Reactions: JojoTheWhale

Beef Invictus

Revolutionary Positivity
Dec 21, 2009
Armored Train
Man, as much of a music nerd that I am...the 90s are a void to me. I know nothing other than Eminem

Not for lack of good music, im familiar with the usual big hits and don't complain about them as some stain on music history like some people do (eyeroll...) but I just don't know it like I know classic rock

If classic rock is your lane, then I think the first album that comes to mind for you to try out from the 90s is Alice in Chains' "Jar of Flies"

JojoTheWhale

CORN BOY
May 22, 2008
If classic rock is your lane, then I think the first album that comes to mind for you to try out from the 90s is Alice in Chains' "Jar of Flies"

Yes, this was great, but I can't think of them without missing side projects/supergroups really being a thing outside of what Jack White decides to do this month. Mad Season was fantastic too.

Most people aren't seeing whichever random people sit in with Snarky Puppy, so I don't count those appearances.

Beef Invictus

Revolutionary Positivity
Dec 21, 2009
Armored Train
Yes, this was great, but I can't think of them without missing side projects/supergroups really being a thing outside of what Jack White decides to do this month. Mad Season was fantastic too.

"Jar of Flies" was written and recorded in a week. A WEEK.

That's musical genius right there. This album just kind of fell out of them.

Captain Dave Poulin

Imaginary Cat
Apr 30, 2015
Tokyo, JP

I doubt very much that you would get out of it anywhere near what we did as it was happening, because it was so much of its time. I swear, it was absolutely crazy. Smashing Pumpkins, for example, came out with "Bullet With Butterfly Wings," with a great video where D'arcy looks scrumptious, then they followed it with "1979," then "Zero," then "Tonight, Tonight" - it was insane, and that was just one band. Oasis had "Wonderwall" and "Champagne Supernova" and "Don't Look Back in Anger" back to back to back (I think). I remember I was down at uni and Soul Asylum put out "Misery" and the Jayhawks had "Blue" and I was like "Where did all the terrible music go? Is anyone going to **** up ever again?" There were songs just filling every gap all the time - Sonic Youth put out "Bull in the Heather" and ... there are just way too many to name.

Thankfully, Hootie and that "Two Princes" ginger uterus and the ****ing J*** Blossoms were there to show that we were still grounded in the reality that crap exists.

JojoTheWhale

CORN BOY
May 22, 2008
I doubt very much that you would get out of it anywhere near what we did as it was happening, because it was so much of its time. I swear, it was absolutely crazy. Smashing Pumpkins, for example, came out with "Bullet With Butterfly Wings," with a great video where D'arcy looks scrumptious, then they followed it with "1979," then "Zero," then "Tonight, Tonight" - it was insane, and that was just one band. Oasis had "Wonderwall" and "Champagne Supernova" and "Don't Look Back in Anger" back to back to back (I think). I remember I was down at uni and Soul Asylum put out "Misery" and the Jayhawks had "Blue" and I was like "Where did all the terrible music go? Is anyone going to **** up ever again?" There were songs just filling every gap all the time - Sonic Youth put out "Bull in the Heather" and ... there are just way too many to name.

Thankfully, Hootie and that "Two Princes" ginger uterus and the ****ing J*** Blossoms were there to show that we were still grounded in the reality that crap exists.

Oasis was the best band of the decade. Not my favorite at all. But the best. I don't care how awful they were to everyone including themselves.

The back end of Definitely Maybe has zero hits outside of the UK and is completely flawless.

Ghosts Beer

I saw Goody Fletcher with the Devil!
Feb 10, 2014
Fun fact: the Lemonheads’ “Into Your Arms” is a cover.

The Lemonheads’ replacement bassist was part of a pop duo with a woman who wrote it.

Reactions: Beef Invictus

Ghosts Beer

Feb 10, 2014
I have seen Oasis twice & Noel Gallagher solo twice (the last of which was in August with Smashing Pumpkins & Noel really mailed it in).

They were a good band. My sister loved them & had a Geocities fan page called My Big Mouth or something like that. I don’t think they were the best band of the 90s, but they are up there. Noel was an excellent songwriter & is very wryly funny. I disliked Liam but the first time I saw him live I understood his importance. Great stage presence.

DancingPanther

Foundational Titan
Sponsor
Jun 19, 2018

To continue rambling:

1) the R&B/hip hop genre owes a whole lot to the 90s

2) much of the "pop rock" that we hear today stems from those 90s stereotypical bands who didn't pronounce their words well. In a way, the 90s ushered in a type of new wave rock sound that evolved and continues today, even at the mainstream level

3) I've often thought about this. There's never going to be "music nerds" ever again. My dad knows every word and factoid to every single song that comes into Classic Vinyl on Sirius. He knows the release year, he knows the record label, he knows some crazy arcane story about it....without fail. THAT is the type of "music nerd" I'm talking about, and I think it's because of music steaming platforms. For what it's worth, some people like me will be that way with their favorite bands, but not to the broad extend of simply "classic rock"

Nowadays people have everything. EVERYTHING. at their disposal. Underground stuff is just as easy to "find" as the charted tracks in the world of "type it into Spotify and listen". As such, there's an infinite amount of music to explore which eliminates that type of keeper of the arcane type of music brain. It almost spreads the music listener so thin that they're into these different random niches and subgenres, minding their own business because they can, instead of listening to EVERYTHING under some crazily broad umbrella of "classic rock". Dad knows all that shit because in some ways it's literally all he had to listen to at the time. If you couldn't physically find 30s jazz records, you truly had no way to listen to it.

To put it another way and to use me as an example- I'm a big computer music fan too. One of my favorite producers I've been following since 10k people were listening to him on SoundCloud. I wouldn't have a prayer at discovering this guy without digitization (YouTube, etc) unless he opened up for someone on tour. But here we are, with "future/melodic bass" or "sadboi" as one of my favorite genres of music (further illustrating my point? Don't even know what the sub genre is called), whereas hard dubstep is not for me, even though it's part of "EDM"

I'm done incoherently rambling. It's just a weird thing I've noticed/contemplated over the years

Beef Invictus

Revolutionary Positivity
Dec 21, 2009
Armored Train
Please Please Me was recorded in a day. 14 hours, I believe.

I'll have to give it a listen at work, to pass the 10 hours.

Yeah, that's how recording worked in those days; you did all your writing and rehearsing at home until you had everything perfected, then you had one or two days in the studio (that you often had to pay for), especially up and coming acts. The notion of bands just hanging out in the studio for months and months tooling around until an album formed was simply not a thing then. Especially for new bands, even if labels had high hopes for them.

The Allman Bros' first album, of the same name, was on a similarly tight schedule. All the music and vocals were recorded in a marathon session; you can hear Gregg's voice coming apart at times. Then it was produced for a week or two.

What's nuts about Jar of Flies is that week time frame includes the writing as well as recording.

Ghosts Beer

Feb 10, 2014
"While on vacation in Hawaii, I wrote this song late one night on wet cocktail napkins after a long day of improbable and grotesque mischief. Obviously, I survived all that, but I learned something from the experience: I never take vacations."

Reactions: Beef Invictus

DancingPanther

Foundational Titan
Sponsor
Jun 19, 2018
Yeah, that's how recording worked in those days; you did all your writing and rehearsing at home until you had everything perfected, then you had one or two days in the studio (that you often had to pay for), especially up and coming acts. The notion of bands just hanging out in the studio for months and months tooling around until an album formed was simply not a thing then. Especially for new bands, even if labels had high hopes for them.

The Allman Bros' first album, of the same name, was on a similarly tight schedule. All the music and vocals were recorded in a marathon session; you can hear Gregg's voice coming apart at times. Then it was produced for a week or two.

What's nuts about Jar of Flies is that week time frame includes the writing as well as recording.
That's why Lennon's voice is a mess in Twist and Shout!

I love stories like that- how it really makes something you hear just make sense

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad