13-14 Prospects Thread Version XVIII: Matt Finn Named OHL Dman of the Month

Status
Not open for further replies.

Patience

Sep 8, 2013
Connor Brown led Erie in scoring before McDavid joined the team. Scoring without McDavid shouldn't be a revelation.

Judas Tavares

S2S (Sundin2Sandin)
Sponsor
Feb 9, 2007
Surprised no one was on this yet (be excited guys not everyone is a bust!).

Rupert with an assist and Carter Verbeauty with 2 goals and 1 assist, back into 3rd in the O in scoring.

7even

Offered and lost
Feb 1, 2012
North Carolina
Surprised no one was on this yet (be excited guys not everyone is a bust!).

Rupert with an assist and Carter Verbeauty with 2 goals and 1 assist, back into 3rd in the O in scoring.

I try really hard not to get too excited about any of our guys because development is so crazy, but I'm finding it difficult not to be excited with Verhaeghe. He's two goals and 8 points off last season's totals in less than a third of the games, all while being good-to-great defensively. He and super squirt Andreas Johnson are quickly becoming my favourite junior prospects (well technically Johnson's pro but whatever you know what I mean).

jughead42*

Leaf draftees in the OHL are absolutely shining, we've got some gems. It's no surprise that the fortunes of Leaf player development took an upswing when they started to focus more on guys in the OHL. It's the best league for developing NHL players without question, and having so many guys ripping it up is most certainly a sign of good things to come. I've seen the Leafs draft enough guys who never came close to leading their league in scoring over the years, so we should rejoice that we've got guys who are doing that in the OHL of all leagues. It's a good thing for sure.

sniper81

Oct 30, 2009
toronto
Leaf draftees in the OHL are absolutely shining, we've got some gems. It's no surprise that the fortunes of Leaf player development took an upswing when they started to focus more on guys in the OHL. It's the best league for developing NHL players without question, and having so many guys ripping it up is most certainly a sign of good things to come. I've seen the Leafs draft enough guys who never came close to leading their league in scoring over the years, so we should rejoice that we've got guys who are doing that in the OHL of all leagues. It's a good thing for sure.

I agree with the OHL being most dominant and best development league in the world, we seem to get the most premiere American talent which has really helped.

Patience

Sep 8, 2013
I think the main reason for the OHL's dominance is that its population (13 million) is greater than B.C., Alberta, Sask. and Manitoba combined (10 million).

NarcoPolo

Jul 16, 2012
I think the main reason for the OHL's dominance is that its population (13 million) is greater than B.C., Alberta, Sask. and Manitoba combined (10 million).

Not to mention that the gthl is probably the best minor hockey league system in the world in terms of producing nhl players.

theIceWookie

#LeafHysteriaAlert
Dec 19, 2010
Canada
I try really hard not to get too excited about any of our guys because development is so crazy, but I'm finding it difficult not to be excited with Verhaeghe. He's two goals and 8 points off last season's totals in less than a third of the games, all while being good-to-great defensively. He and super squirt Andreas Johnson are quickly becoming my favourite junior prospects (well technically Johnson's pro but whatever you know what I mean).

It's hard not to get excited about them.

Even with Johnson's cold streak (if you can call it that), he's still 11th in league scoring. That's damn impressive for a guy who just made the jump to the SHL. You definitely have to be patient with him and not expect him come over and start playing like Martin St Louis or Pat Kane, but when you saw him as a 7th rounder, he's been awesome.

And obviously Verghaeghe is exciting. In his third OHL season, he's making a huge offensive improvement. I sort of thought Morrison was crazy saying he could put up 100 points, and yet he's on pace to put up 115 over 68 games and 50 goals. I think the crazier thing though, is how consistent he's been. He's literally only been kept off the scoreboard TWICE all season. That's insane.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad