13-14 Prospects Thread Version XVIII: Matt Finn Named OHL Dman of the Month

Status
Not open for further replies.

Eyedea

The Legend Continues
Jan 29, 2012
Toronto, Ontario
Bigger reason was that one was listed at 6' 195 lbs. the other at 5'9" 150 lbs.

For sure, genetics play a huge role in development. Who knows, maybe Lindholm won't grow anymore while Johnson is still waiting on his spurt. Elite prospects has Johnson's father listed as 6'2 185 so there's always a possibility he may reach or exceed that (latter extremely unlikely though).

namttebih

Dec 11, 2010
East York
Hey guys, I've unfortunately not had time to watch a lot of hockey outside of Leafs games this year. Judging by their play, would it be unreasonable to think that Percy could be on the 14/15 team and Finn on the 15/16 edition?

Green Snow Storm

Jul 22, 2009
Canada
Hey guys, I've unfortunately not had time to watch a lot of hockey outside of Leafs games this year. Judging by their play, would it be unreasonable to think that Percy could be on the 14/15 team and Finn on the 15/16 edition?
I wouldn't call it unreasonable, both players are looking like very good prospects. I think they both could be top 4 defenceman for us in the not too distant future. Finn is looking tremendous in the OHL this year definitely looks like a prospect that should of been picked mid first round in 2012.

Last edited:

SprDaVE

Sep 20, 2008
Any NCAA fans that can comment on how Knodel, Toninato and Cameranesi have looked thus far?

Seems like Toninato and Cameranesi are off to a slow starts in terms of points, while Knodel is on pace to eclipse his totals from the previous year again.

Joey Hoser

Jan 8, 2008
Guelph
Three games in a row now without a point for Johnson. No one panic. :o

Being a 7th round boom/bust type of prospect, you'd expect to forget about the day after the draft, only to be reminded of him 3 years later when someone mentions that we lost his rights a year ago.

It's kinda silly to be disappointed.

Mystifo

No more Mr.FightGuy
May 26, 2011
YYT
I have to ask as I have not watched much OHL due to living in Newfoundland. But how is the Matt Finn hype train going? Should I be deeming him the steal of that draft?

JEI

Jericho
Jun 7, 2004
Any NCAA fans that can comment on how Knodel, Toninato and Cameranesi have looked thus far?

Seems like Toninato and Cameranesi are off to a slow starts in terms of points, while Knodel is on pace to eclipse his totals from the previous year again.

I actually think, point wise, Toninato is doing fine for a rookie. Fourth on the team in points, where the teams leading scorer has 6.

Don't think the team is off to a great start either which may play a factor in point totals.

theIceWookie

#LeafHysteriaAlert
Dec 19, 2010
Canada
I actually think, point wise, Toninato is doing fine for a rookie. Fourth on the team in points, where the teams leading scorer has 6.

Don't think the team is off to a great start either which may play a factor in point totals.

Agreed, as a rookie it's hardly a bad start. Quite close to what Jankowski put up last year.

SprDaVE

Sep 20, 2008
True, true.

I guess compared to Cameranesi's rookie start last year (~PPG for most of the year), I had high expectations for Toninato.

The Winter Soldier

Apr 4, 2011

When Matt Finn was picked in the 2nd rd, I was very happy. It was almost like picking up a 2nd first rd pick in 2012, glad to see he is healthy this year. Nice prospect we have here.

Cor

I am a bot
Jun 24, 2012
AEF
When Matt Finn was picked in the 2nd rd, I was very happy. It was almost like picking up a 2nd first rd pick in 2012, glad to see he is healthy this year. Nice prospect we have here.

I believe it was Dave Morrison who told this story.

Starting at the 16th pick in the draft, he and Cliff thought he would go the next pick. By like the 25th pick they were like seriously he has to be next. He fell all the way to Toronto. They were ecstatic.

theIceWookie

#LeafHysteriaAlert
Dec 19, 2010
Canada
True, true.

I guess compared to Cameranesi's rookie start last year (~PPG for most of the year), I had high expectations for Toninato.

My theory on this is that players that depend more on talent, rather than a blend of talent with size, tend to make jumps in levels more easily, at least before the pro level. So with Toninato has to deal with a little more learning of playing against bigger players who are more comparable in size to him than USHL players, where with Cameranesi's it's just more of the same (playing against bigger stronger players. Doesn't change as much when you're always smaller than the majority of players.

zeke

The Dube Abides
Mar 14, 2005
personally I'm not giving any credit to the two NCAA guys until they show me something really impressive. neither have, yet.

DevinH2004

Nov 29, 2009
I really think we need to give both Robertson and Knodel a shot. However, we actually have another year to wait on Knodel. He was "redshirted" his first year of College, so apparently he can stay and play another which one poster said will likely happen. If we gave MacWilliam a chance, I think these two deserve it as well. Especially Robertson, being the captain of his team and all.

In terms of players that we need to decide on for next year, who do you guys think we actually sign:

Robertson, Everson, Loov, Finn, Rupert, Brown

Finn and Brown seem the obvious choices, but if I had to pick one out of the other four, I go with Robertson.

The Winter Soldier

Apr 4, 2011
I believe it was Dave Morrison who told this story.

Starting at the 16th pick in the draft, he and Cliff thought he would go the next pick. By like the 25th pick they were like seriously he has to be next. He fell all the way to Toronto. They were ecstatic.

Yep, I think that was Mo and Poulin going back and forth. Behind the draft Burke hung up the phone pretty quickly before Finn was picked. I think we stole him.

Stringer Bell

Dec 16, 2009
I really think we need to give both Robertson and Knodel a shot. However, we actually have another year to wait on Knodel. He was "redshirted" his first year of College, so apparently he can stay and play another which one poster said will likely happen. If we gave MacWilliam a chance, I think these two deserve it as well. Especially Robertson, being the captain of his team and all.

In terms of players that we need to decide on for next year, who do you guys think we actually sign:

Finn and Brown seem the obvious choices, but if I had to pick one out of the other four, I go with Robertson.

How does that work, let's say, if he earned his degree in those four years and has no more necessary credits?

Don't think there is any chance we sign Everson.

theIceWookie

#LeafHysteriaAlert
Dec 19, 2010
Canada

I'd expect all 4 of the bolded to get signed. I haven't seen any reason why they wouldn't.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad